Page 128 of 147 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138 ... LastLast
Results 3,176 to 3,200 of 3675

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    This may well end up my favorite release of the year

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The first track, in places, reminds me of Mahavishnu Orchestra.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

A superb record with a lot of depth.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

That's good enough for me, Ian - ordered immediately!

I've been holding off - I have a few of her previous releases, & find that I don't play them often, so I had been assuming I'd give this one a pass. But I've had to recalibrate!!

FLAMENCO-JAZZ - Complete LP - Pedro Iturralde Paco De Lucia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6MIyfGygtU

Banned
    Actually, this is a Swedish 14-piece ensemble of music students who had decided to record this in 2005. Released at July 30, 2021, this music has never been played since, nor previously released. "Was Here" is a collection of progressive jazz tunes with a polystylistic approach -the influences range from Thelonious Monk and Ornette Coleman to Frank Zappa - beautifully played and well recorded. The music was composed by Mathias Lundqvist, then 27 years old who just was finishing his master's degree at the Royal Academy of Music in Stockholm. Some ex-members of this former student ensemble are well-established on the Swedish jazz-scene now.

Banned
    This is an excellent jazz-fusion archival release. The NDIO was the result of a collaboration between Dutch saxophonist Frank van der Kooij and English bassist Hugh Hopper (ex-Soft Machine). Frank formed the NDIO (short of New Dutch Improvisation Orchestra) for concerts on the Dutch jazz scene. Sadly, this 24-year long collaboration ended abruptly with Hugh's passing in 2009.
    The band line-up on this album is: Frank van der Kooij on tenor & soprano sax and bass clarinet, Hugh Hopper on bass, Kim Weemhoff on drums, Paul Maassen on synthesizer & piano, Robert Jarvis on trombone, Niels Brouwer on guitar and Henk de Laat on double bass on "The City".
    All compositions by Frank van der Kooij, except "Big Bombay" by Hugh Hopper, and "Ravel" by Hopper and Frank Van der Kooij, as "Zenith" also contains a previously un-released 14-minute long track called "Ravel".
    Otherwise there is lively jazz-fusion on "Zenith", virtuoso solos and 'cosmic' sections, in which the participants play complex music, cheerfully alternate. What is offered here is delicate and playful, but so thrilling and varied at the same time. If you don't know NDIO yet and want to broaden your jazz-fusion horizons, you can grab this double-LP. "Zenith" is also available on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    This is an excellent jazz-fusion archival release. The NDIO was the result of a collaboration between Dutch saxophonist Frank van der Kooij and English bassist Hugh Hopper (ex-Soft Machine). Frank formed the NDIO (short of New Dutch Improvisation Orchestra) for concerts on the Dutch jazz scene. Sadly, this 24-year long collaboration ended abruptly with Hugh's passing in 2009.
    The band line-up on this album is: Frank van der Kooij on tenor & soprano sax and bass clarinet, Hugh Hopper on bass, Kim Weemhoff on drums, Paul Maassen on synthesizer & piano, Robert Jarvis on trombone, Niels Brouwer on guitar and Henk de Laat on double bass on "The City".
    All compositions by Frank van der Kooij, except "Big Bombay" by Hugh Hopper, and "Ravel" by Hopper and Frank Van der Kooij, as "Zenith" also contains a previously un-released 14-minute long track called "Ravel".
    Otherwise there is lively jazz-fusion on "Zenith", virtuoso solos and 'cosmic' sections, in which the participants play complex music, cheerfully alternate. What is offered here is delicate and playful, but so thrilling and varied at the same time. If you don't know NDIO yet and want to broaden your jazz-fusion horizons, you can grab this double-LP. "Zenith" is also available on CD.

Thanks for the H.U.! Monet, I have "Airback" and is a winner in my collection !

