Page 73 of 147 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 3675

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    They need a jazz drummer, not rock drummer in disguise.
    Ok; for example, like who?.
    For me it's fine and works.
    Last edited by TCC; 04-26-2017 at 09:56 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Hola!!.
    For the weekend:

First spin:

. Dinosaur - Together, As One (2016).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI22Hr9FDwU

"Electric Miles ... Her band’s focused joy replaces the darker eddies Miles traversed." Nick Hasted.

. Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis - Live In Cuba (2015)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sFyshRdHPk

. Michael Wollny Trio in concert - Klangspuren (2016). - (Collector`s edition cd + DVD).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4lKQ9yWr5o

Regards!.
    Last edited by TCC; 04-29-2017 at 09:28 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Your drop-everything PSA for the day (for the US/Canada crowd):

Last edited by Spiral; 05-04-2017 at 04:04 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    They were great when I saw them last year
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

This live Lyle Mays Quartet album was recorded in 1992 but only released in 2015. The drummer, Mark Walker was in my band, Bad Dog U at the time (and I booked gigs around his schedule because he was often out on hip tours like this). These guys are firing on all cylinders!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    This live Lyle Mays Quartet album was recorded in 1992 but only released in 2015. The drummer, Mark Walker was in my band, Bad Dog U at the time (and I booked gigs around his schedule because he was often out on hip tours like this). These guys are firing on all cylinders!

I've got this one, and you're right they are really on top of their game here.

Never knew about the Bad Dog U connection though. That's really cool!

Put on my Amazon wishlist!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Thankx No Pride for the H.U.!!.
    Nice!!.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Rainy afternoon here in Tiquicia!.

N.W.:
    Jazzahead 2016 Laura Jurd - Dinosaur.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

For any ECM junkies, your thoughts on Arild Andersen would be appreciated. To my inexperienced ears he sounds a bit like Eberhard Weber. Any recommendations on essential albums?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I don't know about supposed essential abums? But I like all of the Arild Andersen albums I have including the Early Quartets box Blue In Green, the more recent sax trio album Mira, featuring Paolo Vinaccia on drums and Scottish tenor Tommy Smith who has a big, full sound, and an older trio album with Ralph Towner and Nana Vasconcelos entitled If You Look Far Enough.

Speaking of ECM, I've been listening to Charles Lloyd's live album Rabo De Nube, which contains some of the best playing and music I've heard from Lloyd. It features the superb Eric Harland on drums, and Jason Moran on piano. And the bass player, Reuben Rogers.

I just ordered Michael Formanek's large ensemble CD, The Distance, which is also on ECM. Here's a preview:

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I don't know about supposed essential abums? But I like all of the Arild Andersen albums I have including the Early Quartets box Blue In Green, the more recent sax trio album Mira, featuring Paolo Vinaccia on drums and Scottish tenor Tommy Smith who has a big, full sound, and an older trio album with Ralph Towner and Nana Vasconcelos entitled If You Look Far Enough.

Speaking of ECM, I've been listening to Charles Lloyd's live album Rabo De Nube, which contains some of the best playing and music I've heard from Lloyd. It features the superb Eric Harland on drums, and Jason Moran on piano. And the bass player, Reuben Rogers.

I just ordered Michael Formanek's large ensemble CD, The Distance, which is also on ECM. Here's a preview:

Yes the trio with Tommy Smith is pretty amazing.
    When I was still living in Glasgow Scotland I used to go to a pub called the Halt Bar and they used to feature jazz on Thursdays - There was a band which was essentially the legendary Head (who Jack Bruce played with a few times) the drummer was Bill Kyle the bassist Alan Taylor, the awesome guitarist Lachlan McColl and on Alto sax Tony Gorman who moved to Australia and formed the great Clarion Fracture Zone with his wife Sandy Evans. But the reason everyone was going to the bar was to see the tenor player - a 14 year old phenom called Tommy Smith. It was absolutely unbelievable to see such a young kid blowing his way through Trane and Monk tunes with no effort at all. He soon was snapped up and went to Berklee School of Music in Boston - but I have great memories of those nights at the Halt. Funny thing - he had to have a special dispensation from Glasgow District Council to play in a premises which sold alcohol and had to be accompanied by an adult at all times.
    When he came to America he was almost immediately snapped up by Gary Burton and featured on his album Whizz Kids along with Steve Swallow, Makoto Ozone and Martin Richards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    For any ECM junkies, your thoughts on Arild Andersen would be appreciated. To my inexperienced ears he sounds a bit like Eberhard Weber. Any recommendations on essential albums?
    I am not sure I fully appreciate the Weber comparison, but there is lots of solid Andersen to sink your teeth into. I recommend that early quartet box. While I didn't scrounge for the best track, A Moore Concet is fairly essential:

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I don't know that Andersen is exactly the same either, but check out Barre Phillips' Mountainscapes. You'd probably enjoy it, I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Your drop-everything PSA for the day (for the US/Canada crowd):

Of course they are playing the same night as Roger Waters in Boston.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Of course they are playing the same night as Roger Waters in Boston.
    I sympathize

More likely that you'll have a better chance to catch GGP some other time... It seems they're playing 250 gigs a year
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Thomas De Pourquery & Supersonic - Sons of Love (2017)

i.ain't.dead.irock

The piano-bass-drums trio has been a long time staple in jazz.In the right hands, it's still capable of conjuring great music.These three men, on this session,imo,hit the mark.YMMV.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I sympathize

More likely that you'll have a better chance to catch GGP some other time... It seems they're playing 250 gigs a year
    Yeah, I saw GGP last year, I hope to see them next time through.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    The piano-bass-drums trio has been a long time staple in jazz.In the right hands, it's still capable of conjuring great music.These three men, on this session,imo,hit the mark.YMMV.

Agree Walt!.

"The music on this CD is improvisational music in it’s purest form. Music that gives the listener the opportunity to enjoy the open SPACE, in which the music was created.".

http://www.storyvillerecords.com/pro...-place-1014271
    Last edited by TCC; 05-16-2017 at 10:34 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Early contender for 2017 album of the year?

Adam Rudolph's Moving Pictures, new album Glare of the Tiger. I couldn't find a full track to share, just an EPK which gives you small glimpses. It's half the spirit of electric Miles infused with a lot more African beats, rhythms, and melodies. Add Hamid Drake to double up the percussion and the end result is quite fantastic.

this has been spinning in the car for a week or so... I don't even feel like popping it out of the deck
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I don't know that Andersen is exactly the same either, but check out Barre Phillips' Mountainscapes. You'd probably enjoy it, I do.
    As always with ECM, not in print but apparently there are copies of Discog. But yeah, this is tasty.

I figured it was worth a try to email the promoters and show support for a Philly-area gig if possible. The response I got was "keep an eye out for 2018."

As always with ECM, not in print but apparently there are copies of Discog. But yeah, this is tasty.

That's been a fave of mine for decades.

this has been spinning in the car for a week or so... I don't even feel like popping it out of the deck
    Where did you order your copy from, btw? I ordered one from the label's online store three weeks ago, and it still hasn't arrived...