Thread: JAZZ Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Agreed, both great players! I just listened to the first "Vital Tech Tones" (Steve Smith/Scott Henderson/Victor Wooten) Another good one with Smith is "The Stranger's Hand" with Jerry Goodman, Howard Levy and Ottiel Burbridge.
    VTT + VTT2
    "The Stranger Hand" off my radar ... tankx!.

I have Smith w/Frank Gambale + Stuart Hamm: "Show me what you can do" ... talking about guitarrists, Gambale is on my top list!.

First time that I saw him here in Costa Rica was with Steve Smith and Ric Fierabracci back in 2001: wowww!!.
    In 2010 saw him plus Alain Caron and venezuelan pianist, Otmaro Ruz on an acoustic format: Natural High Trio ... now were talking!: insane :-)

More on the topic, another good recommendation is:
    Steve Smith and Buddy's Buddies: Very Live at Ronnie Scott's set one and two.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

it's always a pleasure hearing excellent players like that...thanks for posting

I want one of those acoustic basses Alain is playing....that thing is cool.

I've been listening to Esperanza Spalding. I saw her on Austin City Limits and she reminded me of those early days of Return to Forever, and a bit of Weather Report, and mainstream, but overall pretty pleasant. I hope she keeps progressing...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I've been listening to Esperanza Spalding. I saw her on Austin City Limits and she reminded me of those early days of Return to Forever, and a bit of Weather Report, and mainstream, but overall pretty pleasant. I hope she keeps progressing...

Good pick, love this stuff.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Along with the aforementioned Steve Lehman, another alto player I dig is Aram Shelton, whose Arrive: There Was album on the ever-hip Clean Feed label is worth investigating:

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Because of this thread, I went and revisited some Brad Meldhau, and then just fell in. Three days so far of nothing but the man and his trio. It's like a revelation. I've enjoyed his stuff a lot in the past, but this time it's really scratching exactly the itch I've got.

Gary Chapin

French accordion blog: http://www.accordeonaire.blogspot.com

Maria Schneider is one of my favorite musicians out there today. I saw the Big Band a few years ago after Sky Blue came out (If you have not heard this one yet, you NEED to, its one of the most beautiful out there), and they were fantastic. I've met her a few times since then as wel (me and my Dad ran into her recently at a Kurt Rosenwinkel and OJM concert!) and she is a very sweet and kind lady. During the concert, she gave us and a few other audience members bird call instruments for us to play during the piece "Cerulean Skies". It was a wonderful experience. She also plays with some of the finest musicians in NY (and 2 of the best trombonists EVER, Ryan Keberle and Marshall Gilkes).
    Gilkes himself has some killer solo stuff too, some of my favorite jazz of the past couple of years. His newest album "Sound Stories" is one of my favorites from last year, the tunes are so great and just stunning playing.
    Here's a tune with his trio called "Slashes" (also, not sure how to post a video, so here is a link):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMnHzQ2cMrs

Mike Stern is one of my all time favorite guitarists. I have been listening to him since I was a baby. Killer player, I just love his style. I even like his chorus sound!
    Brad Mehldau is indeed a revelation, such an incredible musician.
    Esperanza Spalding has also quickly risen to my favorites. I love everything she touches
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Planechant View Post
    Because of this thread, I went and revisited some Brad Meldhau, and then just fell in. Three days so far of nothing but the man and his trio. It's like a revelation. I've enjoyed his stuff a lot in the past, but this time it's really scratching exactly the itch I've got
    Meldhau is a monster with a deep well of knowledge and chops to draw from. He's one of a handful of jazz pianists that can improvise stuff that sounds like thoroughly composed modern classical music. But there's a lot of jazz tradition in his playing too.

An interesting album is Michael Brecker's swan song, "Pilgrimage," which he basically got off of his death bed to make. You can hear that he wasn't his powerful self anymore, but he still sounded great and the compositions are way cool! Anyway, Meldhau is on half of it and Herbie Hancock is on the other half. Though Herbie was obviously a big influence for Brad, you can hear some big differences in their respective approaches; both of which are brilliant.

