Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: In praise of straight up Pop

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Lucky thrift store find recently: Show Some Emotion by Joan Armatrading. Her three Glyn Johns-produced albums (this is the second) are musts!

I love her first two albums. She is very talented. Lost her over the years though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Then there's contemporary pop. Most of the good stuff seems to be women: Gaga, Tayor Swift, a whole bunch. Even Katy Perry at times.
    That's quite a shift from not so long ago. Deejays and Veejays had a quota of 1 female artist per hour, or every 2 hours. That's what prompted Sarah McLachlan to start the Lilith Fair tours.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Jon Neudorf
    I've been getting into some Beck lately, Phoenix Rising, Hyperspace, etc. What do you people think of him? Pretty talented dude me thinks.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    I've been getting into some Beck lately, Phoenix Rising, Hyperspace, etc. What do you people think of him? Pretty talented dude me thinks.
    I have a good friend, a musician (among other things) and he's a huge fan of Beck. Never jumped in myself.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Beck is very talented, and has made some of my favorite pop songs of the last couple decades. Odelay is a really solid record, IMO. He's good at mixing weirdness into catchy tunes, although there's actually a bit more to him than just that.

Jon Neudorf
    Yeah, agree, kind of quirky at times, or weird as you say. Pretty chameleon-esque as he seems to change from album to album. Pretty intelligent as far as pop music goes.

Mozo-pg, you should check him out and report back on your impressions. Of course, only if time allows. There is so much music out there to explore.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    Yeah, agree, kind of quirky at times, or weird as you say. Pretty chameleon-esque as he seems to change from album to album. Pretty intelligent as far as pop music goes.

Mozo-pg, you should check him out and report back on your impressions. Of course, only if time allows. There is so much music out there to explore.
    I usually have a prog night clubs where we rotate at different houses, including the musician I mentioned, and I could ask him to bring some Beck along. That is, if it wasn't for this pandemic!! In the interim, I'll explore his music on my own.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.