Thread: New Strawbs coming next year

New Strawbs coming next year

Last one was pretty good. They seem to be leaning more to the progressive style lately. Not sure if that will be the case for this one but it's the same lineup as the last one. Amazing that these guys just keep going and producing quality new music after all these years. Settlement is due in February next year.

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/strawbs-...gends-strawbs/

Rick

That's great news.
    Dave is also working on the 50th annv dvd. That was one of the most amazing weekends of music we've ever attended.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    That's great news.
    Dave is also working on the 50th annv dvd. That was one of the most amazing weekends of music we've ever attended.
    I didn't know there was going to be a forthcoming DVD of that show..AWESOME!!!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Last one was pretty good. They seem to be leaning more to the progressive style lately. Not sure if that will be the case for this one but it's the same lineup as the last one. Amazing that these guys just keep going and producing quality new music after all these years. Settlement is due in February next year.

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/strawbs-...gends-strawbs/

Rick
    I think we're really lucky that a band as fantasatic at the Strawbs is still releasing quality music. There show at FMPM in Montreal about 10 years ago was excellent, very memorable. Got to meet the band members in the elevators of the host hotel. The Strawbs rank very high in the history of progressive rock, just glad they're still going strong.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I didn't know there was going to be a forthcoming DVD of that show..AWESOME!!!
    Larry Fast mentioned on the Nearfest Reunion Soal episode that he was working on the Strawbs 50th Weekend! That will hopefully be a 2021 Auto-Buy.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I didn’t get to go to the anniversary show. A dvd would great. I wonder if it’s just highlights or most of the show.

This is excellent news (both)!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I think we're really lucky that a band as fantasatic at the Strawbs is still releasing quality music. There show at FMPM in Montreal about 10 years ago was excellent, very memorable. Got to meet the band members in the elevators of the host hotel. The Strawbs rank very high in the history of progressive rock, just glad they're still going strong.
    This exactly. We are lucky that the Strawbs still want to play and record! If only for a few other favorite bands of mine.

David Cousins says:
    “Judgement Day may be challenging, but to me it is highly rewarding. It was recorded in difficult times and the recording process was equally difficult.
    My first visit to South Africa was in January last year, just before the first lockdown. I had the privilege of playing with the country’s finest bass player, Schalk Joubert, who introduced me to African cross-rhythms – irregular, but utterly compelling. This became the setting for Judgement Day.
    The lyrics reflect the plight of those most affected by the deprivations brought about by the unrelenting Covid virus. Schalk generates a hypnotic 5/4 groove, over which clattery drums, handclaps, Dave Lambert’s eerie guitar, and sparse organ create the edgy atmosphere. Judgement Day may be challenging, but it is the Strawbs single that I value most.”
    The song is produced by Blue Weaver who played with Strawbs and Bee Gees in their 1970s heydays and also produced the new album. The recording was coordinated from Blue’s studio in Germany, where he now lives. Strawbs are David Cousins, Dave Lambert, Chas Cronk, Dave Bainbridge, and Tony Fernandez who last played together at Strawbs’ 50th Anniversary Weekend in Lakewood, New Jersey in April 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Larry Fast mentioned on the Nearfest Reunion Soal episode that he was working on the Strawbs 50th Weekend! That will hopefully be a 2021 Auto-Buy.
    I was going to ask about it here, great to hear it is in works. Saw Strawbs in Rochester but missed the main event in Lakewood, NJ. I have seen them there on other occasion some years earlier and it is a great venue. It would be so great to experience this celebration at least through video. Hopefully it will be a whole package - CDs and DVD or BR.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

I notice the CD has three more tracks than the vinyl. Are there three bonus tracks on the CD or did they just lop off the last three tracks to squeeze them onto an LP?

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I notice the CD has three more tracks than the vinyl. Are there three bonus tracks on the CD or did they just lop off the last three tracks to squeeze them onto an LP?
    Couldn't find any information why, but it seems logical they just would not fit on a vinyl. Good catch, although, I would have bought a CD version anyway.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

https://youtu.be/jf5Yp-FU-AE

I really dig this new Strawbs tune. Olde school vibe. Dave still sounds great here.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

I really dig this new Strawbs tune. Olde school vibe. Dave still sounds great here.
    I think that's John Ford singing. He co-wrote the song. I might be wrong but it doesn't quite sound like Dave to me.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

I actually like this one better than the other new song released already. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    I think that's John Ford singing. He co-wrote the song. I might be wrong but it doesn't quite sound like Dave to me.
    Correct. Here is John talking about how the song came together. https://www.facebook.com/strawbsweb/...06258336554534
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 02-14-2021 at 04:34 AM.