Thread: Porcupine Tree - The Delerium Years 1991-97 (Limited edition deluxe box set)

Porcupine Tree - The Delerium Years 1991-97 (Limited edition deluxe box set)

I'm not sure if this has already been posted about, but Burning Shed have just started shipping a new Porcupine Tree box set based around the band's albums released on the Delerium label.

It's a variation of the previous vinyl sets, with 13 cds bringing together the core albums remastered, plus bonus material and a beautiful coffee table book.

It's aimed squarely at collectors rather than the casual fan, and it is expensive, but if your curiosity is piqued, then here's an in-depth review of the contents and audio quality, which I've just published:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....-box-set-2020/

Hope you find it interesting.

I have the Steven Wilson remaster of Stars Die, the original anthology from the same years, but this looks like it's grown from two to thirteen discs! Very curious about the extra material.

That looks very impressive. Wish I could afford it.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I preordered from Laser's Edge yesterday.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 11-20-2020 at 09:24 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Hmmm...not sure there will be enough new stuff for me to buy here.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I pre-ordered from Lasers Edge as well last month. Any updates on release/shipping? November 20 has passed...has the release been delayed? Thanks!
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

A nice touch would have been to add in the bonus cd all the original mixes of all the songs where Steven Wilson asked Gavin Harrison to replace the original programmed drums that were on the original edition from the early nineties. Synesthesia, Dislocated Day (plus others that I can't remember the name of) had all the drums replaced in the 2002 reissued versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    A nice touch would have been to add in the bonus cd all the original mixes of all the songs where Steven Wilson asked Gavin Harrison to replace the original programmed drums that were on the original edition from the early nineties. Synesthesia, Dislocated Day (plus others that I can't remember the name of) had all the drums replaced in the 2002 reissued versions.
    Yeah, I definitely recommend the reissue of Up The Downstair with Gavin on drums. I see that The Sky Moves Sideways was also reissued with Gavin drumming on the two songs Chris Maitland didn't play on. I need to track that down!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    I pre-ordered from Lasers Edge as well last month. Any updates on release/shipping? November 20 has passed...has the release been delayed? Thanks!
    In transit to us from Snapper. Will ship upon arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Fantastic!!! Thanks so much for the update!
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

Ken, your original target date was Nov 20. Do you have an idea when to expect the next shipping date?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Ken, your original target date was Nov 20. Do you have an idea when to expect the next shipping date?
    Realistically I expect to ship next Tuesday. Snapper screwed up the shipment and we have the short week. I've having some minor surgery on Monday and we'll shut down for the day so it looks like Tuesday. Believe me I wish it was sooner.

Realistically I expect to ship next Tuesday. Snapper screwed up the shipment and we have the short week. I've having some minor surgery on Monday and we'll shut down for the day so it looks like Tuesday. Believe me I wish it was sooner.
    Thanks, Ken. Next Tuesday sounds great.

Best of luck Ken on your surgery !

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    That would have been a bit tricky, as the bonus disc runs for about an hour, so they might not have been able to squeeze those extra tracks on. Nice idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    That would have been a bit tricky, as the bonus disc runs for about an hour, so they might not have been able to squeeze those extra tracks on. Nice idea though.
    Yes, you're right, I just checked... It would have been all the songs with drums from Up the downstair plus Dislocated day and Moon touches your shoulder from The Sky Moves Sideways.

I also found Steven original liner notes about it: "Most importantly Gavin Harrison recorded new drum parts for the album. His brief was to remain faithful to the original album as much as possible - in other words, not to substantially change the content of any of the electronic parts and to generally keep it simple"

I've been working my way through the albums, chronologically, via my mp3 player and headphones. (Some of the discs were a bit troublesome, taking a lot longer to rip than usual, so I thought I'd check those results first before moving onto spinning the the discs on the hi-fi.)

Even on 320kbp, these versions sound terrific. Now I'm not sure if it's the remastering, or just not having played them for a while, but I hear way more detail than before, and the bass/drums have more power and presence. Chris Maitland was a really good fit for the band during this period, and I've always liked his snare sound, but when you move into the more improvised stuff he really shines as a player.

The music overall is quite a change from PT's later albums (and SW's solo stuff) which is more meticulously arranged, and I'm really enjoying the improvised vibe on these early albums. I had a similar epiphany when Pink Floyd released all that live stuff on the Early Years sets. I guess my tastes are shifting a bit, and I've been listening to a lot of live Hendrix - another great improviser.

This is the first time I've heard the 40 minute version of Moonloop, and it just whizzed by. And I feel I'm hearing Metanoia with a different attitude as well.

The spin-off releases such as Metanoia and Staircase Infinities are mastered a bit louder than the main albums, but never to the point of distortion, and have a nice rawness to them.

I'm really glad I threw caution to the wind and bought this set - it just keeps on giving more back.

Except from The Sound Of No One Listening and Live In Rome, this is the best Porcupine Tree money can buy.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS