Thread: Interview w/Styx drummer Todd Sucherman

Interview w/Styx drummer Todd Sucherman

Had a really good chat today with Todd about the new album Styx is working on, his thoughts on their prog cred, a look at the albums he was on from Styx, Brian Wilson, The Legacy Pilots (a great new prog supergroup), and more.

**For Episode #51 we caught up with Styx drummer Todd Sucherman. We discuss his doings as of late and look at his early years as a drummer (since age 2), drumming influences and the various working bands he was part of as a teen. Also, we discuss his session work, including playing on some of Brian Wilson's albums and memories of Brian's working methods. He reflects on how he wound up in Styx and we take a look at the various Styx albums he's been part of with memories and anecdotes for each. Also, a bit of info about the new Styx album in the works now that should come out sometime in 2021. We discuss his kits over the years and Todd gives us a tour of his drum studio as well. He released his first solo album this year as well which we discuss- Last Flight Home.

Great interview.....

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I also really like the Mission. Excellent tunes! I think it's in my glovebox in my car right now.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    In the 70s, it was really uncool to like Styx. There was peer pressure as I've always really liked, openly or not, most Styx. The live show I saw them at at Bluesfest in Ottawa was outstanding! I'm so glad Todd is a cool guy and really quite bright. One thing that makes the interview engaging, is your knowledge and experience with a wide breadth of rock music. I watched/listened to the full interview and it was done extremely well.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-05-2020 at 07:00 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Thanks, Greg! I really enjoyed it too. Todd was very easy to talk to.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    How long has he been their drummer?

Since 1997

Good stuff man. I do believe he has been the engine that elevates the live shows since he came on board. They could not have found a better replacement. And since then, Styx has held a very high standard when bringing newcomers into the fold. Something I wish other old bands would take care doing.

I enjoyed this Sean, although I did skip around and focused more on the 2nd half.
    I came across a Legacy Pilots video on YT by accident one day about a month ago, and Todd is an incredible drummer and musician.
    I've said it before, I think because he's in a band like Styx, he doesn't get the cred he's due, because as MITMountain wrote, he elevates their music with his talent.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Good stuff man. I do believe he has been the engine that elevates the live shows since he came on board. They could not have found a better replacement. And since then, Styx has held a very high standard when bringing newcomers into the fold. Something I wish other old bands would take care doing.
    Totally agree. Todd is an outstanding drummer. Check out his drum cam videos on Facebook.