Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Live tracks that beat studio versions

Live tracks that beat studio versions

Forgive me if this has been discussed multiple times before;
    Yesterday morning I was cycling in typical English winter weather (i.e howling wind and driving rain) my musical companion was a live Saucerful of Secrets (circa 71) it made for an incredibly atmospheric journey and got me thinking about live tracks that are substantially better than their studio counterparts.
    I would go Floyd again with ‘The Embryo’ and then Genesis ‘Waiting Room’
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

Off the top of my head:
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer-"Tarkus" (especially "Aquatarkus") from WBMFTTSTNE
    Rush "La Villa Strangiato" from Rush In Rio
    King Crimson-"The Talking Drum" from Frame By Frame, "Easy Money" from Meltdown & "21st Century Schizoid Man" from Epitaph Vol. 1
    Yes-"Siberian Khatru" from Yessongs

Yes-"Siberian Khatru" from Yessongs

Yep!

Yessongs often gets lambasted for sound quality, but apart from Siberian Khatru mentioned above, I think both Perpetual Change and Yours Is No Disgrace are superior versions, in that they go to places the studio tracks do not visit.

Two that come to mind are:

Kansas - Closet Chronicles - the live version (Two for the Show) has a lot more energy
    Genesis - The Knife (Hackett > Phillips on lead guitar)

Magma - "Kohntark" from Magma Live. I find this version to not only be more energetic and emotional overall but absolutely beautiful in the quiet section.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Pretty much anything done by the Allman Brothers

Can't forget these:

Gentle Giant-"The Runaway"/"Experience" & "So Sincere" (from Playing The Fool)
    Weather Report-""Freezing Fire", "Cucumber Slumber", "Teen Town", "Black Market" (from Live & Unreleased) & "Sightseeing" (from The Legendary Live Tapes 1978-1981)

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Magma - "Kohntark" from Magma Live. I find this version to not only be more energetic and emotional overall but absolutely beautiful in the quiet section.
    I think that applies to any Magma track, tbh. They're much better live (especially in the Antoine Paganotti-era)
    bassist in Papangu, a zeuhl metal band from Brazil https://papangu.bandcamp.com/album/holoceno

From Gentle Giant I would also say "Free Hand" is much better than the studio version.

Pink Floyd Saucerful
    Of Secrets Umagumma

Deep Purple Highway Star Made In Japan

PFM - Celebration and When the World became the World , from Cook.
    ALphonso Johnson Bahama Man , from Aliveamatherforya

The Grateful Dead's 'Dark Star' was a fairly miniscule B side in studio form compared to the famous side-long Live/Dead version. And Man's 'C'Mon' was pretty good in the studio, but the live version on Back Into The Future is off-the-charts spectacular.

Various songs in that late 60s/early 70s period of Pink Floyd were like demos in studio form compared to live. '...Eugene', '..Saucerful..' and 'Set The Controls...' were especially brilliant live. They really took the dynamics of these songs to the limit live.

Deep Purple's Made In Japan was better pretty much across the board than the studio versions IMHO. I'd say the same for Hawkwind's Space Ritual Alive, and Thin Lizzy's Live And Dangerous, though 'Still In Love With You' in particular was outstanding.

Agreed on 'Aquatarkus'- again, that's a whole other (and better) thing compared to the studio one.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Deep Purple's Made In Japan was better pretty much across the board than the studio versions IMHO.
    Ditto for Rainbow's "On Stage".

"Smoke on the Water" and "Man on the Silver Mountain" sound weak after you've familiarized yourself with the live versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Yessongs often gets lambasted for sound quality, but apart from Siberian Khatru mentioned above, I think both Perpetual Change and Yours Is No Disgrace are superior versions, in that they go to places the studio tracks do not visit.
    I'd say pretty much every track on Yessongs beats the studio version. Even "Close to the Edge", where Chris takes the studio bass recording and applies full afterburner. My jaw hasn't left the floor since I first heard it back in high school!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Wishbone Ash - Live Dates beats the studio versions imo
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco View Post
    PFM - Celebration and When the World became the World , from Cook.
    ALphonso Johnson Bahama Man , from Aliveamatherforya
    I have several live recordings of PFM from various stages of their career they do bring extra energy to their performances for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    From Gentle Giant I would also say "Free Hand" is much better than the studio version.
    That was one of my first thoughts. Love the version on playing the fool.

Skylines by Camel, from the A Live Record album. Absolutely blistering synth soloing on this. I also like the live version of Never Let Go.

Both are preferable to the studio versions, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    Pretty much anything done by the Allman Brothers
    In memory of Liz Reed from the Fillmore east shows totals the original.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The Grateful Dead's 'Dark Star' was a fairly miniscule B side in studio form compared to the famous side-long Live/Dead version.
    Dark Star was the A-side of the single, actually, but yes, as a "single", it's kind of a non-event. But as an improv vehicle, it of course became one of the highlights of the Dead's live shows. The versions from 72-74, which are frequently over a half hour in length are even better than the Live/Dead version.

Various songs in that late 60s/early 70s period of Pink Floyd were like demos in studio form compared to live. '...Eugene', '..Saucerful..' and 'Set The Controls...' were especially brilliant live. They really took the dynamics of these songs to the limit live.
    I agree with most of that, but I think the studio version of A Saucerful Of Secrets itself has a lot to recommend, with backwards guitars, multiple overdubs, and the vocals on the Celestial Voices section. It's not better than the live recordings, but it's worthy as an alternative presentation of the piece.
    Deep Purple's Made In Japan was better pretty much across the board than the studio versions IMHO.
    Yeah, I think that's fair to say.

I'd say the same for Hawkwind's Space Ritual Alive,
    Yeah, and you have to throw in Space Ritual Vol. 2, just for the unedited Time We Left and Brainstorm/Winds Of Change.
    and Thin Lizzy's Live And Dangerous, though 'Still In Love With You' in particular was outstanding.
    Also love the way they segue from The Cowboy Song into Boys Are Back In Town on that. And the version of Rosalie is also brilliant.

As for Yessongs, I always preferred hearing Howe play the guitar harmonics during the first verse on electric on that and other earlier live versions (before he started using acoustic for that part of the song, as he did on the studio version).

Grobschnitt: Solar Music Live

Camel: “Song Within a Song” off of A Live Record

Kraan: “Andy Nogger” and “Kraan Arabia” off of Live

Atomic Rooster: “Death Walks Behind You,” the BBC session version.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

801 Live has always has a spot in my heart.
    I also find the Porcupine Tree - Atlanta is a superior mix and has good energy.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I'd say pretty much every track on Yessongs beats the studio version. Even "Close to the Edge", where Chris takes the studio bass recording and applies full afterburner. My jaw hasn't left the floor since I first heard it back in high school!
    This! +1000

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I would add "Starship Trooper" I think the live version blows the studio version away.