Thread: JAZZ Discussion

Big band performance of this Steps Ahead tune with Mike Mainieri on vibes.

As an avowed Spotifier, I listen to the playlists of new Jazz just to see if I'm missing anything interesting. Why does it seem to that a lot of the drums sounds like that "Drum N Bass" electronic music?
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    As an avowed Spotifier, I listen to the playlists of new Jazz just to see if I'm missing anything interesting. Why does it seem to that a lot of the drums sounds like that "Drum N Bass" electronic music?
    For a lot of the younger jazzers who are now at the forefront of the "scene", they will have grown up in musical cultures where drum & bass is more or less the dominant sound - & these are musicians who, for various reasons, are actively seeking to "connect" with audiences & peers for whom jazz may well not be the main music that they're listening to...so it's more or less second nature to play in ways that reflect or evoke the "skittering" style of drum & bass breakbeats.

I think one of the first jazz bands who started experimenting with this was est - Magnus Öström was explicitly playing with drum & bass styles as early as Strange Place for the Snow in 2002 - if not even earlier.

In the other direction, there was an explicit jazz sensibility in quite a few of the pioneering drum & bassers - such as 4 Hero (eg Two Pages in 1998), Roni Size (eg New Forms, from 1997), Grooverider, etc. So, I guess it would be more or less correct to say that the crossover really started to take place towards the very end of the 90s with the drum & bassers incorporating jazz grooves & instruments into their records, & then started to be assimilated in jazz bands a year or two after that.

np:

Ron Miles - Rainbow Sign.

More info:
    http://www.bluenote.com/ron-miles-to...-rainbow-sign/

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Ha, my first post here after quite a long absence and it's on a Jazz rather than Prog topic!

However, its a great thread and I didn't see anything by Artemis posted, so here you go:

One of my favorite albums of the past year (the Ron Miles disc above is also at the top of the list), just outstanding music in every way.

Ambrose Akinmusire, another faultless 2020 release:

2020 was also a good year for ECM releases, one of my favorites is Scofield/Stewart/Swallow:
    "...when Kenny G decided that it was appropriate for him to defile the music of the man who is probably the greatest jazz musician that has ever lived by spewing his lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing all over one of the great Louis's tracks (even one of his lesser ones), he did something that I would not have imagined possible."
    -Pat Metheny commenting on Kenny G's soprano overdubs on top of "What a Wonderful World"

More primo archival British jazz.First time issue.Neil Ardley.-Live 1975

https://jazzinbritain1.bandcamp.com/...inbows-live-75
    Last edited by walt; 2 Days Ago at 02:01 PM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Listening to September Man from this box.