Thread: Vikings (series)

Vikings (series)

Just started this and almost finished with season one. I'm in for the duration. Who digs this?

PS...the lead guy always reminds me of Neymar!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Big fan here. I think I still need to watch from Season 5 pt 2 on. Anyone know what season they are up to now?

I am a Vikings fan. The first few seasons, in particular. The more recent stuff is cool, but not as good. The final ten episodes should start airing soon.

If you are into this historical era (despite major artistic liberties being taken), I highly recommend The Last Kingdom on Netflix. Better storytelling overall, although less of a "visual spectacle" than Vikings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post

If you are into this historical era (despite major artistic liberties being taken), I highly recommend The Last Kingdom on Netflix. Better storytelling overall, although less of a "visual spectacle" than Vikings.
    They only did 2 seasons, right?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    They only did 2 seasons, right?
    Nope. The fourth season dropped back in April. It was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Nope. The fourth season dropped back in April. It was excellent.
    Amazon's sleeping on the job.

I've seen every episode, but they've killed off too many good characters for me, after all they ain't Game of Thrones...

Oh, I thought I would watch this series for a long time, but in fact, I watched it in one breath three times faster than I did. Now it's even a little sad that the series ended so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    I've seen every episode, but they've killed off too many good characters for me, after all they ain't Game of Thrones...
    The Vikings series is based d on the Icelandic Sagas. It's likely that some of the main characters are actual historical figures. As such, they are portraying the received stories, with liberties taken, of course. The death of main characters takes place as the record indicates.

And for those that may not know, there will be another Vikings series ("Vinkings: Valhalla") created by the same production company. It begins 100 years after the original series concludes and dramatizes the adventures of the most famous Vikings who ever lived: Leif Erikson, Freydis, Harald Harada and the Norman King William the Conqueror (also a Viking descendant). I anticipate some of the story will included Vikings reaching North America. The series creator, Michael Hirst, seems to specialize in such dramatic adult historical fair. He was the screenwriter and producer for "Elizabeth" and "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" as well as created/produced "The Tudors", "Camelot" and "The Borgias". I thoroughly enjoyed all of these as I am a military history buff. Unfortunately, "Camelot" was cancelled after 1 season. Of all the filmed adaptations I have seen on King Arthur (all I believe), this is the one that is most authentic to the time period an actual Arthur lived (late 5th century CE) dispensing with supernatural fluff and knights in armor (which would not appear for over 500 years in the fashion the film industry usually depicts). All meaty subjects/stories.

The source material for "The Last Kingdom" is the Saxon Chronicles series of books by Bernard Cornwell (he is actually a descendent from this period). The final (13th) book was recently published. With each season taken from 2 of the novels, there could be 6 or 7 seasons total. The 5th season already approved.

And finally, for anyone still with appetite for more of this type of fair ("Vikings"/"Game of Thrones"), I happened on a real jem this year that dwarfs all of these in terms of scope and actual screen time. It is a Turkish made series called "Resurrection: Ertegrul" currently streaming on Netflix. No overdubbing, so subtitles are to be tolerated. Another historical period piece (13th century Turkey overlapping the Crusades/Knights Templars, the Mongols and the very beginnings of what would become the Ottoman Empire) of political intrigue, military forays, inter-familial turmoil with many, many characters and interweaving story lines. Anyone getting though all of it is a true CHAMPION as it comprises 448 45-50 minute episodes (yes, 4-4-8 episodes). And if this is still not enough, a sequel series chronicling Ertegrul’s son who founds the Ottoman Empire is in progress. The 2nd season of “Kuruluş: Osman” is currently being shown (don’t believe in U.S. yet). A 3rd season approved. But with the pandemic may not have started.

Wow cool post and thx for all the info. I'll investigate those recommendations.

Vikings through series 4 was pretty killer so far.

Started my binge of season 6.5 today. One down, at least two more tonight.

I have some catching up to do...I think Ive seen through 5

Just finished the penultimate episode. While the show was not quite as good after the first half of season four through the first half of season six, these last ten episodes have been excellent, so far. Gonna wrap it up in a little bit. Overall, great show.

Excellent ending to the series.

Finally finished it. Pretty much a masterpiece for me. Can't get much better. Looking forward to the new Valhalla series....Skol!!!!!

I only watched the first two seasons but loved it. I won't go into my serious and debilitating Lagertha crush.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I only watched the first two seasons but loved it. I won't go into my serious and debilitating Lagertha crush.
    Keep watching, it just keeps getting better.

Floki is quite the badass in the episodes that I saw. But then there's the wives!

vikings wives.jpg
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Vikings is frustrating. Looks great, compelling characters, decent acting, but oy! -- that dialogue. It makes sense that the same guy who made The Tudors is behind it (that also explains the Jonathan Rhys-Meyers crossover.) Also, the "No scene can last more than 30 seconds" approach to TV production drives me nuts. "The Last Kingdom" does a better job with the same basic idea IMO.

We tried checking out the German production "The Barbarians" but the missus couldn't get into it so we stopped after two episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by zappaeverafter View Post
    And finally, for anyone still with appetite for more of this type of fair ("Vikings"/"Game of Thrones"), I happened on a real jem this year that dwarfs all of these in terms of scope and actual screen time. It is a Turkish made series called "Resurrection: Ertegrul" currently streaming on Netflix.
    I watched an episode of this. It has promise, although it's interesting watching a series where the Christians (the Templars and Crusaders) are the bad guys. What was even more hilarious, though, were the obviously fake comments like "I'm a Christian from Iowa and I loved this show! It's the best TV show ever made."
    Last edited by Paulrus; 08-03-2021 at 03:21 AM.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Floki is maybe the only character that appears through the whole series. ? His journey from deep in the old gods' world, to trying to create a deeply humane commune (?) to being in the New World as "an ant in the forest floor, a leaf shading him from the sun" is my favorite character arc. Mostly it is 'roar slash party betray, repeat...'

david