Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harold Budd - RIP

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    First heard of Harold Budd on the EG sampler Angels in the Architecture.
    I think that might be the only thing I have of his in my collection, but as samplers go, it's a winner.

The Oak Of The Golden Dreams, The Pavilion Of Dreams, The Serpent (In Quicksilver), The Plateaux Of Mirror (with Eno) and Abandoned Cities are his favourite works of mine. Spent hours and hours of listening session on these ones. A very sad loss.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

So very sad.
    What a great musician; such a unique man and musician.

A very unique voice in modern music.

A sad loss...
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Harold Budd interview at Big Ears Festival.

I have a ton of his wonderful music in my collection due to his proximity to Eno. Another musical giant struck down before their time by the f*cking COVID. 😭

No one has mentioned my favorite Harold Budd album yet: By The Dawn's Early Light. Bill Nelson on electric and acoustic guitars, B.J. Cole on steel guitar, Mabel Wong on viola and Susan Allen on harp. Several tracks are short poems, which I have always skipped. But the majority of the album is instrumental, and Budd lets his guests do most of the "heavy lifting". I've owned a lot of Budd's albums over the years, but this one is my clear favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    No one has mentioned my favorite Harold Budd album yet: By The Dawn's Early Light. Bill Nelson on electric and acoustic guitars, B.J. Cole on steel guitar, Mabel Wong on viola and Susan Allen on harp. Several tracks are short poems, which I have always skipped. But the majority of the album is instrumental, and Budd lets his guests do most of the "heavy lifting". I've owned a lot of Budd's albums over the years, but this one is my clear favorite.
    Yes, that album is just what you say; I too usually skip the poems but perhaps I should revisit them.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I've never heard of this one - I'll have to check it out.

I haven't been on PE in a while.RIP to a master, Harold Budd.

Coming up with a favorite Budd cd is difficult (for me).
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Damn, another lost to COVID ... I just went through a bit of a blitz buying everything I didn't have that he was selling on Bandcamp. I'm glad I did, what I didn't have (not much...I've been a fan for four decades) is very, very good.

But damn, I'll miss him.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

I just picked up "Another Flower," his last with Guthrie, recorded in 2013 and just now released on Bandcamp. It's gorgeous, beautiful stuff.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I credit listening to Eno for putting me on the path to discovering Harold. I was lucky to see Harold perform at the Toledo (Ohio) Museum of Art in the summer of 2018. May he create heavenly music forever.

somehow i am only finding out about this now - from seeing bill nelson write a journal entry on his site about it (which is 2+ months old). a true favorite of mine. Plateaux of Mirror possibly my favorite, but so much good stuff to pick from.
    bummer...even months late

Don't know how I missed this. I have most of his work and it's all lovely, largely calming music...I even love the poetry albums.
    RIP Harold. We loved ya, we miss ya, but with such a vast discography, we'll certainly never forget ya.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer