Page 116 of 147 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 3675

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

In memory of the great Tony Allen, who so sadly passed away this weekend:

It's fascinating how he gives these Jazz Messenger classics an afrobeat interpretation, which doesn't in any way "swing", yet which is still so evidently in the "spirit" of Art Blakey.

Does anyone here have the expanded edition of Jazz At Massey Hall that came out quite a while back? I've still got my trusty old 1989 CD of the original release and I've listened so many times over the years, I'm afraid I won't like a new version, even with more material! That might sound silly. But lately I've been wondering...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

RIP Richie Cole, a fine alto player who remained a bebop stalwart in a time of fusion and free jazz.

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Excellent album - Scandinavian tone:

Bjarne Roupé: guitar
    Kim Kristensen: piano,synthesizer
    Jens Winther: trumpet
    Klavs Hovman: bass
    Marlilyn Mazur: drums ,percussion (Miles Davis)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Speaking of Mazur, I could do with an album's worth of:

First I'd heard of Mazur, but I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    First I'd heard of Mazur, but I enjoyed it.
    https://www.thelastmiles.com/profiles_marilyn-mazur/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

I did enjoy that, but this is so tampered with (echoes, loops and other tricks) that one can wonder if it's not just playback

What is this dude doing playing he trumpet in reverse ... or is he tampering with the mic's integrity??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

"this dude doing playing he trumpet"

You do know that this dude is Arve Henricksen??!!?!

It's Nils Petter Molvaer on trumpet.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Haha! Of course it is

(I was listening to Arve's Places of Worship when I typed that )

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I thought so, but it doesn't explain what he's doing on the exit site of his trumpet
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Molvaer was probably making some sort of vocalization that Bang sampled and manipulated and triggered later on. At one point in Mazur's solo she was playing over a looped sample that seemed to have been captured by means of Molvaer's mic.

Aarset and Bang in another setting:

Last edited by Dave (in MA); 05-20-2020 at 08:53 PM.

This deserved to have been on ECM...

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    In memory of the great Tony Allen, who so sadly passed away this weekend:

It's fascinating how he gives these Jazz Messenger classics an afrobeat interpretation, which doesn't in any way "swing", yet which is still so evidently in the "spirit" of Art Blakey.
    Here's a fascinating, & well-compiled, mainstream media article about the contemporary London jazz scene, which underscores just how important Tony Allen has been in helping to define it's musical character:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...baka-hutchings

As always, there are questionable exclusionary constraints at work, but in this case, I think that these offer interesting avenues for further exploration, rather than undermiing the article's thesis. So, for instance, whilst the absence of bossa nova rhythms in the London scene is a mostly correct observation, they can still be heard - eg in Joe Armon-Jones' work. And these sound an important echo to the last great wave of youth dance jazz in the UK in the early/mid-80s, featuring bands like Working Week & Kid Creole, contemporaries of Loose Tubes, for whom Latin swing & bossa nova were at the very heart of their music. (By contrast, it's possible to trace a South African township connection back to Julian Arguelles from Loose Tubes, or even to Alan Skidmore, with Ubizo.)

But the question is also raised of the thread of a distinctive British jazz "sound" - which I think can be found in the evocation of Celtic folk melodies in the work of artists such as John Surman & Colin Steele, & which goes back to Bobby Wellins, & the extraordinary "pastoral" mood created most famously on the track "Starless & Bible Black" from the lp "Jazz Suite Inspired by Dylan Thomas' Under Milk Wood". I think this pastoral sound is also a major factor within the distinctive jazz sound that emerged within Canterbury-related acts in the early 70s. In parallel with this, & possibly of clearer relevance to the contemporary sounds of London jazz, would be the Jamaican influenced jazz of Wellins' contemporary, Joe Harriot. Finally, there is the wonderful music that emerged from the F!re Collective in the early 2000s (Accoustic Ladyland, Polar Bear, etc), which was simulataneously influenced by UK punk music from the late 70s alongside contemporay dance music, especially drum 'n' bass. Again, I think this latter influence does translate through into the contem porary scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

Fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by XavGel View Post
    Ooh - good shout, Xav - bought pretty much immediately

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Oh that is nice.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Jimmy Hastings(saxophone/flute) has graced many a British progressive rock/Canterbury session.Here is a JH straight ahead quartet jazz session featuring his sax and flute alongside piano,doublebass and drums.Excellent music,IMO.Link provided, with short samples of music.JimJams is the title of the quartet album.

http://www.jimmyhastings.co.uk/discography-store/
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Here's a fascinating, & well-compiled, mainstream media article about the contemporary London jazz scene, which underscores just how important Tony Allen has been in helping to define it's musical character:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...baka-hutchings

As always, there are questionable exclusionary constraints at work, but in this case, I think that these offer interesting avenues for further exploration, rather than undermiing the article's thesis. So, for instance, whilst the absence of bossa nova rhythms in the London scene is a mostly correct observation, they can still be heard - eg in Joe Armon-Jones' work. And these sound an important echo to the last great wave of youth dance jazz in the UK in the early/mid-80s, featuring bands like Working Week & Kid Creole, contemporaries of Loose Tubes, for whom Latin swing & bossa nova were at the very heart of their music. (By contrast, it's possible to trace a South African township connection back to Julian Arguelles from Loose Tubes, or even to Alan Skidmore, with Ubizo.)

But the question is also raised of the thread of a distinctive British jazz "sound" - which I think can be found in the evocation of Celtic folk melodies in the work of artists such as John Surman & Colin Steele, & which goes back to Bobby Wellins, & the extraordinary "pastoral" mood created most famously on the track "Starless & Bible Black" from the lp "Jazz Suite Inspired by Dylan Thomas' Under Milk Wood". I think this pastoral sound is also a major factor within the distinctive jazz sound that emerged within Canterbury-related acts in the early 70s. In parallel with this, & possibly of clearer relevance to the contemporary sounds of London jazz, would be the Jamaican influenced jazz of Wellins' contemporary, Joe Harriot. Finally, there is the wonderful music that emerged from the F!re Collective in the early 2000s (Accoustic Ladyland, Polar Bear, etc), which was simulataneously influenced by UK punk music from the late 70s alongside contemporay dance music, especially drum 'n' bass. Again, I think this latter influence does translate through into the contem porary scene.
    Picked up a few more London nu jazz scene records based on this article

Binker & Moses - Journey To The Mountain Of Forever
    Nerija - Blume
    Nubya Garcia - When We Are
    Emma-Jean Thackray - Rain Dance
    Yussef Kamaal - Black Focus
    Kokoroko - s/t
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 05-30-2020 at 10:13 PM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by XavGel View Post
    In my "wishlist": g r e a t !
    Thanks!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Friends,

François Tusques is a "new" name added to my little "musical consciousness"; I'm beginning to explore his work and really love it!
    I'm using this Bandcamp's article:

- A Guide to the Mind-Bending Jazz of François Tusques. -
    https://daily.bandcamp.com/lists/a-g...ancois-tusques

Any comments !:!

Thanks in advance,
    Tomás.
    Last edited by TCC; 05-31-2020 at 07:33 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Sarathy Korwar -

Nubya Garcia’s latest:
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee