Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Liquid Tension Experiment #3 is in the works!

The melodic section that begins around 3:00 blew me away. The rest was typical "Anything you can play I can play faster" stuff.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    The melodic section that begins around 3:00 blew me away. The rest was typical "Anything you can play I can play faster" stuff.
    Normally, I'd agree with this, but in this case, I don't find it typical, bland shredding (which I hate). I hear a melodic purpose that is serving the song, despite the high volume of notes.

neil

This latest track "Hypersonic" was specifically written to be one of those million-notes-a-minute tracks, which I do enjoy in the overall context of an album. I will say that the track does have sections that aren't so speed-focused.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Now Playing: Liquid Tension Experiment 3

(The album...she has leaked!)

i thought the doomy/free upright:drum duet and the shorter Osmosis like song were the best parts of it...otherwise good enough with nice grooves and sections here and there that's typical of their pastiche/nothing quite adds up approach...

Having listened to it three times, I think I could safely put away the Levin/Portnoy duet "Chris and Kevin's Amazing Odyssey" for the rest of my life. Other than that, really solid stuff and rates really well among their past albums. Their take on "Rhapsody in Blue" is near to the live version, but somehow a bit more energetic, and I think its presence inspired the sweet blue chords and phrasings of the Petrucci/Rudess duet "Shades of Hope." "Key to the Imagination" really goes to multiple places and hasn't fully gelled for me yet, but I still like it quite a lot.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Has anyone heard the 5.1 mix? And whatever else in on the blu ray?

"I think I could safely put away the Levin/Portnoy duet "Chris and Kevin's Amazing Odyssey" for the rest of my life"

A little less than "amazing"?

Just now listening to the bonus CD, "A Night at the Improv," for the first time. I don't think anyone's even mentioned this disk! I'm not sure I even knew what was on the second disk. I guess maybe I thought it was a 2CD album (which in a sense it is). So far it sounds pretty good. My two-word review: "Instant Wankfest!"

After one listen, parts of it sounded very good. Overall, it's a more substantial album than I expected, and needs at least a few full listens.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 04-18-2021 at 01:55 AM.

^ It's a thankless wank.

I see what you mean...

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Having listened to it three times, I think I could safely put away the Levin/Portnoy duet "Chris and Kevin's Amazing Odyssey" for the rest of my life. Other than that, really solid stuff and rates really well among their past albums. Their take on "Rhapsody in Blue" is near to the live version, but somehow a bit more energetic, and I think its presence inspired the sweet blue chords and phrasings of the Petrucci/Rudess duet "Shades of Hope." "Key to the Imagination" really goes to multiple places and hasn't fully gelled for me yet, but I still like it quite a lot.
    My take nearly to the letter, "key to the Imagination" having gelled quite well for me as a matter of fact. However, the real surprise are the five jams which I find very good to the point where i wonder how much of it is pure jam and how much was composed. "Solid Resolution Theory" is a killer in my book (though it does go on a bit...).

Whatever, it's much more than I expected (Rhapsody in Blue being an extraordinary treat) and therefore am very pleased.

Ed
    Last edited by rickmoraz; 04-18-2021 at 04:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ It's a thankless wank.
    If they were one of the Founding Fathers they'd be Benjamin Wanklin.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ It's a thankless wank.
    At my age there are no thankless wanks.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Lol. You guys...

Still waiting by the mailbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

I see what you mean...
    If that's on my disc, I may be seeking a refund.

This is the double disc you want to get.

https://jpurecords.com/blogs/news/ka...treaming-album

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    This is the double disc you want to get.

https://jpurecords.com/blogs/news/ka...treaming-album
    Kari Band? Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Kari Band? Huh?
    It might be a little pricey because it is Japanese coming from Japan.

Well, I just bought it on Lasers Edge. 2 CD, $20 including shipping. A bit more than I'm used to paying, even for a 2 CD, but reasonable. I'm not even sure why I bought it as I haven't listened to the first two LTE albums in years, but I was blown away by their Nearfest performance long ago, and I do have a lot of respect for the musicians involved (especially Levin). I do enjoy a well done wank fest from time to time as well, so I'm sure it will be good for a half dozen plays before it sits on the shelf with the other two LTE albums for the rest of my life

I actually like "Amazing Odyssey" - it's a slow starter but it gets there.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Well, I just bought it on Lasers Edge. 2 CD, $20 including shipping. A bit more than I'm used to paying, even for a 2 CD, but reasonable. I'm not even sure why I bought it as I haven't listened to the first two LTE albums in years, but I was blown away by their Nearfest performance long ago, and I do have a lot of respect for the musicians involved (especially Levin). I do enjoy a well done wank fest from time to time as well, so I'm sure it will be good for a half dozen plays before it sits on the shelf with the other two LTE albums for the rest of my life
    Be thankful for $20. Up here in Canada, it's very difficult to order any CD for less than $30!! Poor exchange rate on the dollar, high postage rates, poor exchange rate on the dollar for the high postage rates...you get the idea.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Be thankful for $20. Up here in Canada, it's very difficult to order any CD for less than $30!! Poor exchange rate on the dollar, high postage rates, poor exchange rate on the dollar for the high postage rates...you get the idea.

neil
    I certainly do get the idea. I've had to order some stuff from Europe in the past, and ended up paying upwards of $30 for a single CD. Nowadays, if I can't get it stateside, I don't bother or find a download option.

Liked LTE when first came out.....now...nothing new...sounds same to me