Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd's Delicate Sound of Thunder- 2020 DVD/Blu Ray

Pink Floyd's Delicate Sound of Thunder- 2020 DVD/Blu Ray

Just curious if any of you picked this up and what you think of it.

PF.jpg

I enjoyed it and thought it was worth having. I played the album and VHS to death back in the day. I guess the only frustrating thing is no extra footage surfaced. Like they just didn't film the whole show. Tunes like Welcome to the Machine and Another Brick Pt 2 are glaring omissions. I know they are on the reissued audio CD version though. I think...

This review sort of summed up things for me... I felt the transfer was a bit blah looking and the vid tape version had better clarity at times. This new version seems....darker, by and large.

"Pink Floyd: Delicate Sound of Thunder is presented on Blu-ray courtesy of Pink Floyd Records with an AVC encoded 1080p transfer in 1.78:1. While the insert booklet unfortunately doesn't provide any real technical data, I found this article in Rolling Stone that mentions a 4K restoration from "the original 35 mm film" (as the article states), though I'm assuming this master was culled from either a negative or interpositive, and not from a print (if anyone has authoritative information in that regard, Private Message me and I'll happily post an update here). This is by and large a great looking transfer, but there are some rather large variances in clarity and detail levels between the "live" concert fare and some of the cutaways to the video elements which the audience in the arena is seeing projected on various screens. The concert footage can sometimes look rather gritty, maybe even a bit noisy, when the stage is bathed in blue tones in particular (which it often is), as can be seen in several of the screenshots I've uploaded to accompany this review. Better lit material has a much more finely resolved grain field, and fine detail in particular is more consistent in these moments. A lot of the cutaway material is considerably more detailed in general, and because so much of it is in brighter lighting conditions, the palette pops with more authority. There are some very minor signs of age, with tiny white flecks and the like occasionally showing up."

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Pink-...lu-ray/277638/

"Pink Floyd: Delicate Sound of Thunder features LPCM 2.0 and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 tracks, though this is another live concert disc which has been authored to default to the stereo track, so have your remote handy if you want to experience the surround track. Both tracks offer sterling fidelity, but this is another release where I personally wish the vocals could have been mixed a bit more forward. This struck me on both tracks (often stereo iterations sound better to me in terms of vocal prioritization), so I'm assuming this was part of a deliberate choice on David Gilmour, who reportedly supervised the remix. Otherwise, there's a very nice spacious quality in the surround mix, and there is some very forceful midrange and low end (the thumping quasi-tympani at the open of Dogs of War may rattle the floorboards for some). There is a nice precision to the layering of the instrumentation, and the rhythm instruments in particular pack some considerable punch. There are a few kind of curious mix choices other than the vocals, as in some of the cutaways to the filmed material, where background clamor of the audience kind of sounds almost like white noise at times."

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Sean; 11-25-2020 at 04:02 AM.

The thing about Welcome To The Machine is, since the song was accompanied by a film, they could have just shown the film, with the audio track (which appears on the revamped CD edition) accompanying it.

I think the new version is amazing. Video is fine, the audio is remarkable. Gave me an entirely new appreciation for the album. Got this with the big box about a year or so ago, and I'm assuming they haven't tweaked anything further.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

A slightly cut version was shown here in the UK a few days ago, albeit with the dreaded PAL speed-up so all the songs ran fast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/576i#PAL_speed-up

Nevertheless, on picture alone, I thought the new version wiped the floor with the old one, which had way too much post-production for my taste. Even this new one still had some of the slow motion crowd shots, but other than that it was fine.

PULSE is better- only shot on videotape, alas, but it's a complete concert with no frills. Not even the new version of the Delicate Sound... film with the 4/5 more tracks as extra features is truly complete. (ISTR the old VHS only had the intro of 'Shine On...'- who made that stupid decision?? At least it's restored here.)
    Last edited by JJ88; 11-25-2020 at 08:29 AM.

If you really want the whole nine yards of this song, I recommend to get the Wish you were Here "Immersion Box" that does include a blu ray disc & DVD with the complete "Welcome to the machine" video.
    It starts with the chrome sphere and mechanical lizard up to the monolith rising from the bleeding sea of hands, all in 5.1 surround sound really cool!

My all time favorite Floyd video maybe because the first time I laid eyes on it was at Olympic stadium in Montreal for the original "In the flesh" tour July 1977 :-)
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

I got the 4 disc boxset because the stand alone blu ray doesn't include the bonus tracks. Really enjoyed it, fabulous sound and vision. It reminds me of the two shows I saw on this tour, particularly at Wembley Stadium. I've waited years for this so couldn't be happier with it.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    PE digs into my wallet, again!!! Almost $40 Canadian but what the hell.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I watched a video on Youtube the other evening that was titled "Best of Delicate Sound of Thunder remix 2019"obviously not the same as what has just been released.. wasn't the full show about 120 mins total. Only issue I had with that version was toward the end of the video things got a bit out of sync but soon caught up. I just tried to locate it on Youtube but couldn't find it.. perhaps someone took it down. There's also a best of Pulse on there.. same length.. I saw DSOT tour in Washington DC. Think it was still called Capital Center at that time.. And like Sean when the album was released I copied the CD to a tape and wore it out from so much playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    If you really want the whole nine yards of this song, I recommend to get the Wish you were Here "Immersion Box" that does include a blu ray disc & DVD with the complete "Welcome to the machine" video.
    It starts with the chrome sphere and mechanical lizard up to the monolith rising from the bleeding sea of hands, all in 5.1 surround sound really cool!
    Two things:

1. If I'm not mistaken, on the Immersion disc, the video is out of sync. When they did in concert, the spheres shrinking and being engulfed by larger spheres intro was accompanied by a series of filter sweeps. It was only when the last sphere opened then went into the song. When MTV and VH-1 Classic used to show, the shot of the sort of tiger head shooting into the foreground, than it into the distant background, and then come back as a giant that decapitates the person is all synced up to the synth solo in the middle.

2. the arrangement they did of Welcome To The Machine on the 87-89 tour was a bit different from the studio version.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I’m a bit behind on this one. Is there a CD-only release of it? If so, is this the same version that’s in the Discovery box set? I’ve listened to some of the tracks on Spotify and they sound very good! Thanks

Just got the DVD today in the mail. I watched the first hour already and thought it was fabulous before even getting into the more classic set. Incredible stereo fidelity and the video was crisp and clean, I had no issues with it. Is it the best filmed concert in the world, no, but it is a great capture of the tour I was happy to see/hear again. One thing I recall from the original release is that it very much looked like a giant MTV video, rather than a live concert. I hated it, big time. This was re-edited from the masters, and while I don't have a good memory to compare, I didn't get that feeling so much with this edit. Many of the edits seemed to long to be MTV styled.

I'm glad to have this. Quit bitching is my advice.

Can't say I was "bitching", just trying to get a thread going.

Yeah, the old version had a lot of black and white, slow mo overlays that made it seem more like an 80s music vid. There is one I do sort of miss, which was actually color, over Great Gig where they show them at some outdoor gig win Europe with the fireworks. That was kinda nice...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Can't say I was "bitching", just trying to get a thread going.

Yeah, the old version had a lot of black and white, slow mo overlays that made it seem more like an 80s music vid. There is one I do sort of miss, which was actually color, over Great Gig where they show them at some outdoor gig win Europe with the fireworks. That was kinda nice...
    Was that the one shot in Venice? I've got that on VHS but it's been a while since I watched it.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Was that the one shot in Venice? I've got that on VHS but it's been a while since I watched it.
    No, The Great Gig that was on the original VHS was shot at Versailles in France. There was another show in Venice that was broadcast in full on tv.

the new version is the complete show right? i got rid of mine years ago, might get this if it offers more material.

I don't have 5.1 surround sound, has anyone listened to the stereo version?
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    the new version is the complete show right? i got rid of mine years ago, might get this if it offers more material.
    Read the rest of this thread and find out...

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Two things:

1. If I'm not mistaken, on the Immersion disc, the video is out of sync. When they did in concert, the spheres shrinking and being engulfed by larger spheres intro was accompanied by a series of filter sweeps. It was only when the last sphere opened then went into the song. When MTV and VH-1 Classic used to show, the shot of the sort of tiger head shooting into the foreground, than it into the distant background, and then come back as a giant that decapitates the person is all synced up to the synth solo in the middle.

2. the arrangement they did of Welcome To The Machine on the 87-89 tour was a bit different from the studio version.
    On #1 - Agreed, it is out of sync, good catch! I never watched MTV much less now. But the decapitation part is on the Blu ray version.

On #2 - This arrangement is not included on the original Delicate sound release (but is on the restored version I have yet to hear, can't wait). But, obviously does not include Roger Waters so I'm sure it was different.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    Only if you buy the 4 disc boxset. If you buy the stand alone Blu Ray or DVD you only get Money added back in but not Yet Another Movie/Round & Around/Terminal Frost.

TBH the 2CD with the complete tour set-list (other than 'Echoes', which was ditched early on) looked like the best thing on The Later Years box. So I'm glad that got a separate release.

On the version shown here in the UK on the weekend, 'Money' and 'The Dogs Of War' were cut from the film (so it was only 14 tracks). Apparently it was an edit intended for a theatrical screening that didn't happen this year.

I have the VHS version, close to 2 1/2 hours in length. The FM encoded, flying head Hi-Fi Stereo track sounds fantastic, so I see no reason to re-purchase it.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I remember that decapitation scene from the 77 tour, 20,000 people in MSG gasping in unison. Its burnt into my brain, what a show that was!!!
    Thinking is the best way to Travel....

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    On #1 - Agreed, it is out of sync, good catch! I never watched MTV much less now. But the decapitation part is on the Blu ray version.
    Yeah, that was always there, but the version I remember seeing on Youtube (which I understood to be sourced from the Immersion set) the decapitation bit wasn't synced with Rick's solo the way it was when MTV and VH-1 Classic showed it. Then again, Iv'e got several bootleg videos from 87 and 88, and I don't think it syncs up there either.

I was kinda just only getting into Pink Floyd when The Division Bell and Pulse came out. It seemed like though when Pulse came out, it retconned Delicate Sound of Thunder, because that album felt like it became harder to find, where as Pulse was really *the* document of the Gilmour-led band. I'll need to get this at some point because Ive never actually seen the original movie.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

^^ I have both Pulse and Delicate Sound on VHS. Both are Roger-less, so in that sense, they're David Gilmore solo concerts...backed up by Rick, Nick, and a plethora of supporting musicians. Supporting musicians including a second keyboardist, a second drummer, and a second guitarists playing quite a few solos in David's stead.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama