Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: ELP Works Vol. 2

Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    - Not sure if Alembics sound like that or, like it was suggested, the setup was wrong OR it was again, crappy-ly recorded, but man,
    v
    Alembics are quite capable of sounding way better than this. Here's three examples:

OK, so that Scorpions clip isn't particularly high fidelity, but if you stick with, there's places where the rhythm guitar drops out and you can hear the bass properly.

I have this on vinyl and last played it in about 1993.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    throwing Fripp out of the limousine
    Yup, but fortunately not at high speed. I'll now have to have this image stuck in my brain on listening to just about anything ol' Bob was ever involved in.

Still I'm very glad there are folks like T. Levin to put things in a manner of related perspective as creativity goes, with his comments on how Sleepytime Gorilla Museum were actually doing things they didn't even think of attempting in any of his own projects. That's the grandness of "prog" renown.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    I put together an edit of this period and I think had this appeared as a single album (with an emphasis on the jazz style) , it would have been looked up much more favourably.
    However, I still think the overall path of ELP had come to an end by the late 70s. I mean, who wants a trio doing Love Beach when
    you can have a trio doing Reggatta de Blanc or All Mod Cons ?

Here is my tracklisting:

Side One:
    1. Fanfare For The Common Man
    2. LA Nights
    3. Bullfrog
    4. Hallowed By Thy Name

Side Two:
    1. Close But Not Touching
    2. So Far To Fall
    3. Food For Your Soul
    4. Pirates

Attachment 14658
    I did something similar but also wanted to bring in some Love Beach tracks. It makes a pretty good single album that I labeled "Scoundrels and Gentlemen" on my music manager:

SIDE ONE:
    "Brain Salad Surgery"
    "Memoirs of an Officer and Gentleman"

SIDE TWO:
    "Tiger in a Spotlight"
    "Canario"
    "Pirates"
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

All I'd include are the group tracks:

Side 1
    Fanfare For The Common Man
    So Far To Fall
    Tiger In A Spotlight

Side 2
    Pirates
    Show Me The Way To Go Home

I think 'Brain Salad Surgery' and 'When The Apple Blossoms...' sound like the offcuts they were, and work better as B side-type tracks. The rest is more or less solo material and should have been released as such IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    What do you all think of this one?

I think Pt. 1 gets more attention but this is actually as cool. Maybe a little more diverse too. Just got it after years of hearing it was weak. It's not bad for a batch of leftovers, methinks.
    I've never had a problem with it, but I'm a fan of everything but In The Hot Seat.

Listened to the combination I bought, Works volume 2 and Works live on a double CD.
    I suppose Scott Joplin must be turning in his grave. Maple leaf rag is played much to fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    That's probably my favorite thing on Works Vol. 1 apart from "Pirates." I was surprised when I learned that it was Emerson playing the uncredited piano--doesn't sound like him to me. More of a Keith Tippetty thing.
    I also like "Hallowed be Thy Name". One of the best songs Greg Lake ever did.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I also like "Hallowed be Thy Name". One of the best songs Greg Lake ever did.
    Excellent point!
    It is a wonderful song; quintessential Sinfield lyrics.

Wholllly crap!

I go out of my way to feature albums and manage maximum two pages, and the owner opens a thread about the crummiest classic 70's prog albums, and he gets 6 pages.

You dudes are a sad bunch

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Absolutely terrible in every sense. I actually prefer Love Beach...

I haven't heard it (W2) since I sacrificed it to try to decapitate my stupid neighbour's dog (the dog was even stupider)
    Of course that crummy album wasn't even good for that (killing dogs) and the dog chewed it apart - maybe he ate sharp pieces of vinyls that did internal intestine damages.

======================

More seriously I guess I should revisit it some day (along with the W1), but as you can guess, my enthusiasm is at an all-time high.

=======================

All I remember from that album seems to be BSS, Tiger and Father X-mas.

For that tour (the only time I saw the band), I was at the Big O show in Montreal, the one that gave us the Live album.
    If memory serves, Harmonium was originally scheduled to open the show, but they thought ELP should open for them, so they bowed out.
    Last edited by Trane; 02-03-2021 at 03:00 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Wholllly crap!

I go out of my way to feature albums and manage maximum two pages, and the owner opens a thread about the crummiest classic 70's prog albums, and he gets 6 pages.

You dues are a sad bunch

I haven't heard it since I sacrificed it to try to decapitate my stupid neighbour's dog (the dog was even stupider)
    Of course that crummy album wasn't even good for that (killing dogs) and the dog chewed it apart - maybe he ate sharp pieces of vinyls that did internal intestine damages.

======================

More seriously I guess I should revisit it some day (along with the W1), but my enthusiasm is at an all-time high.

=======================

All I remember from that album seems to be BSS, Tiger and Father X-mas.

For that tour (the only time I saw the band), I was at the Big O show in Montreal, the one that gave us the Live album.
    If memory serves, Harmonium was originally scheduled to open the show, but they thought ELP should open for them, so they bowed out.
    I would have clearly preferred Harmonium first but they had no way close to the exposure ELP had in the 70s.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    :In defense of Alembic, virtually everyone else I've seen playing one gets a great tone from them, e.g. John Entwistle, Phil Lesh, and Jimmy Johnson, to name just three.
    A lot musicians played Alembics (let's not forget Stanley Clarke) wonderfully, but I believe few of them played an 8 stringed one. I always wondered if the extra strings caused the sound?

Quote Originally Posted by pbs1902 View Post
    A lot musicians played Alembics (let's not forget Stanley Clarke) wonderfully, but I believe few of them played an 8 stringed one. I always wondered if the extra strings caused the sound?
    In the words of LL Cool J, "Nah, I don't think so". How is it being an 8 string bass going to mess up the tone like that?! Lots of people have gotten great sounds from 8 string basses, and off the top of my head, I know this track features an 8 string Alembic:

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Wholllly crap!

You dues are a sad bunch
    To be fair, at least 5 of those 6 pages are posts geeking out about bass tones.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I would have clearly preferred Harmonium first but they had no way close to the exposure ELP had in the 70s.
    yeah, in Belgium, we'd say they couldn't button up their shirts up anymore (dikkenek)

They were probaby overestimating themselves by a fait margin, as they would've probably never been able to fill The Big O by themselves - or else they would've tried it. But my guess was that by that point, Fiori couldn't deal with the whole shebang anymore, so their "demand" was a way to cop out of it (IMHO)

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    To be fair, at least 5 of those 6 pages are posts geeking out about bass tones.
    Yup, I later saw that
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.