Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The History Of Yacht Rock

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I was listening to the local eclectic NPR station Dj and she said it’s time to put some funk on the yacht. She plays this:
    If you're going to put a Kool & The Gang song in the YR category, it should be "Summer Madness". Very good instrumental piece with lots of keyboards and quite smooth going down. Completely out of step from their normal stuff and very Yachta, Yachta, Yachta.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I tend to think of YR as strictly Unitedstatian, but I'd have a hard time not including in America (an English Trio)
    No reason to disqualify America; although the band formed in England the members were all Americans (Air Force brats) and they relocated to California after recording their first album.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Little River Band has their Yacht moments and they are from Australia, so....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    No reason to disqualify America; although the band formed in England the members were all Americans (Air Force brats) and they relocated to California after recording their first album.
    Not to mention America tours with Christopher Cross

Banned
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Just checked... I'll be damned (one of them was born in the UK, though). My bad and I stand corrected

It also explains a few thing about their sound (their debut album is a classic for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Not to mention America tours with Christopher Cross
    Cruise Ship Rock!! (Love Boat size too)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Yup, I suppose it wasn't that little of a river so it could acccomodate yachts.

All I seem to remember nowadays is mostly Lonesome Loser, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Reminiscing is the Yacht biggie for them.

I would argue that this is yacht rock

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^ Say what?

By virtue of the subject matter, yes.

By virtue of the subject matter, yes.
    It's nowhere near as light and slick as most of what gets called that. Would you include "Wooden Ships" then? Big Yacht Rock?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It's nowhere near as light and slick as most of what gets called that. Would you include "Wooden Ships" then? Big Yacht Rock?
    I concur; it is quite a stretch to now include CS&N and/or CSN&Y in the Yacht Rock category. They are described as a "Folk Rock Supergroup" by most sources and secondarily as "Country Rock".

Can you imagine a category so wide and diverse that it includes Al Stewart, Steely Dan (some have suggested), CS&N and the Beach Boys? Though there are differing opinions on these, the category appears to be expanding beyond its originally intended scope.

Where does this earworm-y number from Hiroaki Igarashi fall on the yacht scale?

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I remember a hit by a band from Holland called "Captain of Her Heart" that had a Yachtish feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I remember a hit by a band from Holland called "Captain of Her Heart" that had a Yachtish feel about it.
    You mean this?

They actually were from Switzerland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Captain_of_Her_Heart

i always like LRB. their music was diverse. they were rich with different song writers, singers. never a bad song. although their popularity faded, they consistently wrote good songs from '75-'90.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    I concur; it is quite a stretch to now include CS&N and/or CSN&Y in the Yacht Rock category. They are described as a "Folk Rock Supergroup" by most sources and secondarily as "Country Rock".

Can you imagine a category so wide and diverse that it includes Al Stewart, Steely Dan (some have suggested), CS&N and the Beach Boys? Though there are differing opinions on these, the category appears to be expanding beyond its originally intended scope.
    This yacht rock keeps expanding the parameters to accept more songs. In a couple of years, the way this ‘genre’ keeps getting redefined, it will include so many more songs as is evident with its constant revision to date.

^ Eventually, the Prog-Rock Borg will meet the Yacht Rock Borg in a titanic clash to see which can assimilate the other. With any luck, I'll be dead when it happens.

Banned
    ^ Eventually, the Prog-Rock Borg will meet the Yacht Rock Borg in a titanic clash to see which can assimilate the other. With any luck, I'll be dead when it happens.

Yes, and may the best Borg win!!! (Although I think it would actually be the Soft Rock vs. Yacht Rock Borgs in a final duel to the death)

Somehow I think this one doesn not fit here:

So, "Theme From Gilligan's Island." Yacht Rock, yes or no?

Banned
    Clearly each Prog Borg member has an order of magnitude processing cells than the Yacht Borg, but the interface network for the Prog Borg is very weak. It’s like 2G compared to Yacht’s 5G. Therefore, Prog will not be able to interface well to Yacht, and vice versa. After a slight skirmish, they will remain disconnected Additionally the Prog Borg members don’t interface well with themselves and have an issue with being a coherent Borg. The Yacht Borg is tight

Banned
    So, "Theme From Gilligan's Island." Yacht Rock, yes or no?
    I don't think so; 1964 pre-dates the Yacht Club membership. Also, it was first recorded by a folk rock group, as noted in the quote below. Then "sea shanty/Calypso" took over for the remaining seasons. Note that the pilot theme was composed by John Williams.

From Wiki:

The first-season version was recorded by the folk group The Wellingtons. The second-season version, which incorporated more of a sea shanty sound, was uncredited, but according to Russell Johnson in his book Here on Gilligan's Isle, it was performed by a group called the Eligibles.[17]

The show's original pilot episode featured a Calypso theme song by future film composer John Williams, and different lyrics. The original length of the voyage was "a six-hour ride", not "a three-hour tour".[18] John Williams (or Johnny Williams as he was often listed in the show credits) also started out as the composer of the incidental music for the show (from 1964 to 1965), but was replaced by Gerald Fried for the remaining seasons (1965–1967)

^ John Williams was branching out. And if The Eligibles aren't eligible for Yacht Rock, who is?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I would argue that this is yacht rock

I would argue that their 1977 CSN album ("Just a Song Before I Go") is closer to yacht rock than Daylight Again is.