Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Basketball Tournament 2013

Way to go Caines!!!!! Woohoo!!!

Go Zags!

Hurricanes are ACC Champs!!!!! Woo yeah!!!!!!!

Cheers y'all. I just drank a green beer in honor of St. Paddy

Quote Originally Posted by expojeff View Post
    Go Zags!
    I'm with you on that. I'm tired of the same old teams winning it all. I haven't watched a lot of games this season, but I am certainly looking forward to the madness this year. I should do a pool, can't do worse than I did a couple years back, coming in second to last.

Anyone else watching the WI-Ohio State game?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Anyone else watching the WI-Ohio State game?
    Watched the last 10 minutes Steve, didn't think the play was that spirited. Selection show at 6 eastern and then "Survive and Advance" on ESPN at 9.

Wisconsin has some similarities to Pitt. It's the most wonderful time of the sporting year.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    The tournament starts next week. UCLA beats Arizona for the third time this year and I think they will still end up with a lower seed.
    FWIW, they both got 6 seeds, though UCLA got the tougher 1st-round match-up. In fact, I expect that Minnesota will be the favorite over UCLA, by the point-spread.
    Last edited by Facelift; 03-17-2013 at 08:02 PM.

The Caines are seeded number 2. Shit YEAH!!!!

How does Louisville get the overall #1 seed and get the toughest bracket?
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

There's one 2nd round game (can't remember who), where the #12 seed is practically playing at home against a #5 that had to travel a lot farther.

I do know it's not #5 Wisconsin & #12 Old Miss in KC, MO.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    FWIW, they both got 6 seeds, though UCLA got the tougher 1st-round match-up. In fact, I expect that Minnesota will be the favorite over UCLA, by the point-spread.
    Yeah they both got 6 seeds but Arizona is in the west, UCLA in the south and more strange, Oregon is a 12 seed in the East. Consider UCLA and Oregon beat Arizona this year and never lost to them, both finished higher in the conference, UCLA won the regular season conference and Oregon the tourney winner yet both get shipped out and Az remains in the west. California is given, what is as close as can be called, a home game in San Jose. As Ben Howland said in reaction to their seeding I would rather be a 12 seed in San Jose than a 6 seed in Austin, Tx. Sean Miller and Mike Montgomery must have some good friends on the selection committee.
    Minnesota will not be favored over UCLA although they certainly could beat them especially after the Bruins losing Jordan Adams. I can see the game going either way but I will give Ben Howland this he is a great preparation coach given the time as he has now. I will also state Ben Howland will not be the Bruins coach next year.

There's one 2nd round game (can't remember who), where the #12 seed is practically playing at home against a #5 that had to travel a lot farther.

I do know it's not #5 Wisconsin & #12 Old Miss in KC, MO.
    Cal vs UNLV in San Jose.

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    This was explained on ESPN. Georgetown, the last seeded #2 couldn't be seeded as a #2 in the same region as Louisville (because they're both in the same conference). Miami was automatically sent to the East, by virtue of their being the highest seeded #2 (the highest #2 gets assigned to their "home" region). They didn't want Ohio State seeded in the Indianapolis region, as the overall No. 1 is rewarded by their No. 2 being prohibited from being from the same home region (their #2 couldn't be a Big 10 team). So that left Duke. According to the S curve, the top #1 seed gets the top #3 seed, which they apparently did, with Michigan State. So their region looks tougher because they got the 2nd #2 (which a lot of people think is really the first #2 - and frankly, I thought Duke should be the 4th #1) and not the 4th No. 2.

Basically, they did everything by the book, it's just that the rules didn't produce the most equitable outcome .

This was explained on ESPN. Georgetown, the last seeded #2 couldn't be seeded as a #2 in the same region as Louisville (because they're both in the same conference). Miami was automatically sent to the East, by virtue of their being the highest seeded #2 (the highest #2 gets assigned to their "home" region). They didn't want Ohio State seeded in the Indianapolis region, as the overall No. 1 is rewarded by their No. 2 being prohibited from being from the same home region (their #2 couldn't be a Big 10 team). So that left Duke. According to the S curve, the top #1 seed gets the top #3 seed, which they apparently did, with Michigan State. So their region looks tougher because they got the 2nd #2 (which a lot of people think is really the first #2 - and frankly, I thought Duke should be the 4th #1) and not the 4th No. 2.

Basically, they did everything by the book, it's just that the rules didn't produce the most equitable outcome .
    I got a headache reading that!

Re-reading it, so did I! I guess the simpler way of putting it is that the top 2 no. 1 seeds, Louisville and Indiana, in order, "should" have faced Georgetown (the lowest #2) and Ohio State (the 2nd-lowest #2) respectively, based on the committee's S-curve. But because of rule conflicts, Louisville couldn't play either of these teams, so they got the next #2 in line, which was Duke. Indiana, being seeded in the East, had to get Miami as their #2, since Miami got an automatic assignment to their home region, by virtue of their being the highest-seeded #2 seed.

So did I . That's why I only watch the games and leave all the off-court technicalities to the much smarter members here .

Anyway, great game yesterday between NC and Miami. Like I said before I normally don't care for college hoops but since I have a team to root for it's gonna be fun. The big U here has never had a great basketball program but obviously they've created a buzz this year. The thing I've noticed about this team since I've been watching the games over the last couple weeks is that some of the guys don't protect the ball enough. Seems like every time they dribble into coverage they turn the ball over. Makes my head explode.
    Last edited by Vic2012; 03-18-2013 at 07:21 AM.

Two things this season has taught me: Jim Larinaga can flat out coach and that George Mason was not a fluke. Shaka Smart can flat out coach and it doesn't matter what league he is in, he will be successful. VCU was/is not a fluke (even though his #1 supporter on this board is quite flukey).
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

The whole system seemed convoluted. However, being the #1 overall seed, it means they should be able to beat anyone they play. Still don't know why they are above any other #1, especially Gonzaga, who are still on top of the rankings. Of course once the tourney starts, throw out all those rankings.

The polls are the least of the criteria used. It is now mostly RPI and conference RPI they use for weighting. Here is the breakdown:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...rpi/_/sort/RPI

Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    The polls are the least of the criteria used. It is now mostly RPI and conference RPI they use for weighting. Here is the breakdown:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...rpi/_/sort/RPI
    They don't use the polls or RPI. RPI is a closer indication of how the committee rates a team than the polls (which only go 1-25 anyway), which is why it's often referenced in conversations about the tournament field. But they have their own metric, which is based on similar criteria to the RPI. And even then, that metric is only one of several factors that they use to seed the teams (and those factors - such as performance over last 10 games, strength of best wins, weaknesses of bad losses, non-conference schedule strength, injuries to key players - seem to wax and wane in importance depending on what year it is).

They don't use the polls or RPI. RPI is a closer indication of how the committee rates a team than the polls (which only go 1-25 anyway), which is why it's often referenced in conversations about the tournament field. But they have their own metric, which is based on similar criteria to the RPI. And even then, that metric is only one of several factors that they use to seed the teams (and those factors - such as performance over last 10 games, strength of best wins, weaknesses of bad losses, non-conference schedule strength, injuries to key players - seem to wax and wane in importance depending on what year it is).

Obviously they have other factors but it is close enough and head to head is not one of them.

I loved the explanation (or lack thereof) as to why Oregon got a 12 seed even though they were "slotted" to be an 11.

Despite the flaws, I love it.

The biggest problem is, to me, that in conference and out of conference means nothing. In other words a non conference game against a ranked opponent in November in Hawaii or New York holds equal or more wight than a conference win or loss. Conference is way harder because of the familiarization and the rivalry factor.

Shaka Smart can flat out coach and it doesn't matter what league he is in, he will be successful. VCU was/is not a fluke (even though his #1 supporter on this board is quite flukey).
    My son Mike (now 36) played high school basketball against Shaka in the same conference, and for 2 years they were BOTH 1st team all-conference. They were friendly (rivals) with each other all through HS, and Mike's elated at Shaka's success.