Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Guess Who

The Guess Who

Anyone on here fans of this Canadian band? I recently started listening to their classic albums. I don’t know a lot about them. I always liked the hits. Their albums seem a bit uneven to me even though there is some great music and playing on them. I know Cummings released some solo material but have never heard any of it. Also I know that Randy Bachman was in the band for awhile before he formed Bachman Turner Overdrive. Can anyone fill in some of the missing pieces that I’m sure I don’t know about them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Anyone on here fans of this Canadian band? I recently started listening to their classic albums. I don’t know a lot about them. I always liked the hits. Their albums seem a bit uneven to me even though there is some great music and playing on them. I know Cummings released some solo material but have never heard any of it. Also I know that Randy Bachman was in the band for awhile before he formed Bachman Turner Overdrive. Can anyone fill in some of the missing pieces that I’m sure I don’t know about them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am far from an expert, but am a fan. I own a few compilation albums and 5 of their studio albums. There is a current version of the band out there touring with only one original member in drummer Gary Peterson, but the rest of the band have not worked with each other in years. IMO Burton Cummings is one of the more overlooked vocalists of all time. These guys should be a sho-in for the Rock n Roll Hall Of Fame, but it will probably never happen.

I understand the first few albums with Randy Bachman are usually considered the classic era but the later albums like 10 and Road Food are pretty good and remind me a bit of early Steely Dan. The original bass player took ownership of the name and has had various lineups on the road for the long time, although there have been some brief reunions with Cummings and Bachman.

Great, GREAT band and should absolutely be in the R&R HOF. The Peterson band has deceiving people all over the place for decades. Burton is truly one of the great singers and songwriters of all time, IMNSHO. While I am not totally up to speed on his solo work, his best of album is essential.

This is a great 2CD Guess Who comp:

s-l500.jpg
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Great, GREAT band and should absolutely be in the R&R HOF. The Peterson band has deceiving people all over the place for decades. Burton is truly one of the great singers and songwriters of all time, IMNSHO. While I am not totally up to speed on his solo work, his best of album is essential.

s-l500.jpg
    As Per. Loads on YouTube.

This number is the one most folks I know associate with them .
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=AggMBSRmQco

never really understood the behinnings of the band (Chad Allan), but for me, the real GW is from Wheatfield until Share The Land and Live at the Paramount. Bachman's departure definitely hurt the band, even if the consuquences took a couple of years to show.

Had a few viyls from the band but as far as CDs are concerned, I only have the 5 classic album boxset (to which I disagree somewhat about the later two albums, which I'd replace with Wheatfield & Paramount) and probably won't go beyond it. Overall, I'd say Canned Wheat is my fave of theirs

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/co...lbum-classics/

Saw the band twice, way past its prime, and mostly because they happened to be on the bill.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Bachman's departure definitely hurt the band, even if the consuquences took a couple of years to show.
    Well, that changed it, that's for sure. But there were still some really great tunes after he bolted.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The string of hits between 1969-1970...Laughing, Undun, These Eyes, American Woman, No Time. No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature, Hand Me Down World and Share The Land are still alive and fresh today. I never tire of listening to those tunes
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

I have heard a fair amount of their singles, and have a ROIO concert of the "classic" band. Good stuff, but I don't know which albums to buy...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I can't think of any reason why they're not in the RRHOF. They certainly fit all of the requirements, although it's possible that Cummings didn't exude enough "frontman persona".

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    The string of hits between 1969-1970...Laughing, Undun, These Eyes, American Woman, No Time. No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature, Hand Me Down World and Share The Land are still alive and fresh today. I never tire of listening to those tunes
    I couldn't have said it better. When I was a pre-teen in the 70's, I was handed down a Best of Guess Who record that had all of these songs. Talk about a collection of songs that you just don't skip any. Lifelong fan of the Burton-era band.

Well, that changed it, that's for sure. But there were still some really great tunes after he bolted.
    That entire Share the Land album, even without Bachman, is just great all the way through imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    That entire Share the Land album, even without Bachman, is just great all the way through imho.
    There's a reason why they released a Best Of that included a whole side of songs from Share the Land.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I had...maybe still have it...the single (45) of Laughing back in the day. I was amazed as it was in stereo...this was unheard of.
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

s-l500.jpg
    Agree, probably the best comp available.

Yup, as I said, STL and Paramount are great albums/

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    Absolutely I had made an XL-II S compilation side for the car-only use.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I can't think of any reason why they're not in the RRHOF. They certainly fit all of the requirements, although it's possible that Cummings didn't exude enough "frontman persona".
    Well, TBH, in Canada, at one point (late 70's & early 80's) he had some crooner-type of image (pushed by cheap record TV ads) with those tacky frilly shirt & jacket that were veering towards a tux suit, which didn't give him the RnR aura.
    Compared to Bachman's Ironhorse or Union project of that same time.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Totally agree that Burton Cummings is a fantastic singer. There was a while there that the Guess Who were a hit factory!

This song simply cannot be played loud enough.

My mom used to play their music when my brother and I were kids, and I developed a real fondness for it. Burton was indeed an excellent singer and writer, and the band put out some great music. I still enjoy their stuff, although I really only know the hits and the ones that my mom played. But anyway, great band!
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

From the later stuff, "Clap For The Wolfman" is a good groove even if the song concept is silly.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I have heard a fair amount of their singles, and have a ROIO concert of the "classic" band. Good stuff, but I don't know which albums to buy...
    Live albums:

Live at the Paramount
    Running Back Thru Canada

Studio albums:

Canned Wheat
    American Woman
    Share The Land
    So Long, Bannatyne

The above are necessary, but by no means the limit if you find yourself a fan.

Also good, should you wish to continue:

Wheatfield Soul
    Rockin'
    Artificial Paradise
    Road Food

Compilations (Albert Flasher and Broken are not on their studio albums):

Best Of The Guess Who
    Track Record: The Guess Who Collection
    The Ultimate Collection
    Greatest Hits
    Anthology
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    From the later stuff, "Clap For The Wolfman" is a good groove even if the song concept is silly.
    Yeah that's a good one. I like "Rain Dance" too actually -- goofy lyrics and all.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

This song simply cannot be played loud enough.

yes, but this was a major AM hit... can't remember really hearing this over FM radios

lovely tune, but attracting a very different audience.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Great little creepy song.

"I'm still sittin' with my next door neighbour sayin'
    "Where'd you get the gun, John?.........."

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Live albums:

Live at the Paramount
    Running Back Thru Canada

Studio albums:

Canned Wheat
    American Woman
    Share The Land
    So Long, Bannatyne

The above are necessary, but by no means the limit if you find yourself a fan.

Also good, should you wish to continue:

Wheatfield Soul
    Rockin'
    Artificial Paradise
    Road Food

Compilations (Albert Flasher and Broken are not on their studio albums):

Best Of The Guess Who
    Track Record: The Guess Who Collection
    The Ultimate Collection
    Greatest Hits
    Anthology
    If you still buy CD's there is one of those Original Album Classics mini box sets that contain 5 albums for a bargain price. The mini-box contains:

Canned Wheat
    American Woman
    Share The Land
    So Long Banantyne
    Rockin

I picked that one up and all good stuff.