Page 2 of 147 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

^^^
    I picked up an album by the sax player Zbigniew Namyslowski. It's a great dynamic recording made in '73 that sounds new.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Can someone please post a good Elephant9 cut? This is the band with Reine Fiske, right?

An oldie
    Last edited by Bake 1; 03-10-2013 at 11:49 PM. Reason: typo

cool i'm in for learning listening and jamming. old stuff fo sho new stuff yep im down wid it. seems lots of cool intersting stuff coming out of scandinavia bout now

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Ok I'm in, not wanting to derail the thread straight away but based on rule one are we ok talking Fusion as that tends to be a lot of what I buy these days.
    Sure! Post what you want. I just want to avoid label arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Cecil Taylor was(is) a tough listen for me.The first record i truly dug,after trying and failing to like a few Cecil Taylor records my friend tossed my way many years ago, was Dark To Themselves, a live session on Enja from 1976.This record sounded very together, to me,with a narrative flow that i found(and still find) more welcoming to my ears than quite a few other CT recordings.
    This was the Cecil recording that warmed me to him as well. It's one of the few I have left in my collection as my love affair with free-jazz waned after I got in a little too deep. If you've never heard it, I would jump on "Air" next.

I have enjoyed French flute player Magic Malik's work, especially his Short Cuts cd,from 2011.Here's a track from Short Cuts.
    I'm a big fan of Malik and first heard of him when he appeared on albums from certain Belgian groups like Octurn. My favorites are probably XP2 and Saoule. Here are a few tracks:

That XP21 track is killer!

As a few people like Hugues can attest, I have a large Belgian/French modern jazz selection and it's one of my favorite regions because some artists tend to mix in avant-garde elements with a healthy dose of what's referred to as "M-Base" (Steve Coleman's philosophy). In fact, this Malik album is on the label that Coleman was on at the time (French label 'Label Bleu") and he appears on the album.

I get the feeling that if there were ever a gateway for Ian (Nogbad) could lose significant cash, it would be by exploring this scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I just got Michael Formanek's Small Places, from a recommendation from PE or NPR, I'm not sure.
    Excellent. Formanek has been somewhat hit/miss for me, but his last two releases have all been very good to great, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    The only new release I've picked up recently is John Hollenbeck's Songs I Like A Lot, which I like a lot!
    Yeah, I'm a huge Hollenbeck/Claudia fan. Not every album has clicked with me, though I think he may have peaked with "Joys & Desires" with the Jazz BigBand Graz.

Speaking of bass players, have you or Jerol followed Drew Gress' work (bass player in Claudia)? His last few albums are fantastic - 7 Black Butterflies and Irrational Numbers.
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 03-10-2013 at 07:00 PM.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Thanks for the Fight the Big Bull Clip. I'll have to put that on my list. I was a big fan of Bernstein's "Diaspora Suite" back in 2008. I should pull that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    [video=youtube;HPDFhZbutkU]Steve Lehman is my current fave alto player, exemplary of an "anti-swing"/"up-against-the-time" rhythmic conception common to a lot of the younger cats these days:
    Lehman is hit/miss for me, but I agree he has a compelling sound which draws me back in and really thought he shined in the Octet format.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Guitarist Joel Harrison: beyond being a fine guitarist, he's a terrific conceptualist, whether writing arrangements of Paul Motian music for a string quintet with two guitars, violin, viola and cello, or larger, more rhythmically driving ensemble works for sextet and septet. A few favorites? The Music of Paul Motian (Sunnyside, 2011), Harbor (HighNote, 2007) and Search (Sunnyside, 2011).
    Good call on Harrison. I actually became familiar with him from his work on Vinny Golia's 9 Winds label. My favorites are Urban Myths and Harbor.

