Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there any future for CDs?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wait until you've had kids for 20 years and have moved house a few times. Before I had a kid who could walk, all my CDs were in one place, organized alphabetically, then chronologically within that.
    Ah, the little fondle blockers!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wait until you've had kids for 20 years and have moved house a few times. Before I had a kid who could walk, all my CDs were in one place, organized alphabetically, then chronologically within that.
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Ah, the little fondle blockers!
    And then the next thing you know, they're asking you if you're going to the store can you get them a new Juul charger!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Ahhh, I see. Forgive me. You know some of these chaps and that means you can toss a generalization around freely. Have at it.
    duuuude, we're on a internet forum , generalizations are having another gold era - especially on social networks, where hipsters live their lives.

while I'm at it, let me add another hipster generalization: if hipsters are the future of mankind (they certainly think they are), the planet might not be worth saving!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    duuuude, we're on a internet forum , generalizations are having another gold era
    Yeah, but you take over-generalization to the next level. With everything.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yeah, but you take over-generalization to the next level. With everything.
    Took me some time to find it

total BS

His hipster's trimmed and tailored beard is probably longer than Khomeiny's, nowadays
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Good (and sad) thread. When my brother in law passed away unexpectedly, we had to figure out what to do with his 2500 cds. I kept about 100 of them, we gave away (and accepted donations to a charity) another 200, and we sold the rest of them, in bulk, to Half Price Books for $250. It was sad, but I wasn't going through the hassle of selling them individually. I see myself liquidating my cd collection before it becomes someone else's problem to solve for a dead or demented future me.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by littleatlas_steve View Post
    Good (and sad) thread. When my brother in law passed away unexpectedly, we had to figure out what to do with his 2500 cds. I kept about 100 of them, we gave away (and accepted donations to a charity) another 200, and we sold the rest of them, in bulk, to Half Price Books for $250. It was sad, but I wasn't going through the hassle of selling them individually. I see myself liquidating my cd collection before it becomes someone else's problem to solve for a dead or demented future me.

Steve
    I ripped all my CDs to hard disk 5 years ago and sold them to Half Price Books.

Before moving cross country a couple years ago I sold my remaining 80's vinyl (LPs, 12" singles and 45s) plus cassettes and VHS tapes to Half Price Books.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I still buy CD's, and my car still has a CD player. I imagine my next car, whenever that happens, won't have one, but who knows? My father got a brand new Honda crossover SUV about 2 years ago, and it has a CD player along with the usual digital infotainment system. He didn't request it, so I guess they still put them in some cars out there.

I haven't had any issues getting CD's I want, though I haven't looked for much older stuff for quite a while now, and I could see how that stuff might be harder to find on CD now. Being in the USA, I get pretty much everything I need from Laser's Edge, Bandcamp, or straight from the artists themselves.

I do rip everything I get immediately, as I tend to listen to stuff on my PC or on my portable MP3 player (in my car, it's the CD player), so I have actually bought some albums digitally in the past few years. I may or may not make the switch to all digital before I die, but for now the CD's I want seem to be still relatively easy (and reasonably priced) to get.
    Pretty much the same here. Even go one step further and make CD-R copies that I could use in the car or have a copy handy next to the computer played on external audio system.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I stick to CDs and occasionally a record. Love to look at the artwork, read the booklet, if it is not in Korean, or French, or some other language I don't understand, so everything besides Dutch, German or English.
    Share the sentiments, although, Dutch, Italian or German are also out of my league and must stick mostly to English. Wish all the albums sung in the native language (often preferred by me) would also provide English translation, sadly often it is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Hi Meidad,

No, unfortunately CDs are dead and gone...

The sad thing is that they do not seem to have any resale value (out of a very few collectables).
    Do not think that's necessarily true for CDs. They seem a perfect medium, along with DVDs and BR's, for all those remasters and remixes with bonus concert videos etc. The length of music they provide is often hard to beat by anything else. Digital format does not work for me as I am often connecting with the music through everything that is connected to it, be it graphics, flipping booklet etc. Besides the digital format is as good as good is the hard disc drive ... and I have been through failures of several of them already.

Perhaps in few decades they will gain in value, although, the question is how long they will last? Fortunately, or perhaps unfortunately, it is not going to be my worry .... but it is certainly true that selling them now pretty much does not make much sense, unless of course it is a sought rarity.

Vienna's biggest cd store becomes a cannabis joint -

https://twitter.com/FredericChaslin/...72346477539334

Just came back from a library “book” sale and walked out with a stack of $2 CDs [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

https://twitter.com/FredericChaslin/...72346477539334
    At least it's not a Starbuck's.

I think a more consistent, better thought out way of providing downloadable booklets with credits, liner notes, lyrics, etc. would be helpful.
    Naxos frequently provides a PDF of the CD booklet when you purchase a download from Amazon.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Besides the digital format is as good as good is the hard disc drive ... and I have been through failures of several of them already.
    Like everything else stored long-term on a computer, it's the owner's responsibility to maintain good backups; and periodically purchase a replacement computer and migrate all the data storage from the old to the new. In that way a collection on hard drive should be able to last indefinitely, or at least as long as there remains software capable of playing those formats.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Vienna's biggest cd store becomes a cannabis joint
    That's Ok as long as we know what we'll not get.

History books should be banned by now as well, seeing as they're tainted from old-dork conceptions of "fine". Why should we be able to read and write properly, for instance? Such a snobby trait. Nah, man's not free until we've got equity for real and I can operate a brain without some elitist-privileged diploma to say that I'm allowed. I'll spin that sharp opener, place unfortunate skulltop on a table and turn it upside down for soup-bowl-utility. And then I'll start incisions. Brain's not such a hard thing/place! I'll just take out what appears strange in there. No privileged elitist imperialist may deny me that right!

Soup-bowl lets it out.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    That's Ok as long as we know what we'll not get.

History books should be banned by now as well, seeing as they're tainted from old-dork conceptions of "fine". Why should we be able to read and write properly, for instance? Such a snobby trait. Nah, man's not free until we've got equity for real and I can operate a brain without some elitist-privileged diploma to say that I'm allowed. I'll spin that sharp opener, place unfortunate skulltop on a table and turn it upside down for soup-bowl-utility. And then I'll start incisions. Brain's not such a hard thing/place! I'll just take out what appears strange in there. No privileged elitist imperialist may deny me that right!

Soup-bowl lets it out.

(It's a good thing I set my coffee down before I read that!)

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Hi Meidad, I bought quite a few of your MIO Records CD releases back in the early 2000s. It was definitely a sad day when you had to close up shop. I got exposed to a lot of music that I otherwise would never have known existed. Thank you so much for all that you did with getting those artists' works to us and in great sound quality.

Among all of the artists you focused on, there were a few things that you were working on releasing just before MIO closed its doors. One was a really rare album by a band whose name I cannot recall, but the description was that only 100 or so copies of the vinyl existed and were stored in a house that got flood damaged (or something like that), so only a few copies still exist. I *think* there was a sound sample for at least one of the songs from that, and I was intrigued and really wanted to pick up that one, but apparently it never saw the light of day. What was that band?

I hope you are able to solve the issue with your collection. I'd say that moecurlythanu's suggestions are probably your best option.
    Hi Bruce
    I think you refer to this album?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp9X...p=ygUGa2hhLXlt

Yes, I think that was the one. Thank you for finding it for me, Meidad!

At least it's not a Starbuck's.
    honour's been salvaged

Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    Naxos frequently provides a PDF of the CD booklet when you purchase a download from Amazon.
    yup, so you can print and out it in an empty disc-less jewel case

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

Soup-bowl lets it out.

millenium galore!!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

Bastards.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I'm quite surprised about the pictures of the DVD/BR empty shelves, because that decline is not nearly as sharp as for Audio support

As for CD, it doesn't surprise me. Medias always aggravate things to make their headlines more spectacular

There's still an HMV in my local town with loads of cd's, DVD's, Blu Rays & vinyl. Plus books, t shirts & posters.