Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: IQ - Live Like This blu-ray

  1. #1
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,702

    IQ - Live Like This blu-ray

    Pre-orders now up at the official site:

    https://www.iq-hq.co.uk/index.php/27...-ray-pre-order

    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  2. #2
    Member Garyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    799
    I think I'll hold off on this for now. I ordered the Frequency Vinyl & CD last October within HOURS of the press release....and last week I get an email update that the first run is sold out and there are problems with the repress????? What did they do? Blow off the international customers and fill domestic orders? So as it is, they have no idea when my PRE-ORDER will ever see the light of day. WTF?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

    "It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

    I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

    (Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

    Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    I think I'll hold off on this for now. I ordered the Frequency Vinyl & CD last October within HOURS of the press release....and last week I get an email update that the first run is sold out and there are problems with the repress????? What did they do? Blow off the international customers and fill domestic orders? So as it is, they have no idea when my PRE-ORDER will ever see the light of day. WTF?
    The first run is sold out but hasn’t shipped as that is the version they’re having trouble with.

  4. #4
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,934
    I'm interested but I'm a little worried about compatibility with my Samsung Blu-Ray DVD player.
    I know they said Blur Ray Disc Region O and 25 frames per second, which my deck does have.

    I had big troubles with a RPWL DVD that was supposed to be all regions, and my deck wouldn't play it, so I bought a new deck and it still didn't work. Sent it back and ordered from another store and it still wouldn't play it.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

  5. #5
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I'm interested but I'm a little worried about compatibility with my Samsung Blu-Ray DVD player.
    I know they said Blur Ray Disc Region O and 25 frames per second, which my deck does have.

    I had big troubles with a RPWL DVD that was supposed to be all regions, and my deck wouldn't play it, so I bought a new deck and it still didn't work. Sent it back and ordered from another store and it still wouldn't play it.
    My first player (a Panasonic) would not play the first IQ blu-ray (or the Änglagård one) because of framerate incompatibility. But when I bought my Sony, that problem was solved (they were the first two discs I tried). But that is a different issue than the region code, and if it is '0', it should play no matter the manufacturer. I'm wondering if your RPWL disc was mislabeled as being all regions?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  6. #6
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    My first player (a Panasonic) would not play the first IQ blu-ray (or the Änglagård one) because of framerate incompatibility. But when I bought my Sony, that problem was solved (they were the first two discs I tried). But that is a different issue than the region code, and if it is '0', it should play no matter the manufacturer. I'm wondering if your RPWL disc was mislabeled as being all regions?
    That's funny you mentioned Panasonic, because that was the player I had that I had problems with.
    The Samsung is a pretty new model, couple of years on the market, inexpensive, but works good.

    You may be right about mislabeled. I bought it from Amazon and returned it, and bought the second one from Laser CD and had the same issue of incompatibility.
    Funny, it would play on my computer fine, and when I checked the properties, it showed PAL.
    I wanted to get the Scrape the Sky DVD as well, but a lot of reviews on Amazon said it wouldn't play, so I never ordered it.

    This is the description on the IQ website/store:
    PLEASE NOTE:

    The IQ Blu-ray was filmed and authored in 25 frames per second, the European standard. Most modern players worldwide will play this with no problem, but we’re told that some of the older US equipment has difficulty with 25 frames per second.

    Please check that your equipment is compatible before ordering this item

    This is a region 0 blu-ray
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

  7. #7
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    8,157
    Why do I need a new password every time I go to order from these guys? smh
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  8. #8
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    10,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    My first player (a Panasonic) would not play the first IQ blu-ray (or the Änglagård one) because of framerate incompatibility.
    Don't tell me you weren't hosed by a Big Big Train Blu-Ray too?! Sucks though.

    Jeez, I guess I'd better get around to popping the Scrape the Sky and A Show of Resistance disks into my player! I never got into the habit of testing out every disk I buy right away, and I guess I should have. I don't want to find out when I'm in my 80s that one of my precious box sets has a defective disk I didn't know about!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Don't tell me you weren't hosed by a Big Big Train Blu-Ray too?! Sucks though.

    Jeez, I guess I'd better get around to popping the Scrape the Sky and A Show of Resistance disks into my player! I never got into the habit of testing out every disk I buy right away, and I guess I should have. I don't want to find out when I'm in my 80s that one of my precious box sets has a defective disk I didn't know about!
    I have a Panasonic, the audio on those discs plays fine, but the video, fuggedaboudit.

  10. #10
    I've always wondered/worried about player compatability with Euro or other disks. Would be a bit of a disappointment so I usually pass on anything not domestic.

  11. #11
    Member Rajaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    New Scotland, Canada
    Posts
    449
    To move away from the disc compatibility theme, this new release is basically the two recent free streams that IQ put on YouTube during the pandemic.

    It is nice to have them bundled in the same package and Blu Ray is even better.

    Back to the previous theme: I hope it runs on all blu ray players, thanks for posting!

  12. #12
    I'm looking forward to this release, IQ is a band I like and respect very much and the free streams have been great treats for us fans. Now we get the opportunity to get a physical release and have the opportunity to see the shows again as we please.

    My only regret is that I have not been able to order direct from the band like in the past. So hopefully stateside vendors will carry it, even then its not easy for me with travel restrictions, I'm just across the border in Mexico.

  13. #13
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
    I'm looking forward to this release, IQ is a band I like and respect very much and the free streams have been great treats for us fans. Now we get the opportunity to get a physical release and have the opportunity to see the shows again as we please.

    My only regret is that I have not been able to order direct from the band like in the past. So hopefully stateside vendors will carry it, even then its not easy for me with travel restrictions, I'm just across the border in Mexico.
    Unfortunately, I doubt this will be carried by mainstream media outlets since it's not an Official Release(at least that's my understanding).
    But that's just my guess, could be wrong.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Unfortunately, I doubt this will be carried by mainstream media outlets since it's not an Official Release(at least that's my understanding).
    But that's just my guess, could be wrong.
    Thanks for pointing this out.
    Will make an extra effort to get this if it's not carried elsewhere.

  15. #15
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    12,790
    I pre-ordered it! Cha Ching.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  16. #16
    Member Garyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    799
    This title arrived here today. I does NOT play on my Sony BR player, my Panasonic PAL player or my laptop. There is no "Region" indication on the Disc or the packaging. There is also no indication that this is a Blu Ray disc. The only indication is in the catalog number: ACBD010. Buyer beware.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

    "It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

    I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

    (Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

    Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

  17. #17
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    12,790
    Oh, great.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  18. #18
    "Moustache stays right where it's at" - Clutch

  19. #19
    It played fine on my Sony blu-ray player...only watched half of the Ever set, but looked and sounded great! --Peter

  20. #20
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    10,491
    Oops, I guess I should have preordered this. Oh well, if I'm honest, I don't get around to watching IQ concerts that often. For some reason, they're a band that doesn't do much for me, visually, which is sort of surprising since Peter Nichols is such an emotive singer. Not too far from Gabriel, and I love watching Gabriel concerts. Maybe it's that while his lyrics sound good when he sings them, I have a really hard time understanding what he's going on about. Not his accent, his songs just don't seem to mean anything to me. Which is again sort of surprising, since Gabriel can be pretty stream-of-consciousness and I still want to follow his lyrics. I mean, honestly, I can't really tell you what a single IQ song is about. Am I the only one? It's not a knock against them, because you could say the same about a lot of perfectly good bands. It's me, really. And they have plenty of CDs to listen to. If he looked like Kate Bush, I'd probably feel differently. It'd be very weird, but I'd be up for it.

  21. #21
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    8,157
    ^ Nicholl's lyrics are very obtuse. They do not communicate well. Supposedly, he is more interested in how they sound, which is a load of ridiculous pap to me, and I'm a fan of PN in general.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  22. #22
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    10,491
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Nicholl's lyrics are very obtuse. They do not communicate well. Supposedly, he is more interested in how they sound, which is a load of ridiculous pap to me, and I'm a fan of PN in general.
    Actually, I don't have any problem with lyrics not making any sense if they sound good. I just don't necessarily need to SEE someone sing them. But another factor is whether or not there's anyone else in the band who's visually interesting, or if the show is particularly visually interesting for some other reason, and neither of those seems to me to be the case usually, with IQ. I'm not musically educated enough to really know, but I think the other thing about IQ that makes me enjoy their albums, aside from the vocals and musicianship, is the chord changes. I love how The Last Human Gateway builds and builds, even if it sort of goes to the same place over and over. I respond to those chord changes (and key changes) in the song - that's the main attraction for me. Much as with Pink Floyd, I think.

  23. #23
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    8,157
    ^ Maybe you needed to see the band in it's early days, when Mike had the weird haircut, Biker hat and leather jacket and Peter would dress in costumes.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  24. #24
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    10,491
    Like I said, the "production" wouldn't really be the issue. But what was up with that getup of Mike's, which looked like it was out of the Al Pacino movie, "Cruising?"

  25. #25
    Member Paulrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Left Coast
    Posts
    1,569
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Nicholl's lyrics are very obtuse. They do not communicate well. Supposedly, he is more interested in how they sound, which is a load of ridiculous pap to me, and I'm a fan of PN in general.
    I dunno. That was Jon Anderson's modus operandi back in Yes' heyday. I rate his work then MUCH higher than the less obtuse stuff he comes up with these days.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •