Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Liquid Tension Experiment #3 is in the works!

They just released a video today from "Beating the Odds," the second song they wrote. It's upbeat and melodic. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    “This was a riff that I brought into the sessions that I thought was interesting because it's in an odd time and phrased in a way that is hard to wrap your head around at first until you understand where the groove is. When I first presented it to the guys, their initial reaction was “how are you feeling that?” When the band enters after the opening riff it probably sounds a little “odd” because the time signature is a bit unclear until the song gets going. If LTE ever had a “prog pop hit” this would be it!”
    -John Petrucci

“I remember the look of confusion on ALL our faces when JP started playing that opening riff! It’s was seemingly so straight ahead but with a bizarre rhythmic twist! Took a while to internalize that but then we all loved it! One of the great things about LTE is the fact that we just let ourselves loose and have FUN!”
    -Jordan Rudess

“ ‘Beating The Odds’ is the 2nd song we wrote in the LTE3 sessions. I jokingly referred to it as “the feel-good song of the Pandemic” in the studio as it has a very upbeat happy feel to it...but also takes a few cool musical twists & turns ranging from the glorious melodic chorus & end vamp to the dark driving solo sections”
    -Mike Portnoy

“Starts with an off-step riff, kind of like walking upstairs backward, but at the repeat you get it. Then it opens up into “anthem land.”. Later there are unison bass lines where both Jordan and John got flangy sounds that work well with the bass. Mike’s unstoppable energy is evident here, and we’ve got more fantastic J&J solos. At only five and a half minutes we start fading out… a short song by our standards. But we’re just getting warmed up.”
    -Tony Levin

Neat riff. Reminds me of the second bit of Recycled,but obviously LTE go in an entirely different direction with it...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I wonder what the 2-CD set is all about. I'm trying to (pre)order it plus some other stuff from Laser's Edge, but running into a credit card snafu. Also want the new Soen and Edguy's Vain Glory Opera.

Gotta love Mike wearing the Neil Peart shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Gotta love Mike wearing the Neil Peart shirt
    Yep. A true fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I wonder what the 2-CD set is all about. I'm trying to (pre)order it plus some other stuff from Laser's Edge, but running into a credit card snafu. Also want the new Soen and Edguy's Vain Glory Opera.
    The second cd will be an hour of the best of the jams from the sessions

Turns out I loved this. I was anticipating being unmoved by it, glad to be mistaken! Review is now up:

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/liqu...e-3-insideout/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Turns out I loved this. I was anticipating being unmoved by it, glad to be mistaken! Review is now up:

You commented on every track except "Liquid Evolution." What's that one like?

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    You commented on every track except "Liquid Evolution." What's that one like?
    I try not to focus on every track in reviews, as it can get bogged down and you start losing people's interest. Even this one is a lot! LOL But anyway, Liquid Evolution is a short, laid-back piece with a kind of latter-day Crimson jam vibe to it. It's really nice.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Honestly, I love the two songs released so far and haven't stopped playing them. I also loved the live version of "Rhapsody in Blue" I'd seen on YouTube, so between that and this review, I think so far this is my most anticipated release this year.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Funny how listening to one 7 minute song video off this album has given me my fill.No need to buy it IMO.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Honestly, I love the two songs released so far and haven't stopped playing them. I also loved the live version of "Rhapsody in Blue" I'd seen on YouTube, so between that and this review, I think so far this is my most anticipated release this year.
    I think you'll be quite happy with it. I've already spun it a few more times post-review, which is rare. There's a lot going on in this music!

Booooooo!!!

Hi

Thanks for your order.

We are sorry to say that the release date for this has been put back to the 16th of April.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Kind Regards

Pete

www.burningshed.com
    support@burningshed.com

^^^ Yeah, there was a mistake at the printers, no fault of the band or any vendors. I guess after 22 years, another three weeks of waiting isn't too bad...

Booooooo!!!

Hi

Thanks for your order.

We are sorry to say that the release date for this has been put back to the 16th of April.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Kind Regards

Pete

www.burningshed.com
    support@burningshed.com
    That's the same date they are closing the wall banks at my bank. Coincidence, I hope not.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    That's the same date they are closing the wall banks at my bank. Coincidence, I hope not.
    WTF are wall banks? Safe deposit boxes?

WTF are wall banks? Safe deposit boxes?
    https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...ages&fr=mcafee
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Ed, do they call those "wall banks" where you live?

^^^ Yeah, there was a mistake at the printers, no fault of the band or any vendors. I guess after 22 years, another three weeks of waiting isn't too bad...
    I hope I get one where they just pasted the new cover over the old one!

rs-245574-The-Beatles-Yesterday-Today.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Why in the hell would a bank get rid of its ATMs?

neil

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    I understand they get royalties for every note played
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart