Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Arc Of Life, new band featuring Davison, Schellen, Sherwood, Kerzner and Haun

Arc Of Life, new band featuring Davison, Schellen, Sherwood, Kerzner and Haun

d3beddfee1650d1fce894fc2528e7212.jpg

Today has seen the announcement of a new band, Arc Of Life, featuring Jon Davison, Billy Sherwood, Jay Schellen, Jimmy Haun and Dave Kerzner.
    The line-up as well as the fact that they are singed to Frontiers Records makes the connection to Yes undeniable.

Thoughts?
    King Crimson Falkoner Teatret, Copenhagen 23.09.2016
    Roger Waters Palau Sant Jordi, Barcelona 13 & 14.02.2018
    Nick Mason's SOS The Half Moon, London 23.05.2018
    Yes feat ARW The Barbican York, 13.06.2018
    Nick Mason's SOS The Roundhouse 24.09.2018
    Steve Hackett London Palladium 11.10.2018
    Steve Howe The Albany, London 31.10.2018
    Trevor Horn Royal Festival Hall 01.112018
    Fish Islington Assembly, London 07.12.2018
    Steve Hackett Bath Forum 20.11.2019

It's a very interesting lineup, with potential to do good things. I imagine that this could be seen as a logical progression of Yes, which some will no doubt carp about.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Wonder Howe might react to the news. "Oh no, it's like 1991 all over again - they're replacing me with Jimmy Haun !"

Just kidding. The project is hopefully its own thing rather than an alternate Yes, but then again it's hard not to pay attention (maybe too much) to the Yes connections involved.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post

Today has seen the announcement of a new band, Arc Of Life, featuring Jon Davison, Billy Sherwood, Jay Schellen, Jimmy Haun and Dave Kerzner.
    The line-up as well as the fact that they are singed to Frontiers Records makes the connection to Yes undeniable.

Thoughts?
    Dave posted the teaser with the photo on his FB page, but didn't give any names.
    I guessed Billy, Jon, Jimmy and Dave. I love the fact that Jimmy is in the band, he is very underrated in my opinion, and I love his playing with Circa.
    Thanks for posting this, I didn't see any update on my FB feed this morning.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I'm psyched. I love Squids!!!
    The Prog Corner

Camples?

I kid ....
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

No Dial Up; No AOL ...

So sorry ...
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Looks like an impressive line-up!
    Is their going to be a kickstart campaign?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    Looks like an impressive line-up!
    Is their going to be a kickstart campaign?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't believe it's necessary. They are signed to Frontiers records according to the OP's photo.

This is not a Dave Kerzner project per se, he's the keyboard player, and I assume contributes either in songwriting or musical parts.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

According to Henry's website:

Davison described it in a Jul 2020 interview, saying he and Sherwood "[ha]ve written a lot of music together. We've got our own side project band [...] we've got the album all ready to go [...] It should be coming out at the last point of this year [2020] or early next year [2021]."
    King Crimson Falkoner Teatret, Copenhagen 23.09.2016
    Roger Waters Palau Sant Jordi, Barcelona 13 & 14.02.2018
    Nick Mason's SOS The Half Moon, London 23.05.2018
    Yes feat ARW The Barbican York, 13.06.2018
    Nick Mason's SOS The Roundhouse 24.09.2018
    Steve Hackett London Palladium 11.10.2018
    Steve Howe The Albany, London 31.10.2018
    Trevor Horn Royal Festival Hall 01.112018
    Fish Islington Assembly, London 07.12.2018
    Steve Hackett Bath Forum 20.11.2019

According to Henry's website:

Davison described it in a Jul 2020 interview, saying he and Sherwood "[ha]ve written a lot of music together. We've got our own side project band [...] we've got the album all ready to go [...] It should be coming out at the last point of this year [2020] or early next year [2021]."
    Huh. All kinds of questions. 2/5 of Yes writing for a project that's not Yes, but includes 3/5 of Yes (4/5 if you count Haun as an honorary member.) One would assume the idea is to not tread on Yes' creative turf, which raises all kinds of expectations for what this will sound like.

That photo seems like a nod to the "Leave It" video, so could that be a hint about their musical intentions?

I'm jazzed about Squids being involved, but less jazzed if he's just a sideman. Although, if Billy is investing himself creatively into this does this mean he won't be as invested in the next Yes album, which means it may be more of a Howe/Downes effort?

Being a Yes fan is f-ing torture!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Huh. All kinds of questions. 2/5 of Yes writing for a project that's not Yes, but includes 3/5 of Yes (4/5 if you count Haun as an honorary member.) One would assume the idea is to not tread on Yes' creative turf, which raises all kinds of expectations for what this will sound like.

That photo seems like a nod to the "Leave It" video, so could that be a hint about their musical intentions?

I'm jazzed about Squids being involved, but less jazzed if he's just a sideman. Although, if Billy is investing himself creatively into this does this mean he won't be as invested in the next Yes album, which means it may be more of a Howe/Downes effort?

Being a Yes fan is f-ing torture!
    I see no conflict here for Billy or Jon with Yes and this project.
    Billy has so much energy and passion for music, he's like the energizer bunny.
    He's done a lot of projects outside of Yes, while still being in Yes and I think this is no different.

I also suspect it will be a breath of fresh air to have this line up and while the Yes lineage is ever present, it will be different than Yes, and I find that a very good thing.
    I will love to hear Jon D doing vocals without being Yes Jon D, because I've heard his vocals without doing Jon A, and he's got a wonderful voice of his OWN.
    And Billy's CIRCA stuff can often be very original to me.

Dave K has been teasing us on FB for several days about this project, and in his own words, he is just the keyboard guy.

Let's just say that next time I do a teaser pic I'm going to set the opacity at 100%! haha. Damn the Prog Sleuths really are good at this. I need to up my teasing game. To be fair, I still can't confirm the details until official announcement which will be this month, maybe sooner than you think! However, I can tell you that this is a band I was invited to join as the keyboard player. I'm especially looking forward to the live shows the band will eventually do! It'll be a fun challenge and a good time. I won't disappoint anyone with sparkly keyboard sounds when it needs to be a Minimoog or a Mellotron don't worry! haha

I didn't write any of the songs on this album but that's ok. I have so many other projects where I write the songs and get to run the show. It's actually nice and quite refreshing to just walk into someone else's band and have all the pieces in place... a manager (great one too), agent, label and all that. So different than my typical DIY approach (with Kickstarter and other creative modern ways of making it happen independently). But, you know what I like the most about this? It's a band and there's a great vibe and brotherhood to it. I see a lot of potential in how it can evolve.

I'm telling you, man, musicians spend so much time on our own in our studios sending tracks around to each other (especially now with pandemic but even in normal times we're often isolated) that getting together with these guys even just for the photoshoot (btw the teaser pic I used was not even one of the official ones, it's just one I like for obvious reasons ) was a blast! Hard to explain that feeling. But, I definitely missed it (and miss it again now so I look forward to playing live with these guys when it's possible).
    Last edited by Squids; 12-03-2020 at 03:50 PM.

Yeah, I'm totally in for this!
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Kudos to all of you! Bring it on.

I'd definitely go to a gig.

You guys should do a whole Raiders of the Lost Ark (Arc) style vid. Complete with you guys being chased over the Ark and their faces eventually melting when they open it.
    Last edited by Sean; 12-02-2020 at 10:53 PM.

PS You have a budget of 114.24 to work with.

Old man of prog
    What???

No William Shatner. ?

Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Although, if Billy is investing himself creatively into this does this mean he won't be as invested in the next Yes album, which means it may be more of a Howe/Downes effort?
    It seems the Arc of Life album was written around 18 months ago, so I don't think it has any more implication for who's inputting into the current Yes writing sessions than the 4th Downes Braide Association studio album (to be announced this week), Love Is, the 3rd Prog Collective album or any other side project.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    the 4th Downes Braide Association studio album (to be announced this week)

Henry
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    It's a very interesting lineup, with potential to do good things. I imagine that this could be seen as a logical progression of Yes, which some will no doubt carp about.
    In five years, this could *be* Yes...

Are they going to sound any different that the current Yes?

Thoughts?
    Maybe Davison finally brings in his Sky Cries Mary-history! It's been so long we heard something of that band.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    In five years, this could *be* Yes...
    Was waiting for this comment.

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    Are they going to sound any different that the current Yes?
    If it doesn't have Howe, it won't sounds like current Yes. I know that Haun can approximate him, but Howe's style is pretty unique and identifiable.