Underkarl-Sebastian Gramss !!
    "Born: 1993 - Germany
    Underkarl, founded by bass player Sebastian Gramss from Cologne in 1993, are hotly tipped as one of the foremost upcoming European jazz bands. Its five members are each highly respected soloists and instrumentalists in their own right.
    ... their music continually pushing the boundaries of contemporary music, rock, jazz and improvised music..."
    http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Bio/Underkarl.htm

Last edited by TCC; 03-22-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    If we are discussing big bands do not forget Maria Schneider. Her work is phenomenal, trually progressive in many ways. I believe she just released another album mixing classical music with jazz (that is little bit outside of the scope of this discussion).
    Tankx Progmatic: off my radar!.
    Another good example of mixing jazz with classical music is, from the jazz pianist Uri Caine, Urlicht/Primal Light (1997): masterful and magnificent interpretations of selected works of the 19th century classical composer Gustav Mahler.

Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Tankx Progmatic: off my radar!.
    Another good example of mixing jazz with classical music is, from the jazz pianist Uri Caine, Urlicht/Primal Light (1997): masterful and magnificent interpretations of selected works of the 19th century classical composer Gustav Mahler.

Thanks ...this is fantastic piece...now I have to get it...

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    another alto player I dig is Aram Shelton, whose Arrive: There Was album on the ever-hip Clean Feed label is worth investigating
    Bought this one at CuneiFest; good album.

And speaking of Clean Feed, just noticed there's a pretty huge back catalog sale on their website right now. Well over 100 titles are priced at 6.50 Euros, shipping included. Just ordered six back catalog items plus one brand new release:

Matt Bauder - Day in Pictures (with Angelica Sanchez, Nate Wooley, Jason Ajemien, and Tomas Fujiwara)
    The Convergence Quartet - Song/Dance (Alexander Hawkins/Taylor Ho Bynum/Dominic Lash/Harris Eisenstadt)
    Harris Eisenstadt - Guewel (with Josh Sinton, Nate Wooley, Taylor Ho Bynum, and Mark Taylor)
    Lucky 7s - Pluto Junkyard (Jason Adasiewicz/Jeb Bishop/Jeff Albert/Josh Berman/Keefe Jackson/Matthew Golombisky/Quin Kirchner)
    Tony Malaby's Tamarindo - Live (with Wadada Leo Smith, William Parker, and Nasheet Waits)
    Parker/Guy/Lytton + Peter Evans - Scenes in the House of Music
    Ches Smith and These Arches - Hammered (new release with Tim Berne, Tony Malaby, Mary Halvorson, and Andrea Parkins)

This might be best in another thread but I need some more classic (for lack of a better word) jazz on vinyl. You know, post-bop late 50s to mid 60s. Anyone got any recommendations? Other than Bill Evans "Portrait in Jazz" and a Brubeck compilation, I am woefully lacking in this regard. Any reissues I should be aware of and hunting down?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

If I hit the lottery, I'd buy the entire Okkadisk catalog.
    But I don't play the lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post

The Convergence Quartet - Song/Dance (Alexander Hawkins/Taylor Ho Bynum/Dominic Lash/Harris Eisenstadt)
    Lucky 7s - Pluto Junkyard (Jason Adasiewicz/Jeb Bishop/Jeff Albert/Josh Berman/Keefe Jackson/Matthew Golombisky/Quin Kirchner)
    Tony Malaby's Tamarindo - Live (with Wadada Leo Smith, William Parker, and Nasheet Waits)
    Parker/Guy/Lytton + Peter Evans - Scenes in the House of Music
    I have these and recommend Michael Attias's Twines of Colesion, also with Malaby....

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    Peter Evans
    An amazing talent on trumpet.His new live trio cd,"Zebulon" with John Hebert on doublebass and Kassa Overall on drums is getting spins here.It's exhausting but exhilerating listening.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    This might be best in another thread but I need some more classic (for lack of a better word) jazz on vinyl. You know, post-bop late 50s to mid 60s. Anyone got any recommendations? Other than Bill Evans "Portrait in Jazz" and a Brubeck compilation, I am woefully lacking in this regard. Any reissues I should be aware of and hunting down?
    TONS! And I'm too lazy to compile a list. But perhaps start with any Wayne Shorter or Herbie Hancock albums made on the Blue Note label during the '60s.

But perhaps start with any Wayne Shorter or Herbie Hancock albums made on the Blue Note label during the '60s.
    Yes, and...

Jackie McLean-Destination Out; One Step Beyond
    Grachan Moncur-Evolution
    Andrew Hill-Black Fire
    Joe Henderson-Inner Urge; In N Out
    Tony Williams-Lifetime on Blue Note
    Mal Waldron-The Quest
    Eric Dolphy-Far Cry; Out There, Out To Lunch
    Steve Lacy-Evidence
    Mingus's Atlantic albums
    Ornette Coleman-The Shape Of Jazz To Come
    Sonny Simmons/Prince Lasha-The Cry
    George Russell-Ezz-Thetics w/ Dolphy and Don Ellis
    Coltrane/Don Cherry-The Avant Garde
    Archie Shepp-Four or Trane
    Sam Rivers Fuchsia Swing Song
    Bobby Hutcherson-Components; Dialogue; Stick Up

I don't know what's available on vinyl? You might to pay
    a visit to the Organissimo jazz forum's vinyl frontier topic.
    http://www.organissimo.org/forum/
    Last edited by Reid; 03-23-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Yes, and...

Jackie McLean-Destination Out; One Step Beyond
    Grachan Moncur-Evolution
    Andrew Hill-Black Fire
    Joe Henderson-Inner Urge; In N Out
    Tony Williams-Lifetime on Blue Note
    Mal Waldron-The Quest
    Eric Dolphy-Far Cry; Out There, Out To Lunch
    Steve Lacy-Evidence
    Mingus's Atlantic albums
    Ornette Coleman-The Shape Of Jazz To Come
    Sonny Simmons/Prince Lasha-The Cry
    George Russell-Ezz-Thetics w/ Dolphy and Don Ellis
    Coltrane/Don Cherry-The Avant Garde
    Archie Shepp-Four or Trane
    Sam Rivers Fuchsia Swing Song
    Bobby Hutcherson-Components; Dialogue; Stick Up

I don't know what's available on vinyl? You might to pay
    a visit to the Organissimo jazz forum's vinyl frontier topic.
    http://www.organissimo.org/forum/

I am a huge fan of a lot of this stuff. This period was very exciting. The George Russell, Jackie McLean, Grachan Moncur, Tony Williams, Coltrane/Cherry and especially the Coleman stuff (lately) constitutes a great part of my listening these days.

I am really not up on the labels and rosters therein, so I don't know where Roland Kirk fits in, but I have been enjoying his record with Ira Sullivan a lot lately too (his second as it turns out)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introducing_Roland_Kirk

Roland Kirk is always a great listen. I have the Mercury box set, and a bunch of Atlantic albums. I don't think the box set is still in print, but several Mercury titles have been re-issued separately. His flute album, I Talk With The Spirits, is a beautiful record. The Atlantic live album, Bright Moments is another favorite. Also the Roy Haynes Impulse album Out Of The Afternoon w/ Kirk is a great session.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Andrew Hill-Black Fire
    And "Point of Departure." Actually, you can expand that list greatly just with albums by the artists on it. And there's many more artists that are deserving of being included on that list. But everytime someone asks for recommendations here on PE, we overwhelm them with a massive list. That's why my reply was short & sweet.

The '60s were my favorite period for jazz. It really started spreading it's wings and evolving in all sorts of directions during that decade.

The Andrew Hill albums with Joe Farrell are great too. Dance With Death, and Passing Ships. But the set I enjoy the most is the Mosaic Select group sessions (there's also a solo set). There's so much good stuff on this set featuring Bennie Maupin, Sam Rivers, Ron Carter, and a bunch of great drummers.

"Point of Departure."
    If only one by Hill, this is it.....

Skalpel is some nice stuff but its like acid jazz or nu jazz.