2. John Abercrombie - Arcade (1979), Abercrombie Quartet (1980) and M (1981), three ECM recordings that, barring a brief, limited edition Japanese CD of Arcade, have yet to see CD issue. Until now.
    This is great news! I am fortunate enough to have the Arcade CD, but these Abercrombie albums were at the top of my reissue wish list for ECM. After these come out, that'll move DeJohnette's Directions and the two Liebman albums to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    This latest album by Jonathan Zwartz is lovely. His previous one, The Sea, got a lot of well-deserved attention, but for me it was a little too Miles Davis influenced to be a total success. The new one, however, has the ghost of the Great Charles Mingus in it's digital grooves - and that's always a good thing:
    Good call. Some of that material has that back alley feel.
    I know the focus of this thread is on jazz in the present era,but i feel strongly that this music should be brought to the attention of jazz lovers(those who aren't already hip to Krzystof Komeda).
    Feel free. I only started the discussion with the vibe talking about today because of the relative lack of attention it receives. I apologize if I gave a different impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I've been trying to find very aggressive (visceral/loud/noisy/fiery) free jazz for quite sometime. The first album I bought in this style was Brotzmann's Machine Gun. It was like being hit with a brick in the face repeatedly. It was magic. Unfortunately, nothing since has quenched my thirst for such things quite like MG. Many things felt so...tame after listening to MG. Either lots of introspective/quiet breaks, or just not as enduringly intense as I hoped for. The closest thing I've found is some live video of Last Exit (which of course features the Brotzs). So, jazz loving populace of PE, I turn a hungry ear to you...what can you recommend for me of this ilk?
    A challenge!

With as much free stuff as I've heard, I tended to gravitate away from the "balls to the wall" intensity of Brotzmann AND with the saxophone itself as a lead intstrument. I found my favorite free-jazz/improv stuff being that with more texture or different tone. Examples might be Parker/Guy/Lytton trio albums, George Graewe trios, Ganelin trio, Satoko Fujii, Scott Fields, etc. I can think of one or two people that post at PE that may be able to help. I could probably think of a few things as well given enough time.

In scrolling through my database, here's a few I've heard (but don't remember enough to be of great help in some cases) but may be some names you want to check out: AALY Trio with Ken Vandermark, Derek Bailey, Mats Gustafsson, etc.

I picked up an album by the sax player Zbigniew Namyslowski. It's a great dynamic recording made in '73 that sounds new.
    Thanks for posting. I'll put this on my radar.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Can someone please post a good Elephant9 cut? This is the band with Reine Fiske, right?
    Fiske is on the most recent album "Atlantis", which will get pretty solid recommendation from fans like myself. It's hard to pick one track as it's fairly dynamic, so I'll just go with a jammy one... (

Also, to be the first to ask for knowledge:

I've been trying to find very aggressive (visceral/loud/noisy/fiery) free jazz for quite sometime. The first album I bought in this style was Brotzmann's Machine Gun. It was like being hit with a brick in the face repeatedly. It was magic. Unfortunately, nothing since has quenched my thirst for such things quite like MG. Many things felt so...tame after listening to MG. Either lots of introspective/quiet breaks, or just not as enduringly intense as I hoped for. The closest thing I've found is some live video of Last Exit (which of course features the Brotzs). So, jazz loving populace of PE, I turn a hungry ear to you...what can you recommend for me of this ilk?

(Note: I've heard the following: Coltrane's Ascension [and other wilder bits], Coleman's Free Jazz, Ayler's Spiritual Unity, Last Exit, various Weasel Walter projects (including The Flying Luttenbachers which do come close as well, even if not really jazz) & The Thing [including some other Mats G. stuff]. However, please feel free to recommend anything even if it seems obvious)

Many thanks.
    You might dig Cecil Taylor's cds 3 Phasis and/or Cecil Taylor Unit, both on New World Records.I owned them both at one time but culled my Cecil Taylor collection a few years ago, and these went to a friend.I recall the music as being mucho high energy,even for Cecil Taylor;a bit too intense for my somewhat changing tastes at that time.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I've been trying to find very aggressive (visceral/loud/noisy/fiery) free jazz for quite sometime.
    Charles Gayle.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

As a few people like Hugues can attest, I have a large Belgian/French modern jazz selection and it's one of my favorite regions because some artists tend to mix in avant-garde elements with a healthy dose of what's referred to as "M-Base" (Steve Coleman's philosophy). In fact, this Malik album is on the label that Coleman was on at the time (French label 'Label Bleu") and he appears on the album.

I get the feeling that if there were ever a gateway for Ian (Nogbad) could lose significant cash, it would be by exploring this scene.
    Oh Man, you can't leave me hanging like that, I need some names & cd's to check out!!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I do have 7 Black Butterflies. I haven't played it in a few years. BTW, Grooves Inc has good prices on some of the Polish jazz releases, but I'm not seeing the Winobranie CD listed anymore. I don't know if it went oop?

I'll hang in case it goes private.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Why would this thread go private?
    Last edited by Reid; 03-10-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Why would this thread go private?
    If you mention Bill Clinton playing sax it could be construed as being political.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

How about Monica playing Bill? Anyway, how about this for the greatest jazz band that never made a record?

For fiery aggressive but also spiritual jazz, check out David Ware. For fiery aggressive punky jazz, check out Acoustic Ladyland. (on a mobile phone just now, so can't post linky things).

I'm off to see a double header with Roller Trio & Get the Blessing on Thursday - 2 bands exemplary of the way in which urban UK jazz has started to explore a new realm of jazz/post-punk "fusion".

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    A challenge!

With as much free stuff as I've heard, I tended to gravitate away from the "balls to the wall" intensity of Brotzmann AND with the saxophone itself as a lead intstrument. I found my favorite free-jazz/improv stuff being that with more texture or different tone. Examples might be Parker/Guy/Lytton trio albums, George Graewe trios, Ganelin trio, Satoko Fujii, Scott Fields, etc. I can think of one or two people that post at PE that may be able to help. I could probably think of a few things as well given enough time.

In scrolling through my database, here's a few I've heard (but don't remember enough to be of great help in some cases) but may be some names you want to check out: AALY Trio with Ken Vandermark, Derek Bailey, Mats Gustafsson, etc.
    Can't blame you there! The sax can be particular piercing in this context. Certainly can drift into the 'mood music' realm quite easily. I think thats my particular "problem" with the more textual stuff you mention. I need to be in that particular mood to enjoy it otherwise my ears and mind wander too much to fuller appreicate it. Nevertheless I'll add the artists you mention to my list of things to investigate (S Fuiji sounds familar to me for some reasons). And I'll definitely look into AALY trio and Ken Vandermark (who somehow escape my investigation even though he was part of The Flying Luttenbachers at one point).

Thanks.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Don't have much time to contribute, here's my bit (sorry, it's the ones from the I Hate Jazz thread)

listen to the man's voice in the seond part

Fabrizzio is the Aka Moon trio saxman, btw (and Hatzi on bass and Galand on drums are in the project as well)

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

You might dig Cecil Taylor's cds 3 Phasis and/or Cecil Taylor Unit, both on New World Records.I owned them both at one time but culled my Cecil Taylor collection a few years ago, and these went to a friend.I recall the music as being mucho high energy,even for Cecil Taylor;a bit too intense for my somewhat changing tastes at that time.

Ahh great. Thanks! CT is one I've been meaning to look into further but his discog is quite large and knowing where to start seemed to be a confusing prospect at best. But you description sounds fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Charles Gayle.....

Thanks! Never heard of him before. Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    For fiery aggressive but also spiritual jazz, check out David Ware. For fiery aggressive punky jazz, check out Acoustic Ladyland. (on a mobile phone just now, so can't post linky things).

I'm off to see a double header with Roller Trio & Get the Blessing on Thursday - 2 bands exemplary of the way in which urban UK jazz has started to explore a new realm of jazz/post-punk "fusion".

Thanks! Either kind is acceptable and appreciated. On my list now.

Cozy... yeah, I think you and Nosebone (and more surprinsingly Yves) all have a certain/good knowledge of the Belgo-French scene and history Probably more than me...

Excellent Malik choices too, BTW

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    reine is a guest with the band (there is a E9 YT vid posted on the first page)

=========

Cool stuff with Good God and Zbigniew Namyslowski. Thanks for posting!!

Also for that excellent Threadgill vid.... Never heard this project... Is it the name of it : Society Situation Dance Band??
    (my library system doesn't have it)

==============

Ian, are you familiar with Aka Moon, Flat Earth Society or Octurn yet??
    Last edited by Trane; 03-11-2013 at 04:56 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

A few from Miguel Zenón:

Energy music question: David Ware and Charles Gayle are great suggestions. Can't remember if you mentioned Albert Ayler ... the reigning saint of the form. Sonny Sharrock, of course.

Marilyn Crispell's catalogue has a lot of this kind of stuff. Really great, especially if Gerry Hemingway is along. It's a different texture from Last Exit and the electric guitars, though.

Gary Chapin

French accordion blog: http://www.accordeonaire.blogspot.com

I just saw Roy Nathanson's Sotto Voce group up here in Maine. Roy and the Jazz Passengers were a favorite from my days in the NYC (the early 1990s). Still, amazing,

Gary Chapin

French accordion blog: http://www.accordeonaire.blogspot.com