Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The last thing you watched was.....

The last thing you watched was.....

A new thread idea - may it have a decent run. The last concert you watched, be it streamed, watched on cable, DVD, or god forbid, VHS.

Right now I'm watching on the AXS channel Cream: Live at the Royal Albert Hall. This show didn't quite have the fire I wanted. A little too reserved on the part of all three members and I wish Clapton wasn't playing a Strat. Still, a strong collection of material.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^I remember those being tight performances, but I eventually realised what was so different about the sound compared to the 60s- Clapton's choice of guitar, as you say. It definitely made a big difference, and not really in a good way. They were getting on quite well during that period but the old Bruce/Baker friction started again when they did the MSG shows.

I was watching their Farewell Concert last week. And also Black Sabbath- Never Say Die video at the Hammersmith Odeon, which was better than I remembered.

I bought a ticket for a streaming concert by Lucinda Williams last week. She did a little over an hour of Dylan covers, recorded in studio with a complete band. Really enjoyable and included some interludes where she spoke about her affection for and interactions with Dylan. Worth the money for sure.
    I have also checked out a couple of streaming concerts by Robyn Hitchcock and Emma Swift which are done from their home and include guest appearances by their cats. I really love Robyn's British sense of humor (humour?)

Cream reunion

I have been pulling out a lot of old DVD's to watch while riding my stationary bike lately. Today I watch the "Stars And Gardens" DVD from Echolyn. Great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    A new thread idea - may it have a decent run. The last concert you watched, be it streamed, watched on cable, DVD, or god forbid, VHS.

Right now I'm watching on the AXS channel Cream: Live at the Royal Albert Hall. This show didn't quite have the fire I wanted. A little too reserved on the part of all three members and I wish Clapton wasn't playing a Strat. Still, a strong collection of material.
    Pretty much agree with your assessment. It was good, but kind of laid back from what I was expecting.

Steve Hackett's Spectral Mornings-DVD was the last one I saw. It's that German tv-show from 1978.

And before that Kate Bush' VHS Live At Hammersmith Odeon.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ABB - Live At Great Woods. I never saw Dicky live (but saw the ABB 4 times) so this was a treat.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 11-28-2020 at 01:07 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Hiromi's Sonicbloom Live In Concert

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    ABB - Live At Great Woods. I never saw Dicky live (but saw the ABB 4 times) so this was a treat.
    I got that on VHS way back in 1992 or whenever it was it first came out, and watched it many times back then. When it first came out on DVD, they put out this heavily edited version. Finally, a few years ago, they finally put out the VHS version on DVD, and I bought that, but I don't think I ever actually watched it.

BTW, I saw the Allmans 6 times, I believe, with Dickey, and I saw him with Great Southern in about 2003 or so.

Last concert I watched..., gee, I think it's been awhile since I've watched any concerts on video. Actually, I think the last one I watched was Nick Mason's A Saucerful Of Secrets, when it played in movie theaters back in...when was it? April? It was the last "evening out" I had before the lockdown began.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

BTW, I saw the Allmans 6 times, I believe, with Dickey, and I saw him with Great Southern in about 2003 or so.
    How was the show with Dickey? Compared to later day ABB?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Nektar Live at Widley2019
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Orchestra Wives, 1942. Starring Harry Morgan, Cesar Romero, Glenn Miller Orchestra, Jackie Gleason as the bass player. And some classy 40s chicks!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    How was the show with Dickey? Compared to later day ABB?
    Mmm, I thnk they were consistently great every time i saw them. I saw them six times with Dickey, and I think every time was a great show. First was in 93, then again 96, then two nights each in 97 and 98. Maybe I got lucky, I just happened to shows when Dickey on the wagon (or had just barely fallen off the wagon), but I gather there were a lot of problems when he was drinking.

But I think every show I saw was awesome. I think maybe the one exception was the show I saw in about 2003 or 2004. I'm not sure if it was just that every show I had seen besides that had been so amazing, that maybe that particular show was "good", i.e. "the night of our lives" for most bands, but a couple notches below what I saw the Allmans do on other occasions.

One thing that was interesting was, as i said, I saw two pairs of shows each in 97 and 98, because they came and did two nights back to back here those years. Each time, they changed the maybe 20-30% of the show. I couldn't tell you off hand without looking at the setlists, but I do know they swapped a few songs around. I know they did High Falls in one show of each pair, and there were a few other songs that got swapped out. If I remember correctly, they did Blue Sky (with the so called Franklin's Tower Jam intro) each of the four nights.

Now, in 2001, I went to Chicago and saw them do the same thing at the Chicago Theater, two nights, back to back. This was after Dickey had been benched, and Warren had come back (when i saw them in 2000, they had Derek Trucks and Jimmy Herring, I think, but they got Warren back for 2001 onwards). And that time, I think they repeated like 2 songs between the two nights. And my recollection was that the second night included a 20 minute or so Whipping Post that, in my mind, on the night, rivalled the Fillmore East version. I still haven't heard a tape of it, so I don't know if I'd say the same thing listening to it now.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I saw that Yessongs was available to stream, so I played it.
    I gave up after the first song. The picture was good, but the sound was as though the microphones were outside the hall, under pillows.

One of my fave new-ish bands.

The new Delicate Sounds of Thunders DVD - Pink Floyd

Crossroads 2019 on the DVR from PBS - some great performances but the song selection and artist choices were bizarre (I assume that PBS chose which segments to air). And Clapton didn't show any fire in his playing until an extended version of "Badge", which closed the show. I know that the tempos that the current iteration of Yes uses have been discussed, but you should have seen the lazy pace that Clapton chose to play "Layla" at.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Yeah, that was on here a few weeks back too but I didn't watch it. Save for the reunions with Cream and Winwood, the 90s is where I get off the bus with Clapton, TBH.

I saw the edited version of Delicate Sound Of Thunder (better than the original, though still not a complete show, alas) on TV and recently, ELP from Brussels in 1971. That's a good film, although the repertoire is still thin so you have some loooong solos.

Oh yes following Delicate Sound..., Live At The Roundhouse by Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets was shown on the same night/channel. I really enjoyed that- more than I expected to. Wasn't crazy about some of the vocals (too attached to Gilmour's vocals, probably) but musically it was great.
    Last edited by JJ88; 12-16-2020 at 10:04 AM.

Justified

The FREE YouTube showing of Nektar's North American Tour in 2020 (selected shows).