Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd's Delicate Sound of Thunder- 2020 DVD/Blu Ray

I had the original Pulse and DSOT VHS tapes as well, and wore them out from watching over and over.

Pulse is by and large the same, some slight differences/improvements.

But DSOT is honestly like an entirely new concert for me. The audio is vastly remixed and improved (you can actually HEAR Nick Mason's drums instead of the samples now), and while the film footage isn't exactly a radical rework it does feel more like a live concert recording instead of an 80's music video. Several tracks are now full/complete including Shine On, the solo at the end of Comfortably Numb is no longer truncated (turns out both the audio and video versions were shortened, had no idea), and I'm pretty sure the solo at the end of either Turning Away or Sorrow is also extended from before.

To be clear, not even George Lucas levels of retconning could do anything about Scott Page's spectacularly 80's mullet and stage posturing...but, tis what tis on that front
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Crap, I just noticed that Welcome to the Machine is not on the DVD!

Guess I'll have to re-buy the CD reissue as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Crap, I just noticed that Welcome to the Machine is not on the DVD!

Guess I'll have to re-buy the CD reissue as well..
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    To be clear, not even George Lucas levels of retconning could do anything about Scott Page's spectacularly 80's mullet and stage posturing...but, tis what tis on that front
    It's not the hair and the posing that bother me, so much as his habit of moaning into the sax during, i believe, every song he's featured on.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Supporting musicians including a second keyboardist, a second drummer, and a second guitarists playing quite a few solos in David's stead.
    That's not even close to being true. Tim Renwick played lead guitar on Learning To Fly, and the second solo on Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2. The rest of the solos are all Gilmour's.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I liked both Pulse and DSOT. While it was nice to get Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety on Pulse, Great Gig in the Sky on DSOT is miles better, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    That's not even close to being true. Tim Renwick played lead guitar on Learning To Fly, and the second solo on Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2. The rest of the solos are all Gilmour's.
    And on Another Brick his follows Dave's.

It's not the hair and the posing that bother me, so much as his habit of moaning into the sax during, i believe, every song he's featured on.
    Doesn't phase me on Dogs of War, but the earlier stuff...yep: tis what tis ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

OK, X-mas gift . TBH, at first I thought I was going to splurge for it and then I forgot about it, but my bro gave it to me (He was also at one of the shows, back then). I never owned or saw either the film or owned the double live (did borrow it from the library during the 90's)

Viewed it last night, and the sonics are more than OK, though the APLOR tracks still sound bad. Visually, outside Scott Page, the thing seems ok, though I am still disappointed for a few reasons:
    1- I saw the first and third shows of that tour in the CNE (Toronto) and this DVD didn't bring back many memories, because it was inside the MSG arena, starting in the dark; whereas it was daylight for most of the two stadium shows I saw. I suppose this changed also some of those big effects (stage props) not being shown in the DVD. I couldn't tell you which were missing (blurry memory), but I was surprised how little of themthere is on this film.
    2- What's this thing about the AMLOR-type bed crashing into an explosion at the end of On The Run? I distinctly remember it was a red plane already in flames before crashing (I mean on third show in the nosebleeds, the thing passed by me a few yards away).
    3- Despite being recorded over five nights, the cuts are awfully done, and easily noticed by my GF, who is anything but an expert.
    4- Amazing that almost every instrument is doubled on stage compared to the Waters days: double drum kits, double KB sets (I didn't remember that!), double guitars... Only the bass is single - Well at least they didn't double the sax.
    5- I suppose that by the time they hit the MSG (as opposed to the very early tour shows I witnessed), the crowds had grown more accustomed to the AMLOR stuff, but I have no memory the crowd going wild during those tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I got the 4 disc boxset because the stand alone blu ray doesn't include the bonus tracks. Really enjoyed it, fabulous sound and vision. It reminds me of the two shows I saw on this tour, particularly at Wembley Stadium. I've waited years for this so couldn't be happier with it.
    No way I'd want the 4CD, but outside the WTTMachine, what else was bonus (if it's AMLOR tracks, who gives a hoot)?

AFAIAC, Pulse (saw it thrice and the tour once live) still wipes the floor with DSOT, though I never owned that one as well. Maybe one day...
    Not sure I'd get more mileage than I will from Thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Only if you buy the 4 disc boxset. If you buy the stand alone Blu Ray or DVD you only get Money added back in but not Yet Another Movie/Round & Around/Terminal Frost.
    Well I'll settle for that, don't need the others (Machine excepted)

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    I was kinda just only getting into Pink Floyd when The Division Bell and Pulse came out. It seemed like though when Pulse came out, it retconned Delicate Sound of Thunder, because that album felt like it became harder to find, where as Pulse was really *the* document of the Gilmour-led band. I'll need to get this at some point because Ive never actually seen the original movie.
    TBH, you still don't really need Thunder, unless you have too much money and don't know what to do with it. (IMHO, of course)

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Yup, atrocious mulet and atricious stage dramatics. That takes away almost a full star off the general rating.

At one point, I think he evens burps into his horn - on the other (microphone) side

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I'm glad to have this. Quit bitching is my advice.
    Nope!! (just for the insufferable S Page)

I kind of like this DVD, happy I viewed it , but was hoping for more memory flashes.

Hopefully, I'll get more enjoyment out of the Mason's Saucerful of Secret film (prgrammed tonight)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Just got the DVD today in the mail. I watched the first hour already and thought it was fabulous before even getting into the more classic set. Incredible stereo fidelity and the video was crisp and clean, I had no issues with it. Is it the best filmed concert in the world, no, but it is a great capture of the tour I was happy to see/hear again. One thing I recall from the original release is that it very much looked like a giant MTV video, rather than a live concert. I hated it, big time. This was re-edited from the masters, and while I don't have a good memory to compare, I didn't get that feeling so much with this edit. Many of the edits seemed to long to be MTV styled.
    Did you get the DVD or Blu Ray, and does anyone know why the Blu Ray is an hour and half longer than the DVD version? at least that's how it's listed on Amazon.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    2- What's this thing about the AMLOR-type bed crashing into an explosion at the end of On The Run? I distinctly remember it was a red plane already in flames before crashing (I mean on third show in the nosebleeds, the thing passed by me a few yards away).
    I remember MTV doing a "behind the scenes" thing not too long into the tour, and I remember that showed a bit of video, showing the bed being put into place prior to the performance, so if they were using the plane, they must have switched over pretty early. I have a video of the Philadelphia show, on VHS, but I can't remember if you see the plane or the bed.

I imagine the plane would be one of the things Waters tried to claim a copyright on and say "You can't use that". You'll recall the band gave the pig a sex change, equipping it with a set of male genitalia, to circumvent Roger in this arena. The only footage I've seen, besides what's been officially released is from Atlanta, Vienna, and the second leg of the US tour in 88. I also have a bootleg VHS copy of the Venice show from 89, which was recently issued on the Later Years boxset (and which was shown on PBS earlier this year).

I guess for the European leg of the tour, they had this giant sort of Chinese kite looking thing that shot out from the stage during Learning To Fly, which you can see on the Vienna video.

4- Amazing that almost every instrument is doubled on stage compared to the Waters days: double drum kits, double KB sets (I didn't remember that!), double guitars... Only the bass is single - Well at least they didn't double the sax.
    They did on the last few tours when Waters was around. They'd be using two guitarists and two keyboardists since 77, and the dual drums date back to 81. BTW, Scott Page also plays guitar on a few songs on this thing (e.g. Comfortably Numb and On The Turning Away) so for those tunes they've got triple guitars.
    5- I suppose that by the time they hit the MSG (as opposed to the very early tour shows I witnessed), the crowds had grown more accustomed to the AMLOR stuff, but I have no memory the crowd going wild during those tracks.

No way I'd want the 4CD, but outside the WTTMachine, what else was bonus (if it's AMLOR tracks, who gives a hoot)?

AFAIAC, Pulse (saw it thrice and the tour once live) still wipes the floor with DSOT, though I never owned that one as well. Maybe one day...
    Not sure I'd get more mileage than I will from Thunder.

Well I'll settle for that, don't need the others (Machine excepted)

TBH, you still don't really need Thunder, unless you have too much money and don't know what to do with it. (IMHO, of course)

Yup, atrocious mulet and atricious stage dramatics. That takes away almost a full star off the general rating.

