Thread: Tony Hooper - Strawbs. RIP.

Tony Hooper - Strawbs. RIP.

Tony Hooper's death was reported today on Rick Wakeman's twitter account. Tony was co founding member of the Strawbs with Dave Cousins and Ron Chesterman and was featured on following albums: Strawbs, Dragonfly, Just A Collection and Antiques and Curios, From The Witchwood and Grave New World.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

oh no, what a shame. Tony was so integral to those early Strawbs albums.
    Grave New World was my gateway to Strawbs music and I've been a fan ever since.

Another great has pass on to the Great Gig in the Sky.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

I have all of those titles and more (several after-the-fact releases). Great stuff, will be playing some tonight. R.I.P. Tony.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    That's a shame. Love the Strawbs. RIP.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that. Been a Strawbs fan a log time. Rest in peace, Tony.

Dave Cousins wrote:

I am deeply saddened at the passing of Tony Hooper.

Without Tony there would have been no Strawberry Hill Boys.

No Strawbs!

For me, Tony’s own words sum it up best....

“Ah me, things aren’t what they used to be, Ah my, in days gone by.”

Rest in peace.

Dick Greener writes:

I am extremely sad to have to pass on news of the passing of the co-founder of the Strawbs, Tony Hooper, who died on 18 Nov 2020. He had had an operation for oral cancer a few months ago, and returned home, but was later admitted to a hospice and I heard this morning that he died yesterday

To celebrate his life, I'll shortly be adding some pictures to Strawbsweb, which he let me have a long time ago, but which have never made it online before now, whilst listening to some of the Strawbs tracks which underline his undoubtedly key contribution to the Strawbs.

There's a kind tribute from Rick Wakeman on his website and a Strawbsweb interview with Tony, conducted by Lindsay Sorrell back in 2007.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

So sorry to hear this. Iíve been a Strawbs fan since the early 70ís. Have to play some of those early albums tomorrow. RIP Tony

Rest In Peace sir.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Tony Hooper's death was reported today on Rick Wakeman's twitter account. Tony was co founding member of the Strawbs with Dave Cousins and Ron Chesterman and was featured on following albums: Strawbs, Dragonfly, Just A Collection and Antiques and Curios, From The Witchwood and Grave New World.
    Sad news. Years ago he found out from a mutual friend that I wanted a copy of Ringing Down the Years, so he sold me one for a tenner (10 GBP, a very reasonable price for an imported CD) and signed it for me! This must have been sometime in the mid to late 1990s. He also found out that I was dabbling at writing lyrics and was interested in seeing some, but I never got round to sending any.

He was also features on Don't Say Goodbye and Ringing Down the Years from the 1980s/1990s lineup.

Excellent musician from my favorite band. Sad news indeed.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    Sad news. Years ago he found out from a mutual friend that I wanted a copy of Ringing Down the Years, so he sold me one for a tenner (10 GBP, a very reasonable price for an imported CD) and signed it for me! This must have been sometime in the mid to late 1990s. He also found out that I was dabbling at writing lyrics and was interested in seeing some, but I never got round to sending any.

He was also features on Don't Say Goodbye and Ringing Down the Years from the 1980s/1990s lineup.
    Yes, he was a very nice guy. A shame that so many of the 'good ones' have been passing away lately. RIP Tony.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Yes, he was a very nice guy. A shame that so many of the 'good ones' have been passing away lately. RIP Tony.
    It leaves one wondering if Keith Richards knows something the rest of us don't.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

I always loved this early Strawbs song that Tony wrote and sang lead on:

Rest in Peace Tony

Disc one of Halcyon Days on in honor of Mr Hooper.

Very sad news. Enjoyed his voice and musicianship in the early Strawbs. I will miss him. Rest in peace Tony and thank you.