Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trees (50th Anniversary Edition)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Trees (50th Anniversary Edition)

I just found this new release on Bandcamp! I ordered the CD hardback version. Looks like it's pretty sweet.

There's also a feature article on the BC site about this here:

https://daily.bandcamp.com/features/...folk-interview

^ I'll take my reprint vinyl edition of On the Shore any day. One of the best album covers Hipgnosis ever produced, and the music itself is glorious. Celia Humphris' doubled harmonies in "Fool" simply have to be heard to be believed - pure magic.

Debut is great too.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Scrots, I don't know if you clicked on this release to learn more, but this is a 4-CD or LP set that includes the band's two albums, and also 2CDs of BBC sessions, demos, etc. I get that your LP is all you need, just mentioning that. I have On the Shore on CD, but this set looks nice with those extra cds and the hardback book.

I always want and need to learn more, much more.

I opened this thread to mention that colossal greatness of the Hipgnosis cover for On the Shore, though. And then, after having done that, I was finally ready to learn some more!
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Mine arrived yesterday. Haven't spun any of it yet, but the book looks quite informative.

Great band, but I've got everything I need (including the bad-sounding live album)

BBC sessions would be nice, but not enough to warrant or justify the acquisition of the boxset.

The remasters and original CD release had decent booklets talking of the band's history too.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I think it's great that Trees continues to attract attention. I was drawn to them based on the cover art of On the Shore. So I bought the 2 cd deluxe ed. when that came out and got hooked. Got Delawney as well but that's not quite as strong. There was an unreleased third album floating around the net that is really good too. I assume that one will be on here and might make this purchase worthwhile. I did not know they had a live CD out.

Thanks for the tip.....just ordered! Never heard of them. Merry Christmas to ME!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I just found this new release on Bandcamp! I ordered the CD hardback version. Looks like it's pretty sweet.

There's also a feature article on the BC site about this here:

https://daily.bandcamp.com/features/...folk-interview

Thanks for the H.U.!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Thanks for the tip.....just ordered! Never heard of them. Merry Christmas to ME!
    You should read the New Releases thread. I posted about this release there when it was announced.

Oh, and there is no live CD. It's an Italian bootleg LP that came out in 1989, iirc.

I always thought the debut is better, and after listening to both of the records 3-4 times today I need to confirm this. Less refined perhaps, and more attached at places to the Fairport Convention wagon, but, in terms of the energy conveyed, soars higher in my opinion - and to more adventurous heights. Both are great though.

Excellent bass playing too.

I have the last reissues which sounded fine as far as I recall. They were cheap, but even those felt padded out. I admit I don't really get the whole remix thing, TBH.

Are they remixes on this new set? If so, I didn’t realize it.

I admit this set looks best for those who don’t already own their albums. I do already have a CD of the first, but it’s from at least 10 years ago, and not fondle-worthy.

Looks mighty good. I've only heard The Garden of Jane Delawney album. My daughter lives in London. I think I now know what I'll be asking her for Christmas.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Oh, and there is no live CD. It's an Italian bootleg LP that came out in 1989, iirc.
    Yes, with awful sound unfortunately. I think that the same label released a Forest live as well, around the same year.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I think that the same label released a Forest live as well, around the same year.
    Yes, they did.

Yes, they did.
    That was the Habla Label, aka the 'Hablabel'. I remember buying their 1989 Forest live bootleg album, which - IIRC - was originally recorded as a radio broadcast and consequently had a bit better sound than what I've heard from the Trees one. Both are certainly for completists, as there are a couple of quite good tunes which didn't appear on any of the two official studio releases by either band.

The Garden of Jane Delawney definitely has more of Trees' psychedelic vibe than the followup, including those syruppy guitar-solos with saggy delay. And "Snail's Lament" is a marvellously serene closing track which ends the whole record on a perfect note. This stuff is so much of and for its own time that you could never really hope to replicate it fully, although artists like Fern Knight and Espers made a helluva nice try in the 2000s.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 11-18-2020 at 04:04 AM.

Yup, that's what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I always thought the debut is better, and after listening to both of the records 3-4 times today I need to confirm this. Less refined perhaps, and more attached at places to the Fairport Convention wagon, but, in terms of the energy conveyed, soars higher in my opinion - and to more adventurous heights. Both are great though.

Excellent bass playing too.
    They're both equal, IMHO. Wonn't choose a fave over the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    That was the Habla Label, aka the 'Hablabel'. I remember buying their 1989 Forest live bootleg album, which - IIRC - was originally recorded as a radio broadcast and consequently had a bit better sound than what I've heard from the Trees one. Both are certainly for completists, as there are a couple of quite good tunes which didn't appear on any of the two official studio releases by either band.
    That's why I indulged

The Garden of Jane Delawney definitely has more of Trees' psychedelic vibe than the followup, including those syruppy guitar-solos with saggy delay. And "Snail's Lament" is a marvellously serene closing track which ends the whole record on a perfect note. This stuff is so much of and for its own time that you could never really hope to replicate it fully, although artists like Fern Knight and Espers made a helluva nice try in the 2000s.
    For me, "syrupy" is not a positive word, unless talking of sappy love songs, but I think I see were you're getting at.

Yup, Espers was fantastic... the best of that Wyrd folk wave (with PG 6), IMHO.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^ But 'Syruppy' has two 'Ps' in it and is an entirely other word with a different meaning altogether It's not about the sweetness but the clay-like thickness of obstruction in matter.

Highly positive word.

Just as Trumpp means honesty and integrity
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

The Garden of Jane Delawney definitely has more of Trees' psychedelic vibe than the followup, including those syruppy guitar-solos with saggy delay. And "Snail's Lament" is a marvellously serene closing track which ends the whole record on a perfect note.
    Exactly monsieur Richard! I am a psychedelic boy, and therefore I will vote for the debut - although with extreme difficulty.

Great band - marvelous music.

EDIT: After the exquisite Geordie, On the Shore seems to lose a bit of steam in my opinion.
    Last edited by Zappathustra; 11-18-2020 at 06:25 AM.

^ Well, I may have been a bit bewitched by the sheer grace of that album cover - although truth be told the Delawney cover is no slouch either.

One thing I know I can say is that On the Shore has one darn long running-time. Perhaps it's even a song or two -too- long.

I always want and need to learn more, much more. [...] finally ready to learn some more!
    You f'n Oslo loon, I'm here to make you learn who'll take over the role of James Bond after ol' Craig is gone: https://www.facebook.com/roger.more.3158652

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Are they remixes on this new set? If so, I didn’t realize it.
    They were already on the last remasters. Most of the 2nd disc of On The Shore was remixed.

My feeling is that both of these albums are worth owning, but in the canon of folk/acid-folk obscurities, I far prefer Mellow Candle and Comus. There's no doubt Trees have the spectre of Fairport Convention hanging over them, IMHO. As such I think Trees are at their best when they are more acid (as in, extended guitar workouts!) and less folk.

GoJD is excellent, but is exceeded by some margin by On The Shore. Much better song selection on the 2nd, with a good number of bonafide classics. Imo, of course.