Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Live tracks that beat studio versions

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Even on one of those BBC concerts (the 1971 one, I think), John Peel mentions that Pink Floyd never wanted that studio version of 'Embryo' coming out in the first place. I think until a few years ago, the only Pink Floyd album (as opposed to various artists albums) it was ever on was that oddball Capitol collection, Works.
    He says that it was a demo "recorded for their own edification", whatever that might entail. I've also heard the recording described as "unfinished". Who knows what they actually intended to do with it at the time, unless they were thinking of working on it at a later date. And yes, I believe it was only ever released on the Picnic compilation (which was withdrawn from the market very soon after it's release, due to the Embryo gaffe), Works, and the Early Years boxset. Which is why it seems strange to me that it was some prominent part of their live set for the better part of 2 years (being played regularly through 1970 and 1971).
    [

There used to be a youtube link to KC Earthbound but it seems hard to find though individual tracks are still there.
    Very good indeedy.
    I also continue to love the live version of suppers ready where PG rebukes Phil for forgetting to accompany him during his intro whilst he himself makes mistake re old michael/ old henry, lol double standards. Good ol class divide

Great theatre legendary live recording.

ANY song from Seconds Out - Genesis. A timeless Live masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    American Pie I could see, being that's it's...well, it's not excatly what I'd call "rock n roll". But I had the impression that AM radio was mostly top 40, while all the "album oriented" rock stuff was confined to FM radio. But what do I know? By the time I was listening to the radio, AM mostly talk radio, big band (and other ancient musical stylings) and religion.
    Um.

"Do You Feel..." reached #10 in the American charts, #9 in the Canadian.

That's "Top 40" material right there.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Renaissance Live at Carnegie Hall was the first one that came to mind.

A few people brought up Frampton Comes Alive and that was the opposite for me since I was already a fan since the Humble Pie Days and had all four of the solo studio albums from which the Comes Alive tracks were derived. So I was used to the studio versions first and while the live album of course brings the energy level up, at the time I wasn't thrilled with the live band. Drummer John Siomos was the only one who actually played on the studio albums. The keyboardist and bassist did not. Rick Wills did a lot of the bass playing on the studio albums and he was solid, tight. And the fact that all of these people who never heard of Frampton were coming out of the woodwork going nuts over one of my cult favorites and rendering the tunes unlistenable because of radio overplay didn't help my mood either.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    had all four of the solo studio albums from which the Comes Alive tracks were derived.
    You're the one? I remember the Wherehouse blowing the first couple of albums out for a penny before Comes Alive came out.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Vanilla Queen-Golden Earring
    Feel The Benefit-10CC
    Solar Music-Grobschnitt

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Renaissance Live at Carnegie Hall was the first one that came to mind.
    Although I can do without who I assume is Mick Dunford telling me that murdering your wife every night is "quite clever".
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

I’ve recently been reading the new Joe Banks Hawkwind book and it has sent me back to those early classic era albums, and amongst them Space Ritual clearly has the definitive versions of many of their cornerstone space-rocking tracks, albeit mixed amidst the new (Calvert’s poetry and readings of Moorcock’s prose). It has long been a favourite album of mine, and was a real trip back in the day when as a teenager I would sit with the lights off, immersed in this weird and wonderful other-world. It was a quite a revolutionary take on the standard double live greatest hits set that was so ubiquitous at the time.

To make it short, this is my TOP 10 List:

Seconds Out - Genesis
    Yesshows - YES
    Welcome Back my Friends - ELP
    Live Killers - Queen
    Paris - Supertramp

All time Classic Rock Live:

Made in Japan - Deep Purple
    Frampton Comes Alive _ Peter Frampton
    Performance Rockin' the Fillmore - Humble Pie
    At Fillmore East - The Allman Bros
    Mad Dogs & Englishmen - Joe Cocker