Thread: A couple of personal musical releases (guest Stick on album & new solo guitar video)

A couple of personal musical releases (guest Stick on album & new solo guitar video)

Greetings,

I hope you've all been doing as well as possible given these crazy times. Just wanted to share a brief update on two new musical releases from my side of the world:

1. Stephan Köhr's new (second) Eskalation album, advances!, just came out on Tuesday. I had the privilege of contributing a Stick arrangement/performance to the album's opening track, a beautiful miniature duet with Stephan's bassoon (with some synth pads added as well). Like Stephan's first Eskalation album, different music for bassoon, wind synthesizer and sampled percussion, this new release is a very interesting mix of modern classical, avant garde, and dissonant New Age (perhaps closest to Kit Watkins in feel in this regard). For those who may be interested in checking out the new album, here's the direct Bandcamp link:

https://eskalation.bandcamp.com/album/advances

Additionally, here's a YouTube video (with a rough mix of the opening track) I posted, of my Stick recording from the studio:

2. I also recorded my first solo acoustic guitar piece last week and just posted a video of this recording on Tuesday as well:

Please note that this piece is slated for inclusion in my upcoming debut solo album that I hope will be ready sometime next year.

A big thank-you to those who check out this new music. In the interim, sending my best wishes for health, safety, and happiness to you all.

Cheers,

Alan

Extremely beautiful music! Especially the piece with the acoustic guitar immerses me in a more beautiful and meaningful world, different from the one we live in.
    Also a very interesting setup of microphone placement - very warm and nice acoustic guitar sound! If it's not a secret, would you share something about the microphone setup!

With respect,

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsoncrow View Post
    Extremely beautiful music! Especially the piece with the acoustic guitar immerses me in a more beautiful and meaningful world, different from the one we live in.
    Also a very interesting setup of microphone placement - very warm and nice acoustic guitar sound! If it's not a secret, would you share something about the microphone setup!

With respect,

Daniel
    Thanks so much for your very kind feedback, Daniel! I'm really happy to hear that you enjoyed my acoustic guitar piece in particular and I'm happy to share info about the mic setup. I normally use a pair of Oktava MC-012 (small diaphragm condensers) and place them far enough to the side of the guitar's sound hole to avoid any direct air hitting them--usually pretty close to the edges of the guitar's body and about a foot or so away. On the "Soliloquy" recording, however, I had the idea to try using an Oktava MK-319 (large diaphragm condenser) mic on the body side instead of the second MC-012, thinking that it would provide more depth and warmth to the sound.

In full disclosure, however, I found that the MK-319 ended up sounding a bit too boomy in the midrange (at this proximity) and it took a bit more subtractive EQ to alleviate this problem. Additionally, it seemed like phasing issues were a lot more prevalent with this setup and that seemed to necessitate fully panning the mics in the mix (which I would have otherwise liked to bring in a little more toward center). Next time around I may try going back to the dual MC-012s and add the MK-319 at least a foot further away and see what I can make of that. All this being said, I think I'm pretty happy with the way the guitar sounds on "Soliloquy"--the results sounding pretty faithful to the tone of the factory-second Martin I used for the recording.

All the best and thanks again,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by AdventAlan View Post
    Thanks so much for your very kind feedback, Daniel! I'm really happy to hear that you enjoyed my acoustic guitar piece in particular and I'm happy to share info about the mic setup. I normally use a pair of Oktava MC-012 (small diaphragm condensers) and place them far enough to the side of the guitar's sound hole to avoid any direct air hitting them--usually pretty close to the edges of the guitar's body and about a foot or so away. On the "Soliloquy" recording, however, I had the idea to try using an Oktava MK-319 (large diaphragm condenser) mic on the body side instead of the second MC-012, thinking that it would provide more depth and warmth to the sound.

In full disclosure, however, I found that the MK-319 ended up sounding a bit too boomy in the midrange (at this proximity) and it took a bit more subtractive EQ to alleviate this problem. Additionally, it seemed like phasing issues were a lot more prevalent with this setup and that seemed to necessitate fully panning the mics in the mix (which I would have otherwise liked to bring in a little more toward center). Next time around I may try going back to the dual MC-012s and add the MK-319 at least a foot further away and see what I can make of that. All this being said, I think I'm pretty happy with the way the guitar sounds on "Soliloquy"--the results sounding pretty faithful to the tone of the factory-second Martin I used for the recording.

All the best and thanks again,

Alan
    Thank you very much for sharing your mic setup! I really like the sound of the guitar. And yes, Martin guitars have proven themselves with an expressive, often well-balanced and warm sound.
    And by the way, I've been a fan of Advent since the late 1990s - I think in 1998 or 1999 I first heard your debut album, which was also called Advent.

All the best,

Daniel
    Last edited by Crimsoncrow; 11-21-2020 at 06:06 PM. Reason: missed letter

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Very nice acoustic guitar!!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Thank you very much for sharing you mic setup! I really like the sound of the guitar. And yes, Martin guitars have proven themselves with an expressive, often well-balanced and warm sound.
    And by the way, I've been a fan of Advent since the late 1990s - I think in 1998 or 1999 I first heard your debut album, which was also called Advent.

All the best,

Daniel
    Hi Daniel,

My pleasure regarding the mic setup! If you're interested in how the dual MC-012 setup sounds as well (on the same Martin guitar played by both Greg and myself), "Second Thoughts" was recorded in this fashion:

Again, I think I may try to combine this older approach and add the MK-319 (further away) as a third mic just to see what happens.

Thanks a lot for your very kind words about Advent too. It's great to hear that you've been a fan for so many years.

All the best,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Very nice acoustic guitar!!
    https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...eply&p=1008811

Thanks a lot, Greg!

All the best,

Alan

Nice works Alan. Great sound. Thanks for sharing.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Alan, I love Soliloquy!

One take?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Nice works Alan. Great sound. Thanks for sharing.
    Hey Jimmy,

Thanks a lot!

All the best and hope you guys are doing well,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Alan, I love Soliloquy!

One take?
    Thanks so much, Chris! Really glad to hear that you enjoyed the tune.

I wish I could say it was done in one take.

Best wishes and hope all is good with you these days,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by AdventAlan View Post
    Hi Daniel,

My pleasure regarding the mic setup! If you're interested in how the dual MC-012 setup sounds as well (on the same Martin guitar played by both Greg and myself), "Second Thoughts" was recorded in this fashion:

Again, I think I may try to combine this older approach and add the MK-319 (further away) as a third mic just to see what happens.

Thanks a lot for your very kind words about Advent too. It's great to hear that you've been a fan for so many years.

All the best,

Alan
    This mic setup sounds really great, Alan!

Greetings,

Daniel

This mic setup sounds really great, Alan!

Greetings,

Daniel
    Hi Daniel,

Thanks very much! Again, I may try going back to this setup but also add the MK-319 further away (and fairly center) and see if that adds anything worthwhile too.

All the best and enjoy the rest of your weekend,

Alan

Really nice guitar piece. For those of us who will be interested in your solo album - Is it going to be instrumental, or will songs be in the mix? Also, are you doing all of the instrumentation, or will you have some guests or backing musicians? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Really nice guitar piece. For those of us who will be interested in your solo album - Is it going to be instrumental, or will songs be in the mix? Also, are you doing all of the instrumentation, or will you have some guests or backing musicians? Thanks.
    Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for your words about my acoustic guitar piece. I tend to think instrumentally (and am far from the best singer as well), so I'd say that there's about a 90% chance the entire thing will be instrumental. At this point, my plan is to play all the instruments myself, but I suppose the idea of inviting at least one guest performer isn't completely out of the question. Additionally, please note that the rest of the album will probably consist of pieces written and arranged for multiple instruments (unlike "Soliloquy" as it's a true solo-performer piece).

Best wishes and thanks again for your interest,

Alan

Beautiful work, Alan
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Soliloquy is a winner! Wow! Beautiful! I look forward to your solo album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for your kind feedback, Kim and Dan! Best wishes to all for a safe, happy, and healthy 2021! -Alan

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Alan, please keep us updated when the CD is released! All the best in 2021!!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Alan, please keep us updated when the CD is released! All the best in 2021!!
    Thanks very much, Greg! Will do. All the best for a great 2021 too! -Alan