Thread: Where Eela Jumped The Craig - "Missa Universalis"?

Banned

Where Eela Jumped The Craig - "Missa Universalis"?

I feel that this is where they got off their mark and where I exited as a fan of their music.

I loved their second and third releases, "One Niter" and "Hats Of Glass" (although I regret never getting their debut based on all of the effusive reviews). I always liked the way they varied their sound, moving from synth-washed soundscapes (loads of mellotron, no less) to killer guitar work and those sporadic, funky jazz interludes. I am one of those that didn't think "Hats Of Glass" was a let down either, with the very strong "Holstenwall Fair" and the title cut; I am even fond of their rendition of de Burgh's "A Spaceman... ").

Then came "Missa Universalis", released the same year as "Hats". I recall listening to the first cut ("Kyrie") and thinking it was nicely performed from an instrumental perspective, but didn't care for the repetitive vocal "chants". The remaining tracks on the album are okay to not so good, and there's only 22 minutes left after "Kyrie", divided between 6 songs. Unlike some others that reviewed it on-line, I had no problem with the religious overtones; it just seemed that it was directionless and put together quickly without the benefit of good song writing. Other than a few jazz funk snippets reminiscent of their prior albums, this release lacked the energy and "fun" of their previous works, in my view.

I am interested in what others of this site think of the "Missa" release and if they did indeed lose their way with this album. Their subsequent albums appear to be ineffective Pop offerings, based on the on-line reviews. And, does anyone recommend their debut album for those who never purchased it?

If left with the choice of only one album, I'll opt for their debut after all these years. Missa Universalis is their last OK effort in my opinion.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

It was my first taste of them, so I have a bit of a soft spot for it. However, I must admit, after the incredible opening track “Kyrie” it’s pretty much all downhill, other than some scattered highlights later on (like the fugal intro to “Sanctus”). Never really had much of an issue with the subject matter, since if I am remembering correctly, they were commissioned by the Brucknerfest organizers to compose a Catholic mass. Not sure they were up to the task of four languages, though, there’s some pretty funny English and French (“né du père awant tous les siècles”) pronunciations.

One Niter and Hats of Glass are my favorites. The debut is of its time, but it’s worth it for the bonus tracks, namely the “Stories”/“Cheese” single. True, both of these tracks were re-made on Hats of Glass, but I love these versions too (especially the little vocal part on “Cheese”). Oh, what a pity they never released a full album back in ’74!

Virgin Oiland is OK. They made the rather wise decision to “sell out” by trying be ELO, rather than Dan Fogelberg or whatever (although one could argue that “Carry On” is precisely that). Don’t even think about Hit or Miss. Yuck!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    One Niter and Hats of Glass are my favorites.
    This.

The 1971 debut retains that particularly teutonic smokey vibe of West-German counterparts like Ikarus and Cornucopia; to me this is probably the most listenable Craig album overall. To be fairly honest, I find their "symphonic rock" phase pretty redundant after One Niter, which is Ok but.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I agree that Missa Universalis is somewhat limp and sterile compared to what was before. But then again, I don't think Eela Craig were ever the most exciting or energetic progressive bands. Their classical-electronic prog with some funk trimmings sound is pretty good and admittedly distinctive on One Niter and Hats of Glass has great moments too. In terms writing, the inspired melodical moments are just thinner on the ground on Missa Universalis and the ceremonial aspect of the piece seems to discourage the more abrasive detours even more than before. Well, if their idea of universality is the outline of a bald bloke with a big hooter, then I suppose the music is going to be somewhat conventional and bland. It's not without its merits, though.

I've never warmed up to the bluesy-psychedelic-classical muddle of Eela Craig, but the bonus tracks make owning the CD worthwhile.

The band themselves (or at least part of them) came to disown "Missa Universalis", as one can read in the booklet to the "Virgin Oiland" CD (on the Garden Of Delights label, 2017). Some band members are given thanks in the liner notes that highlight the rift between them and Hubert Bognermayr, so there seems to be some veracity to this account. I quote:

"A quarrel ended when Hubert Bognermayr ... left the band in 1979. The other band members accused him as presenting himself in his reports for the media as the important man of action he wasn‘t in fact. The public was thus led to believe that Hubert Bognermayr was representing Eela Craig while the other artists were merely replaceable background actors. The second reason for throwing him out of the band was the other members‘ still smouldering anger about the church issue of the year before, to be heard on the rather pathetic "Missa Universalis" LP. Most of them had let themselves be talked into accepting the Christian lyrics and the ridiculous costumes against their own conviction, and now their anger about that finally erupted."

I like all the albums I have on vinyl, from One niter to Virgin oiland.
    Saw them live when they had released that last album.
    And though I'm not religious, I don't have problems wit Missa Universalis, nor with the rather religious Bergpredigt

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by westway View Post
    The band themselves (or at least part of them) came to disown "Missa Universalis", as one can read in the booklet to the "Virgin Oiland" CD (on the Garden Of Delights label, 2017). Some band members are given thanks in the liner notes that highlight the rift between them and Hubert Bognermayr, so there seems to be some veracity to this account. I quote:

"A quarrel ended when Hubert Bognermayr ... left the band in 1979. The other band members accused him as presenting himself in his reports for the media as the important man of action he wasn‘t in fact. The public was thus led to believe that Hubert Bognermayr was representing Eela Craig while the other artists were merely replaceable background actors. The second reason for throwing him out of the band was the other members‘ still smouldering anger about the church issue of the year before, to be heard on the rather pathetic "Missa Universalis" LP. Most of them had let themselves be talked into accepting the Christian lyrics and the ridiculous costumes against their own conviction, and now their anger about that finally erupted."
    An interesting background story that I was not aware of until now. I have often wondered why there are not more Austrian Prog Rock bands; the two that I am familiar with are personal favorites for sure - Gandalf and Eela Craig. For a country with a population just under 9 million and such a rich classical musical culture in it's past, it seems like there would be more than a handful of Prog artists plying their trade. Of course, Austria gave us Falco, so we have that to be thankful for.

^ Edie Falco?

Austria had several progressive artists.

Michael Mantler's Hapless Child soares above. And Hermann Szobel. Klockwerk Orange were also very good. Isaiah and Eela Craig and Vita Nova were fairly Ok. Paternoster would have had one decent album to their credit were it not for the fact that it was recorded at too high tapepacing and thus came out like a drunkard's elegy when transferred to media and played out on regular speed.

That Kyrie Eleison record is dodgy at best.

But 90s bands like Die Knödel and PEST were fabulous.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Austria had several progressive artists.

Michael Mantler's Hapless Child soares above. And Hermann Szobel. Klockwerk Orange were also very good. Isaiah and Eela Craig and Vita Nova were fairly Ok. Paternoster would have had one decent album to their credit were it not for the fact that it was recorded at too high tapepacing and thus came out like a drunkard's elegy when transferred to media and played out on regular speed.

But 90s bands like Die Knödel and PEST were fabulous.
    Thanks for the input; you alluded to three artists/bands that I haven't observed at Syn-phonic: Die Knodel, Mantler and PEST. Will look further into them.

Also, good to hear another positive take on Szobel and Klockwerk.

Give "Blank Manuskript" a listen for a "newer" band from Austria (they are very Retro though)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Back in the 90s people were acting like The Fountain Beyond the Sunrise was some kind of unearthed treasure. But there was a discussion a few months ago where everyone pretty much trashed it. Kind of funny, that.

Finally heard that Orange Power album after years of searching and it’s...OK. Klockwerk Orange (no relation) is better.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

^ I like Fountain from a song perspective, but it has easily the worst production on any record I've ever heard. Like I poured gallons of mud on my speakers.