Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New release by Ritual (Sweden)

New release by Ritual (Sweden)

13 years after the release of the Hemulic voluntary band there is finally some new work of these guys:

https://www.ritual.se/ritual.se/Home.html

It should be available already on streaming platforms. CD is out in two weeks. I haven't heared it yet but I am curious. I liked their previous albums.

Great news!
    <sig out of order>

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    I've always had a soft spot for Ritual, and am excited about a new release. Below is a link to their fb page, where there's brief 30 second clips from three of the tracks. Sounds pretty good to these ears!

https://www.facebook.com/ritual.se

IMO, Ritual are one of the most underrated and least appreciated prog bands. But they really scratch an itch for me that nobody else does. I'd assumed they'd thrown in the towel, but am thrilled to be proven wrong (even it is just an EP)!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    I read about this an hour ago and preordered the CD EP. It's pretty cheap if you can find it. The track "The Mice" sounds promising.
    Great band and I've seen them live twice. Great storytellers as well. For some reason Patrik sounds way better on the Ritual albums than on the Kaipa albums.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Wow, this was unexpected! I saw them at RosFest and that was the last I heard from them until now. Looks like it's available on Qobuz in hires. Nice!

The title seems to suggest it is a taster for a bigger project to come.
    This band doesn't communicate much but my understanding from a few years ago was that they were working on a double album.

The Mice sounds great. I really hear a Queen influence. And that's not a bad thing. Regardless I look forward to hearing more.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wow, I'd just recently thought about Ritual a couple of times and wondered what happened to them! I remembered they seemed to be veering away from prog (and then veered back a bit), so I assumed they'd either broken up or still existed as a non-prog entity(ies).

I can't even remember what they sounded like on their earlier work! I'm probably on board for this new one as well. I guess all it took was world-wide chaos to bring them out of the woodwork.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    The title seems to suggest it is a taster for a bigger project to come.
    This band doesn't communicate much but my understanding from a few years ago was that they were working on a double album.
    I had not heard that about a possible double album, but then I wasn't really following these guys at all since Hemulic came out. I almost bought the CD last night, but with shipping it was going to be about $25 for an EP. If I knew for certain that these four songs were going to be included as part of a double album later on I might just opt for a download.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    The Mice sounds great. I really hear a Queen influence.
    Yeah, they're kind of like if Queen were a prog band. The band oozes talent, and has great sonic instincts. Plus they're not afraid of a hook.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I had not heard that about a possible double album, but then I wasn't really following these guys at all since Hemulic came out. I almost bought the CD last night, but with shipping it was going to be about $25 for an EP. If I knew for certain that these four songs were going to be included as part of a double album later on I might just opt for a download.
    I just downloaded it for 1,5 euro from itunes.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I just downloaded it for 1,5 euro from itunes.
    Excellent. I might go that route.
    <sig out of order>

If this is just a teaser for the things to come then....... I am in!!!

This is great news. I loved their first album, which is still my favorite one by them. One of the best from the 90s IMO.

Bought my CD copy for only €7,99, postage included @ jpc.de . The link was given at the Ritual website, so I think I can trust them . That's a bargain, even for a CD EP!
    HuGo

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    This is great news. I loved their first album, which is still my favorite one by them. One of the best from the 90s IMO.
    And that was "only" 25 years ago!
    Just played it today. Now I'm into Think like a Mountain. Working my way through their catalog.
    HuGo

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wow, I'd just recently thought about Ritual a couple of times and wondered what happened to them! I remembered they seemed to be veering away from prog (and then veered back a bit), so I assumed they'd either broken up or still existed as a non-prog entity(ies)
    During this time they actually were playing (Prog)festivals a lot.
    HuGo

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    And that was "only" 25 years ago!
    Just played it today. Now I'm into Think like a Mountain. Working my way through their catalog.
    It's crazy that it's 25 years old now... "Solitary Man" is still one of my favorite songs by anyone.

I didn't care much for Superb Birth, but Think Like a Mountain was pretty good. I enjoyed Hemulic Voluntary Band a lot too.

During this time they actually were playing (Prog)festivals a lot.
    As you can see over here: https://www.iopages.nl/editie/id/3/io-pages-3
    they played at Xymphonia's indoor festival in 1996. One of the highlights (plus the first Flower Kings-concert in The Netherlands!).

I meant after The Hemulic album. They played a lot of Scandinavian festivals.
    I think I read about Xymphonia in the second iO Pages? Wasn't that with the Polish band Collage?

Anyway, according the things I read about this EP, there will be two (2!) albums in the near future. Featuring a concept/ story penned by Patrik. The first three tracks of the EP are from the first album and the last track will be on the second album. The fact we had to wait so long, was because the story had to be finished before they could write and record the music.
    Those Swedes take their time

Edit: Haha, sorry Chris. iO Pages 3. Ik klikte niet op je link! En inderdaad mèt Collage
    HuGo

Brilliant news and totally unexpected. Lucky enough to see them live twice and they are an excellent live band. Really interesting to watch. Superb Birth went a bit too Led Zep for me but still love their debut album and 'Think Like A Mountain".

Last weekend I played their live album. It's great fun to hear recordings from a concert you actually attended!
    HuGo

Edit: Haha, sorry Chris. iO Pages 3. Ik klikte niet op je link! En inderdaad mèt Collage
    I'm not Chris, but you're close

Wow!!! Transatlantic drops the first single from their new album last week and now this!!!

I love the debut and the last one (The Hemulic Voluntary Band) was genius. The two in the middle were a little meh but whatever.

Super excited. I love Patrik's voice so much. Kaipa and Ritual are two of my favorite bands as a result.
    The Prog Corner