Thread: Bob Drake ~ Planets and Animals

Bob Drake ~ Planets and Animals

Its out!

Heared it 'only' twice so far which is nowhere nearly enough for music with such detail.
    All i can say so far it sounds like typical Bob but just a bit different. It certainly does NOT disappoint two plays in.

Very much looking forward to hearing this one. I'm waiting until I can order the CD.

Ordered from ReR. Definitely looking forward to this one.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Not much comments on the new Bob Drake album yet. Are the usual suspects still waiting for their CD's to arrive?

I got the bandcamp download so I've heared it now about 5 times.

Its excellent.
    Of course.

A much more uptempo album then the previous two. I hear a lot of Rock'n'roll, rockabilly, bluegrass, etc influences on this one. Of course covered in the dense psycadelic and general weirdness sauce. A very 'positive' sounding album with a lot of humour. Very good to escape a bit from the current covid-19 misery. Another wonderful album by Bob!
    Last edited by thedunno; 01-06-2021 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Not much comments on the new Bob Drake album yet. Are the usual suspects still waiting for their CD's to arrive?

I got the bandcamp download so I've heared it now about 5 times.

Its excellent.
    Of course.

A much more uptempo album then the previous two. I hear a lot of Rock'n'roll, rockabilly, bluegrass, etc influences on this wall. Of course covered in the dense psycadelic and general weirdness sauce. A very 'positive' sounding album with a lot of humour. Very good to escape a bit from the current covid-19 misery. Another wonderful album by Bob!
    Agreed here totally. I have heard it a bunch of times and it is wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. I will attempt a "review" or overview of my thoughts when I get a moment. Only a few days left of school before a full 2 weeks off, and then I can do some serious listening! Anyway, it's another winner and a worthy addition to the BD museum of great weird albums. It's funny that you used the word "psychedelic" because I did too when I emailed Bob my first opinions of the album, and I think there are touches here and there...or not....that's a tricky word. I will say the amazing thing about Bob's albums in general (and Planets and Animals is no exception) is that you can listen to this 97 times, and yet on the 98th listen you will find something new, something wonderful. That is one of my favorite aspects of Bob's albums - each piece is like artwork with minute detail that seems to be freshly discovered each time you revisit.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Yeah. Still waiting for my copy (and my art) to arrive. No worries, though. I know my patience will be generously rewarded.

Not one but two full-fledged, cape-flying, head-bopping organ solos?

There is some great Bob Drakery on this new Bob Drake album. Many spins await.

I hope that Wayside gets it in stock so I can order it there. I'd like to get the physical CD.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I hope that Wayside gets it in stock so I can order it there. I'd like to get the physical CD.
    Olivia Newton-John?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Olivia Newton-John?
    Har har...

Happy new year to our pal Bob....cheers for the great music and keep at it

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Not one but two full-fledged, cape-flying, head-bopping organ solos?
    Hey yeah! As I was working on the final couple of songs for the album I finally moved our 1940's Hammond model A into my garage studio. It had been in another part of the house, the room where I used to record bands (stopped doing that a few years ago except for friends' bands.) I've used the Hammond on my albums here and there since Bob's Drive-In (2011) but it was a bit of a hassle because I'd have to bring my laptop and mics, preamp etc and set up there where the organ was, so I often didn't bother. In recent years I also have occasional access to a well-maintained Leslie 122, that makes such a difference! I like the contrast with the Farfisa VIP205 which is also on all my albums since Lawn Ornaments (2014). Anyhow now that the Hammond is there in my workspace it's going to be used a lot more. It just took me a long time to get a strong friend over to help move the thing, it's one of the early ones like a huge piece of furniture.

BD
    Last edited by Bob Drake; 01-01-2021 at 01:00 AM.

^Then I am looking forward to more Hammond on future BD albums.

The new one is great.

Thanks, too, for making your art available to purchase with the album.

I'm a high school teacher and have been teaching from home since last March. My office has become my classroom. Both of my Bob Drake pieces of art are on camera for my students to see everyday.

IMG_5163.jpg

Cheers!

That's lovely, thanks for the picture!

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post

I'm a high school teacher and have been teaching from home since last March. My office has become my classroom. Both of my Bob Drake pieces of art are on camera for my students to see everyday.

IMG_5163.jpg

Cheers!

Yay Bob!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    Yay Bob!
    Always glad to get a thumbs (claws?) up from a weasel!
    x