Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IQ - Live Like This blu-ray

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I dunno. That was Jon Anderson's modus operandi back in Yes' heyday. I rate his work then MUCH higher than the less obtuse stuff he comes up with these days.
    I agree, but with Anderson's lyrics part of the MO was that the listener not necessarily try to figure out exactly what his lyrics meant, but to get an impression from them, which worked pretty well. With IQ, I think Nicholl's MEANS something more specific with most songs, but I really don't know what. I don't really get an impression from most of them. But whatever - I'm happy with IQ's music the way it is. I don't want it to be different.

IQ is for me, the ONLY band I keep following and have always loved their music above their stage production. I have already seen both of these concerts when they were streamed online that the stage presentations are almost identical but plan to buy the BR for my personal collection.

Both shows on this blu ray like the ones I was fortunate to witness in 2017 and 2018 were literally identical except of course for the set lists. There is no production innovation from 2017 to the present and for me, that does not matter as long as the music is the main driver and musical motivation is at the forefront.

I would never compare Peter Nicholls with Gabriel, they may sound similar but creatively are worlds apart. Since his early Genesis days, Peter Gabriel has had a very complex and abstract creative mind and Nicholls is too but very different, just look at his paintings featured on the band's covers. On a side note, I was amazed to find out in the biographical movie that Freddie Mercury designed and drew the Queen logo and Peter Nicholls is just as skilled as an artist in many ways. As an Architect myself I admired those artistic multiple skills like Da Vinci who painted and also created aircraft models.

As far as lyrics, the Peters are also worlds apart.

It is kind of relief for me to read from you guys that Peter N's lyrics are a bit abstruse, because I always thought it was my limited mastery of the english language that prevented me from understanding them.
    That being said, these lyrics sound good to me and he conveys emotions and mystery through them.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    It is kind of relief for me to read from you guys that Peter N's lyrics are a bit abstruse, because I always thought it was my limited mastery of the english language that prevented me from understanding them.
    No, we're just as baffled as you by what he's saying half the time.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Ember
    FWIW, my copy is playing fine on a US Sony UBP-X700.

I do enjoy video concerts of favorite bands I'd otherwise never get to see in the US, except possibly in standing venues or crowded clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    FWIW, my copy is playing fine on a US Sony UBP-X700.

I do enjoy video concerts of favorite bands I'd otherwise never get to see in the US, except possibly in standing venues or crowded clubs.
    I can agree with you having lived in the states but now back in Canada it is a little different.
    Interesting that I was elated to finally get my first chance to see IQ in 2017 (Quebec City) but then in 2018 saw them again in NJ at the Progstock festival.

My friends I left back in the states get very jealous when I tell them that I'm going to concerts by Flower Kings, Pendragon, IQ, Arena, to name a few. But my biggest regret is to have never seen bands that have rarely or never toured north america like Camel, Eloy or PFM. I know many of you may have seen some of them in north america but I know for sure Eloy is not on that list.

OK. This release just caused me to buy a new Sony BluRay player! My current Sony is a $49.00 Black Friday Costco Special from about 2016. It's now in the FedEx system! If all is well, I can eliminate three units from my stereo shelves.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    This title arrived here today. I does NOT play on my Sony BR player, my Panasonic PAL player or my laptop. There is no "Region" indication on the Disc or the packaging. There is also no indication that this is a Blu Ray disc. The only indication is in the catalog number: ACBD010. Buyer beware.
    This is what really worried me. Works fine!! Just relieved.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    No, we're just as baffled as you by what he's saying half the time.
    Yep, what he said.

It arrived in today's mail. Plays perfectly in my Oppo BDP-93.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    OK. This release just caused me to buy a new Sony BluRay player! My current Sony is a $49.00 Black Friday Costco Special from about 2016. It's now in the FedEx system! If all is well, I can eliminate three units from my stereo shelves.
    I just checked my Samsung Blu Ray and it plays at 24FPS instead of the required 25FPS, so I guess I won't be picking this one up.
    Thanks for confirming your playability issues.
    Let us know how it works for you.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

A4AE768E-E09D-497D-8EF1-88501729DC7C.jpgMy new Sony UBP-X1100ES player just arrived and am now scanning through the IQ BluRay. WONDERFUL! By the way, Music Direct is selling this player $100.00 less than MSRP! ($498.00). Shipping out of Chicago (free) but you are still sales taxed for your state.

I’ll wait till this evening to watch the whole BD. I cannot control the daylight well in my living room. I also want to try a few older PAL DVD’s like the Maddy Prior / Steeleye Span holiday concerts and other PAL releases.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I broke down and ordered a copy of this - I hadn't at first realized it was in GEP's Archive series, and since I have all the others, I figured why break the streak? Also, GEP and Burning shed being out of stock made me want it even more! Fortunately, progrock.co.uk has it in stock (that's the shop for Rob Reed and Tiger Moth Tales). It arrived today. I'll be inserting it into the player (SONY BDP-S3700, under $100 I think, new on eBay) to try my luck tonight, but I'm pretty confident as last night I tried out the Anglagard "Made in Norway" Blu-Ray disk which has the higher frame-rate, and it played fine. It's also played the Big Big Train BDs just fine.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through the first concert, and wondering WHY I thought I might be able to live without this Blu-Ray! It's one of the best IQ shows I've heard or seen. I have the audio version of the show but haven't listened to it yet, but I will! Like Stick Men's recently released live album Owari, it gains weightiness because of it's having happened around the very beginning of COVID-19's ascendancy. But this show also just has a great setlist, and the material from Resistance really lives well with all the previous material they perform. I also really enjoyed reading Peter Nicholl's note in the package. He's a good writer, among other things.

^ Has your copy also arrived in a sealed plastic bag and the envelope inside that seemed to have been opened? Is it customs afraid of the British strain of virus or something else?
    Thankfully the contents were as they should have been. Still have to play it though, so for that I guess will need to unpack and connect the new multi format / multi region player (Sony) I bought.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

The music's great, however I've noticed that the videos are 1280 x 720, and the audio 16/48.
    The Aschaffenburg 2020 video was released on YouTube up to 1920 x 1080, so it seems a little odd that it was down-graded onto the Blu-Ray.

Edit - I just compared the YouTube and Blu-Ray, cannot see any difference, so I suspect the YouTube was upscaled to 1080 from 720.
    Last edited by jcarr73729; 02-02-2021 at 12:00 PM.