At one point, I think he evens burps into his horn - on the other (microphone) side

Nope!! (just for the insufferable S Page)

I kind of like this DVD, happy I viewed it , but was hoping for more memory flashes.

Hopefully, I'll get more enjoyment out of the Mason's Saucerful of Secret film (prgrammed tonight)[/QUOTE]

They did on the last few tours when Waters was around. They'd be using two guitarists and two keyboardists since 77, and the dual drums date back to 81.
    Indeed, Snowy White joined for the 1977 tour, but he was playing a lot of bass as well as guitar, especially on the "Animals" material (he was actually the first musician to be heard each night, playing the opening bass line to "Sheep"), but contrary to what you're saying, there was no second keyboard player on that tour. Unless you're referring to Dick Parry supposedly playing some additional keyboards, but as far as I'm aware nowhere near enough to qualify as a "second keyboard player" in the same sense that White was a "second guitarist".

There were "Wall" performances in 1980, not just 1981, so the dual drums date back to 1980, but you probably meant that.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Some of the extra tracks on the new CD were on the old VHS, but not the album. 'On The Run' and 'The Great Gig In The Sky' are among them. TBH I think both tracks work better within the context of DSOTM as a complete entity.

Things like this (and a different sax player!) are why I think Pulse was a better live album than Delicate Sound..., although I do appreciate having a more organic band sound on the then-new AMLOR tracks.

I remember MTV doing a "behind the scenes" thing not too long into the tour, and I remember that showed a bit of video, showing the bed being put into place prior to the performance, so if they were using the plane, they must have switched over pretty early. I have a video of the Philadelphia show, on VHS, but I can't remember if you see the plane or the bed.

I imagine the plane would be one of the things Waters tried to claim a copyright on and say "You can't use that". You'll recall the band gave the pig a sex change, equipping it with a set of male genitalia, to circumvent Roger in this arena. The only footage I've seen, besides what's been officially released is from Atlanta, Vienna, and the second leg of the US tour in 88. I also have a bootleg VHS copy of the Venice show from 89, which was recently issued on the Later Years boxset (and which was shown on PBS earlier this year).

I guess for the European leg of the tour, they had this giant sort of Chinese kite looking thing that shot out from the stage during Learning To Fly, which you can see on the Vienna video.
    It could also be that the plane in flame (fireworks-type flames) was judged unsafe for the crowd it flew over. I mean in a 60K+ stadium, if that screwed up halfway through, it could've harmed dozens of people

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Indeed, Snowy White joined for the 1977 tour, but he was playing a lot of bass as well as guitar, especially on the "Animals" material (he was actually the first musician to be heard each night, playing the opening bass line to "Sheep"), but contrary to what you're saying, there was no second keyboard player on that tour. Unless you're referring to Dick Parry supposedly playing some additional keyboards, but as far as I'm aware nowhere near enough to qualify as a "second keyboard player" in the same sense that White was a "second guitarist".

There were "Wall" performances in 1980, not just 1981, so the dual drums date back to 1980, but you probably meant that.
    Mmmhhh!!!...
    I knew of Snowy White of course as far back asd 77, but the double drummer appearing for The Wall tour, was he not the guy from the second band doing a bit more than just the second band role?
    Not sure I'd count that second band as doubling the Floyd players, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    “So they sent us along as a surrogate band. We’re gonna find out where you fans really stand.”
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

^Well, it was Waters who lost that test- something he conceded. Anyway, I can't see how anyone could listen to Radio KAOS and think that was any better than Momentary Lapse... Having played it again a few months back, it's actually far worse, IMHO.

I prefer the 1967-79 work to anything under the Floyd name made in the 80s/90s- it's not even close. But after the split, I tend to prefer Gilmour-Floyd to Waters' solo work. Amused To Death is easily the best of that bunch, but I don't personally share his view that it compares to the classic 70s Floyd albums.

These guys were just musically (if not personally, by the end) better together than apart, IMHO.

[QUOTE=calyx;1017295]
    Indeed, Snowy White joined for the 1977 tour, but he was playing a lot of bass as well as guitar, especially on the "Animals" material (he was actually the first musician to be heard each night, playing the opening bass line to "Sheep"), but contrary to what you're saying, there was no second keyboard player on that tour.
    If I'm not mistaken, the only songs White played bass on were Sheep and maybe Pigs (3 Different Ones). I'm not sure about Pigs On The Wing Part Two, where the whole band comes in after the verse and there's a guitar solo, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure if that's Gilmour or White playing that particular solo. Dogs, I think, might have been the main reason they decided they needed a second guitarist for the tour, because of the harmony guitar parts.

As far as I know, White playing guitar through all of the Wish You Were Here set, as well as the encores.

Unless you're referring to Dick Parry supposedly playing some additional keyboards, but as far as I'm aware nowhere near enough to qualify as a "second keyboard player" in the same sense that White was a "second guitarist".
    "Supposedly". There's definitely a few bits on the bootlegs where you can hear two keyboardists, most obviously on Shine On You Crazy Diamond Part IX. But I see your point, Parry (or whomever the second keyboardist is) doesn't appear to have played throughout the entire show, as Jon Carin did circa 87-94. According to Wikipedia, it is Parry, who played from backstage.
    I knew of Snowy White of course as far back asd 77, but the double drummer appearing for The Wall tour, was he not the guy from the second band doing a bit more than just the second band role?
    I'm not sure I know what you're trying to ask there. The video footage I've seen, you can see Willie Wilson and Nick Mason both playing on the songs during the first half, before the Wall is fully built. Not sure how much he played during the second half.
    ^Well, it was Waters who lost that test- something he conceded. Anyway, I can't see how anyone could listen to Radio KAOS and think that was any better than Momentary Lapse... Having played it again a few months back, it's actually far worse, IMHO.
    There's this logic that because Waters had this Big Statement that he was trying to make with his record, that it was somehow superior. Contrastingly, one might argue that while A Momentary Lapse Of Reason at least sounded like a Pink Floyd record, the lyrics were maybe not quite up to snuff. (shrug) Hey, look at my screen name, that'll tell you which I side I come down. I'll take the record that's got a bunch of David Gilmour guitar solos (and especially that bad ass intro on Sorrow) over Roger's variation du jour on "The whole human race is frelled up".

[If I'm not mistaken, the only songs White played bass on were Sheep and maybe Pigs (3 Different Ones). I'm not sure about Pigs On The Wing Part Two, where the whole band comes in after the verse and there's a guitar solo, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure if that's Gilmour or White playing that particular solo.
    You're right about White playing bass on just two songs - but they total nearly half an hour, in the first hour of the show, that's what I meant when I wrote "quite a bit of bass", i.e. half of the first set. But indeed he didn't play any in the second (i.e. WYWH) set. The "Pigs on the Wing" solo was likely White - he recorded one for the cartridge edition of "Animals" and that was his audition piece, I believe.

I haven't closely studied live recordings from that era to ascertain exactly when Parry might have played. I've only ever read vague references, and like you, can only think of a few specific moments when two keyboard players are clearly involved.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

I prefer the 1967-79 work to anything under the Floyd name made in the 80s/90s- it's not even close. But after the split, I tend to prefer Gilmour-Floyd to Waters' solo work. Amused To Death is easily the best of that bunch, but I don't personally share his view that it compares to the classic 70s Floyd albums.

These guys were just musically (if not personally, by the end) better together than apart, IMHO.
    Well I'd agree that for my tastes the Gilmour Floyd LP's were better, far better than Rogers solo work in the studio... with the exception of Roger's latest "Is this The Life We Really Want". I thought that was just a brilliant LP. Now live Roger is just superb. The last two tours in particular were outstanding in every detail. In fact I thought it would be impossible to top his "Wall" shows but he did in my opinion with "Us and Them"... I wonder what he had in store for us on the recent cancelled tour? I should add the Gilmour Floyd was outstanding live as well.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    You're right about White playing bass on just two songs - but they total nearly half an hour, in the first hour of the show, that's what I meant when I wrote "quite a bit of bass", i.e. half of the first set. But indeed he didn't play any in the second (i.e. WYWH) set. The "Pigs on the Wing" solo was likely White - he recorded one for the cartridge edition of "Animals" and that was his audition piece, I believe.
    I think Snowy said that he went down to Britannia Row, where the band was still working on Animals, because Gilmour had called him up to offer him the gig. I kinda have the impression from the way Snowy told it in one of the books that Gilmour more or less offered him the gig without even an audition or anything, I guess Snowy expected there to be some kind of jam, at the very least, and Dave basically said "If you couldn't play you wouldn't be here, would you?". And then Roger said, "Well, since you're here, let's record something", and that's when they did that 8-track version of Pigs On The Wing.

Incidentally, I've seen two different accounts (once in the Pink Floyd book I just quoted, and again in the tour program for the Roger Waters show I saw in 2006, when they played the whole of DSOTM), where Snowy claimed he "must have been the only person in England who never heard Dark Side Of The Moon".

I didnt get the video yet but a friend gifted me the audio version for my birthday a couple weeks, and I can say at least it sounds really good!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I saw Roger Waters’ Radio KAOS show and Pink Floyd’s AMLOR tour about two months apart in 1987 at the Omni in Atlanta. They were both FANTASTIC shows that I still remember vividly. The music and narrative of KAOS worked much, much better in the context of the live show than they do on the CD. Think of it as a cross between Tommy and War Games with Matthew Broderick. Of course Waters By himself only did a single half-house show while Floyd sold out three nights.

I wish the full Atlanta show had been part of The Later Years even though the performances aren’t that different from DSOT just because I was there. Oh, and there was definitely a bed at that show.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I saw Roger Waters’ Radio KAOS show and Pink Floyd’s AMLOR tour about two months apart in 1987 at the Omni in Atlanta. They were both FANTASTIC shows that I still remember vividly. The music and narrative of KAOS worked much, much better in the context of the live show than they do on the CD. Think of it as a cross between Tommy and War Games with Matthew Broderick. Of course Waters By himself only did a single half-house show while Floyd sold out three nights.
    I remember at least two KAOS videoclips - I guess seen on MTV - which explained or enhanced a bit the concept of the album.

I've always thought that Waters' solo albums once released on digital discs should've included the visual material (P&C, KAOS for sure), but this could be valid for The Wall (the film) and TFC's videoclips as well.

Wild fortunes for attendances: in 83, Waters sold out Toronto's MLG twice within a few months, and Gilmour had a hard time selling out Massey Hall once. I don't even think Waters toured Canada for KAOS. Most likely, unless I totally missed it, I would've gone to the concert.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Now live Roger is just superb. The last two tours in particular were outstanding in every detail. In fact I thought it would be impossible to top his "Wall" shows but he did in my opinion with "Us and Them"... I wonder what he had in store for us on the recent cancelled tour? I should add the Gilmour Floyd was outstanding live as well.
    I thought so as well having seen Roger Waters' The Wall twice (2010 & 2012) and outdid himself with Us + Them that went far beyond my expectations (also seen twice at Desert Trip 2016 and Quebec 2017).
    Actually my first time seeing Waters live was back in 1984 for the Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking with Eric Clapton and Snowy White; that show was a huge spectacle in the Roger Waters tradition. I did not see any Radio Kaos shows but what I have read and seen, that show was a scale down by his standards. In addition, I did see the "In the Flesh" (2000) and Dark Side of the Moon (2007-08) tours but IMHO did not reach his creative pinnacle.

And I am also very curious to see what he has in store with the postponed (not cancelled) "This is not a drill" Tour for which I have "frozen" tickets. And when it happens someday, will feature a "in the round" stage.
    To be continued...

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Actually my first time seeing Waters live was back in 1984 for the Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking with Eric Clapton and Snowy White;
    You mean Eric Clapton and Tim Renwick (Tim, incidentally is one of only two musicians to tour with both Waters as a solo artist and the post-Waters Floyd, the other being Jon Carin...Tim was also apparently in the same scout troop, as a boy, as Syd Barrett!). Snowy didn't tour with Waters until 99 (though he was part of the Berlin performance of The Wall and the Walden Woods benefit in 90 or 91 or whenever it was).
    In addition, I did see the "In the Flesh" (2000) and Dark Side of the Moon (2007-08) tours but IMHO did not reach his creative pinnacle.
    I saw the In The Flesh show in 99, and I remember thinking the visuals were a bit lacking, but maybe he didn't have the budget to something "spectacular". I remember there being films in 2007, and also a pig that glided over the glided over the audience during one song, with various things written on it (like "Don't be a lamb led to slaughter" etc).
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 01-05-2021 at 11:14 AM.