Page 97 of 147 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 3666

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Just got my box of Coltrane: The Classic Quartet - Complete Impulse! This will take much study to absorb it all.
    That's a solid collection. Got it right after it was released. Soooooo much stuff and a huge book(let) with good info. Dig in!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    So I got the David Torn Cloud About Mercury album, it's on ECM but is it jazz? ambient jazz?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The Comet Is Coming is sort of mixture of different genres and influences. I hear a bit of African in it.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    The Comet Is Coming is sort of mixture of different genres and influences. I hear a bit of African in it.

I love The Comet Is Coming. Just got their new LP in the mail today actually -- it's very nice!

Newport Jazz Festival anyone? [As of 2012, the festival is sponsored by Natixis Global Asset Management ]

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post

They're part of a really exciting scene in south London today - Ezra Collective, Maisha, Nubya Garcia, Kokoroko, Sarah Tandy, Rosie Turton, Theon Cross, Binker & Moses, Seed Ensemble, Nérija - many of the bands share personnel, & Shabaka Hutchings has been a central figure from the outset. There are a few videos online, especially from the Boiler Room. There's also an excellent sampler: https://weouthere.bandcamp.com/

It's also a thrill to be at gigs where the audience is almost wholly made up of young kids, dancing & taking unrestrained joy in contemporary jazz music.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    They're part of a really exciting scene in south London today - Ezra Collective, Maisha, Nubya Garcia, Kokoroko, Sarah Tandy, Rosie Turton, Theon Cross, Binker & Moses, Seed Ensemble, Nérija - many of the bands share personnel, & Shabaka Hutchings has been a central figure from the outset. There are a few videos online, especially from the Boiler Room. There's also an excellent sampler: https://weouthere.bandcamp.com/

It's also a thrill to be at gigs where the audience is almost wholly made up of young kids, dancing & taking unrestrained joy in contemporary jazz music.
    Been following this LDN scene from Brussels (recently Maisha, Yazz Ahmed and Theon Cross were in town recently) and I' thinking of seeing Comet on April 5th.

The weird thing is that if 90% of the performers are black, the attendance is 99% white (at least on the continent)... usuall longed-beard and hairbun-wearing hipsters buying vinyls, but they don't know much of the background of this "spiritual jazz" pigeonhole thingie (does it matter much, though)

It's also weird being at a jazz concert (well it's not pure jazz) and being the oldest one (or almost) around ... generally, I'm amongst the younger ones.
    Last edited by Trane; 03-16-2019 at 07:37 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

This is the title track from the first full album by Graham Costello's Strata. This has quickly become my favourite release from 2019.

"It's also weird being at a jazz concert (well it's not pure jazz) and being the oldest one (or almost) around ... generally, I'm amongst the younger ones."

Haha! - this was exactly my experience when I saw Ezra Collective recently. (In London, I would say the audience is predominantly young, & black.)

This is the title track from the first full album by Graham Costello's Strata. This has quickly become my favourite release from 2019.
    Like it!.
    Thanks for the H.U.!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    So I got the David Torn Cloud About Mercury album, it's on ECM but is it jazz? ambient jazz?
    I heard it again today: yes, not your typical ECM record but a good one IMO !.

Found this concert in YT:
    - David Torn's Cloud About Mercury - Frankfurt, Germany, 1987-02-07. -
    (Instead of Tony Levin, Mick Karn.)

- Nice -

Finally, if you like "Cloud About Mercury, one more title to look at is:

- "Stilleto" (1989)
    Mike Shrieve's: David Torn and Mark Isham also feature on it.

https://youtu.be/ZjpsljcFPMY
    (Mike Shrieve, Mark Isham, David Torn, Andy Summers, & Terje Gewelt).

Regards!.
    Last edited by TCC; 03-17-2019 at 02:07 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Friends:
    I share and celebrate this revival: really good groups/musicians as audience(s) and thanks for the reco. of the sampler!
    Last edited by TCC; 03-19-2019 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I love The Comet Is Coming. Just got their new LP in the mail today actually -- it's very nice!

My cup of tea!
    Last edited by TCC; 03-19-2019 at 11:53 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Yes, this is very promising.

after a quick check-up, he's releasing this album in physical medium, unlike his previous one.

https://grahamcostello.bandcamp.com/album/strata-ep
    https://grahamcostello.bandcamp.com/album/obelisk-lp
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

They're part of a really exciting scene in south London today - Ezra Collective, Maisha, Nubya Garcia, Kokoroko, Sarah Tandy, Rosie Turton, Theon Cross, Binker & Moses, Seed Ensemble, Nérija - many of the bands share personnel, & Shabaka Hutchings has been a central figure from the outset.

.Ebi Soda - Ebi Soda (EP).
    - Jazz Funk septet residing in Brighton (South East England): recommended for the fans of Kamaal Williams, Ruby Rushton etc.) -

More:
    https://ebi-soda.bandcamp.com

--------------------------------------------------

Digging:

.Dexter Story - Bahir. (2019)
    This album has surprised me and with each listening I enjoy it more.

"So Bahir finds the polymath musician not stuck between two worlds, but as a member of both. We get Ethiopian tonalities, Ethio-groove, eskista, gurage and North Sudanese shaygiya dance rhythms, Afro-funk, Somali soul and forays into more contemporary global rhythms, too. Angelenos like Miguel Atwood-Ferguson and Josef Leimberg give the record its backbone, while African artists like the Ethiopian singer Hamelmal Abate give Bahir its glimmer and shine."

More:
    https://dexterstory.bandcamp.com/album/bahir

More info.:
    https://www.dexterstory.com

Regards!.
    Last edited by TCC; 03-23-2019 at 01:00 AM.

Hello Gang!.
    Digging some really good japanese jazz:

.Ronin Arkestra - First meeting (EP).

More:
    https://roninarkestra.bandcamp.com/album/first-meeting

"Formed in Tokyo in 2017, Ronin Arkestra brings together some of the finest and most creative players in Japan’s Jazz and and electronic scene."

Regards!.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Badass!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

- Just for a sunny/windy Sunday morning!

NP:
    Rodrigo Agudelo - Aeronautas.

Good effort by this young argentine guitarist, composer, arranger, teacher and producer that comfirms the great moment of Jazz music in Argentina.

Regards!.

I'll pile on, that Costello track is fantastic.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm in, too...that Costello track is awesome.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Big Ears was very jazz focused this year with the ECM celebration, got to see

Day 1
    Bill Frisell & Thomas Morgan - noodly jazz guitar and cello, venue was packed, not really my thing, left after 3 tracks
    Kukangendia - Japanese trio playing minimalist brutal jazz with heavy focus on single repeated notes, really excellent
    Matthias Eick Quintet - Jaga Jazzist trumpeter with a good modern jazz band, really good, best of the day
    Yunohana Variations - Trio of two percussionists and a sound sculptor, really interesting improv with lots of movement.

Day 2
    Mary Halvorson Code Girl - modern jazz with good vocals, rather good
    The Comet Is Coming - stunningly good heavy electronic funky jazz with superb sax player, best gig of the festival so far
    Absint - Torn, Frisell, Berne, Nealand, avant noisy experimental jazz, not really for me
    Fire! - swedish heavy squonky modern jazz that grooved, loads of fun

Day 3
    Columbia Icefield - experimental ambient noisy jazz with Nate Wooley and Mary Halvorson, very good
    Matt Wilsons Honey & Salt, americana jazz with fun songs, fun show
    Thumbscrew - modern jazz trio with Mary Halvorson, excellent
    Carla Bley Trio - solid jazz trio with Andy Sheppard on sax, very nice
    Sons Of Kemet - bouncy danceable jazz with tuba and oustanding sax player, lasted 3 songs as I was beat and went to bed

Day 4 have to admit to exhaustion starting to set in due to pure quantity
    Nik Bartsch Ronin - minimalist modern jazz that grooves and grooves, utterly fantastic as usual, loads of stunned faces on way out, best of the day
    Wadada Leo Smith - trumpet stars jazz trio, did stay too long as needed a break, seemed good
    Art Ensemble Of Chicago - big band playing composed vocal jazz and cacophonous improv, not normally my thing but pretty enjoyable, huge crowd.

Highlights were
    The Comet Is Coming
    Nik Bartsch Ronin
    Kukangendia
    Mary Halvorson Code Girl
    Fire!
    Thumbscrew
    Carla Bley Trio
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^^
    Thanks for the H.U. Ian, I really appreciate it!.
    And definitely, I'm going to do a little research about some that I don't know, for example:

- Kukangendia, Matthias Eick Quintet, Yunohana Variations, Absint and Matt Wilsons Honey & Salt.

Cheers!.
    Tomás.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Big Ears was very jazz focused this year with the ECM celebration, got to see

Highlights were
    The Comet Is Coming
    Nik Bartsch Ronin
    Kukangendia
    Mary Halvorson Code Girl
    Fire!
    Thumbscrew
    Carla Bley Trio
    Great line-up, if you ask me... I'd almost kill to have a European jazz festival so drastically modern

Shabaka Hutchings was in two of the bands (Comet Is Coming and Sons Of Kemet)

Seeing Comet next week in Brussels.