Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Arc Of Life, new band featuring Davison, Schellen, Sherwood, Kerzner and Haun

This should prompt some level-headed discussion.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This should prompt some level-headed discussion.
    :-)

It's very mainstream: you wouldn't know that was a Yes-influenced band if you weren't told. But then maybe Frontiers wanted to lead with that for the debut single. Sounds like it could have been recorded 30 years ago. I quite like the chorus, but there isn't much else to it.

Interesting that it's Sherwood on lead vocals. Interesting that it was clearly filmed with Sherwood/Davison/Haun/Schellen and then Squids has just been edited in.

Here's a much better recent video with Sherwood on it:

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Interesting that it's Sherwood on lead vocals. Interesting that it was clearly filmed with Sherwood/Davison/Haun/Schellen and then Squids has just been edited in.

Henry
    Exactly my thoughts upon watching it.

I like the interplay of the vocals. And I like the song, despite its simplicity. I'm interested to hear more, which I guess is the point.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm interested to hear more
    I'm interested to hear more, despite, not because of, that song! ;-) Maybe it'll grow on me, but I'd say it's weaker than the last thing I got with Sherwood on it (The Rome Pro(G)ject's IV - Beaten Paths Different Ways), the last thing I got with Davison on it (Steve Howe's Love Is), the last thing I got with Schellen on it (the last live Yes I got), the last thing I got with Haun on it (Steve Porcaro's Someday/Somehow), or the last thing I got with Kerzner on it (In Continuum's Acceleration Theory Special Edition Parts One & Two)! Roll on some more camples.

Henry

It's very mainstream:.
    Maybe, but it sounds more "power pop" than AOR to me. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Maybe, but it sounds more "power pop" than AOR to me. I like it.
    Don’t feel the need to ever listen to that again. First Steven Wilson and now this. What is going on

Shit just got made real, Bro.

I'm interested to hear more, despite, not because of, that song! ;-) Maybe it'll grow on me, but I'd say it's weaker than the last thing I got with Sherwood on it (The Rome Pro(G)ject's IV - Beaten Paths Different Ways), the last thing I got with Davison on it (Steve Howe's Love Is), the last thing I got with Schellen on it (the last live Yes I got), the last thing I got with Haun on it (Steve Porcaro's Someday/Somehow), or the last thing I got with Kerzner on it (In Continuum's Acceleration Theory Special Edition Parts One & Two)! Roll on some more camples.

Henry
    Camples, song titles and timings at iTunes-at least in the USA.

Sounds like an Open Your Eyes outtake IMO. And yeah, interesting choice to give the lead vocal on your lead single to the guy who is not the best singer in the group.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I thought the main verse was repeated too much, especially for 4:45 minutes long without much variation. Nice n easy, but a little goes a long way.
    And the break in the middle didn't do much, and I'm a big Jimmy Haun fan. I thought it needed(and I was waiting for it) a much stronger break to break the similarities of the first and last sections.
    I like Billy's style of vocals, and would've liked it to have not been so processed. I like it a bit more raw and less effects.

It was nice to see our very own Dave Kerzner added to the video, and hope to hear more of his playing on future releases.

I'm happy for these guys, and after the kind of year 2020's been, a little lightness is ok.

If you like something more artistic, or quirky, please check out our member's John Battema, PolyPet and Bob Drake releases to name a few.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Ohn no. Billy shouldn't be singing on this project. His voice only worked on the first World Trade record. Nowadays his voice is a fiasco and the use of artificial layers, filters and effects is even worse. Actually, this song sounds like the worst part of Circa, Conspiracy, Yoso or any of your generic and insipid solo albums. Such a shame. I love all the people involved in this band. But Billy stamp spoil all for me. More of the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_84UCEDeEkc

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Sounds like an Open Your Eyes outtake IMO. And yeah, interesting choice to give the lead vocal on your lead single to the guy who is not the best singer in the group.
    Agree with Paulrus. Just imo of course but I think Sherwood's processed voice sounds terrible here, like ear bleedingly awful. Billy can't sing> Even his background vocals on recent live Yes projects where he tries to ape the late Chris Squire are pretty bad when the volume is elevated. Billy's a nice guy and a talented musician even if I don't really care for what he tends to produce but when you have Jon Davison in the band why on earth would you put out something where the vox are this processed and terrible? At least when Trevor Rabin and Jon Anderson were in the same band, Rabin could sing. I really hope this is the only song Billy Sherwood sing's lead on.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Camples, song titles and timings at iTunes-at least in the USA.
    And in the UK. The other samples sound better than the lead single, and much more Davison leading on the vocals. Sounds about half and half who takes lead. Similar to CIRCA: overall. But it all needs a better producer.

Why wasn't "Life has a Way" the lead single? Some nice Squids on "I Want to Know You Better".

Henry

I scanned through all of the songs on iTunes. It seems like Sherwood is singing lead on most of them.

It also looks like Kerzner was recorded elsewhere and added into the video.

Makes me wonder if the Ava project-that I linked to on previous page-morphed into Arc of Life:

I scanned through all of the songs on iTunes. It seems like Sherwood is singing lead on most of them.
    From the samples, I hear...

"The Magic of It All": shared lead
    "You Make It Real": you've heard
    "Locked Down": Davison lead
    "Life has a Way": Sherwood lead
    "I Want to Know You Better": Sherwood lead
    "Therefore We are": Davison lead
    "Until Further Notice": shared lead
    "The End Game": Davison lead
    "Just in Sight": shared lead

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    That's what it brought to mind. I can't say I don't like it but it's a pop song with a decent hook and pleasant enough to listen to but not something I really want to hear over and over again.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

The 80s called...They want their video back.

Who is the target audience for that?

^ It has a rotary phone in it.

Makes me wonder if the Ava project-that I linked to on previous page-morphed into Arc of Life:
    That was my assumption

No Squire, No Arc of Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    No Squire, No Arc of Life.
    Sherwood is starting to look a lot like Squire, isn't that enough? And Haun bears a resemblance to a certain diminutive frontman...

As for the song, yeah, um, like Ken asks above: Who is the audience for this? I can't think of one single instance where the "radio-friendly pop song on the otherwise proggy album by prog veterans" has ever gotten any friendship from the radio in return. Well I guess not since Owner of a Lonely Heart anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ It has a rotary phone in it.
    It had a rotary phone with push buttons.

No one’s ever gonna confuse this with Yes. Ever.

"You Make It Real"... too weak for such talented musicians... May be if it were called "This Is Not Real".

Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    No one’s ever gonna confuse this with Yes. Ever.
    That could depend on which "Yes" we are talking about.