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Banned
    "Sketchbook" is an album of the Venetian saxophonist & composer Nagual, alias Giovanni Ancorato. The music delivered here is a fusion of various styles and faraway ethnic traditions. The quintet's music goes steady enough to manage any atmosphere and mood with ease, as well as capable of evoking distant landscapes and invoking the spiritual worlds of ancient cultures. This quite pleasant and elegant album is released on Italian label Caligola Records, and it's available on CD.

Banned
    I have no doubt that many of you already know the French guitarist Jean Lapouge as the founder and leader of Noëtra, all-instrumental French band that in the late 70s had played an eclectic mixture of jazz, rock and chamber music à la Stravinski and Debussy. Unfortunately, in the early 80s they had failed to make a deal with Manfred Eicher's ECM and ended up dissolving in 1985. But in the early 90s, Musea Records had gathered the archival material that had been recorded between 1979 and 1981, and released a CD titled "Neufs songes" (1992) and solo album by Lapouge, "Hauts plateaux" (1993). Since then, Lapouge had released several albums.
    However, with his new CD called "Quadrilogie", now as a trio (along with Christian Pabœuf on vibraphone & oboe, and his son Nicolas Lapouge on electric bass), Jean Lapouge has achieved his chef d'oeuvre in third stream jazz, which offers elegiac soundscapes of the highest perfection.
    The romantic character of the compositions unfolds a moving intensity in all its inconspicuousness. A delicate elegance pervades the album and Jean Lapouge's guitar hovers over the varied euphoria. The mood varies between moving melancholy and positive happiness, although the elegiac moments are predominate. This music is catching the ear, perfect, dignified, contemplative, floating, dreamily, sonorous and melodious.
    Perfectly incorporated romanticism round off the whole thing and contribute to an absolutely timeless piece of music.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quite enjoying this from Makaya McCraven, features Shabaka Hutchings, Tomeka Reid, Nubya Garcia and others.

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quite enjoying this from Makaya McCraven, features Shabaka Hutchings, Tomeka Reid, Nubya Garcia and others.

Wow, thats quite an impressive line up.
    Hafta check it out.

I did not know if this article about British jazz in the late 1960s to the mid 1970s should go here or, perhaps, with the Nucleus thread. But here it is:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...n-tony-higgins
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Banned
    This is not a full-length album, this is a 5-track EP, but an absolutely brilliant one; jazz-fusion at its best. This young Quebec bassist and his band mates play pure jazz-fusion and nothing but fusion. And damn good.
    It has a dash of a "mainstream" - and that is not meant in a derogatory way. On the contrary, it's very well thought-out, with quite complex arrangements that still "run into" well. In addition a very good and fat sound that gives the groove in the album a real kick. That makes Carl Mayotte's "Pop de Ville Vol. 1" (I can't wait for Vol.2!) a great album for people who would love to lean back, close their eyes and just enjoying extremely pleasant fusion. Highly recommended for the fans of Weather Report from their Heavy Weather era.

Holy fuckin Bandcamp posts!

I watched about 1/2 of that PM interview yesterday Reidster....great shit. Such a lovely chap.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Holy fuckin Bandcamp posts!

I watched about 1/2 of that PM interview yesterday Reidster....great shit. Such a lovely chap.
    He's a pretty sharp fella! And it's always nice to have a knowledgeable person conducting the interview.

I'm enjoying some vibes and piano here from Burghausen 2011 in high quality sight and sound.

Well, I'm amazed and impressed by this :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQg2R1guo-E
    https://ghostrhythms.bandcamp.com/
    "YOU WERE GOING TO MAKE ME RELEASE A CD OF YOU FRENCH GOOFBALLS DOING SOFT MACHINE SONGS"

Anthony Jackson and Dave Holland ---- bass
    Peter Erskine--- drums
    Mino Cinelu -----percussion
    David Liebman---- soprano sax
    Bob Mintzer---- tenor Sax and bass clarinet
    Jon Faddis----- trumpet

Saw it at the "Best of 2021's" thread and now recommended around here: I like it!
    Tankx Ian !!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Banned
    The drummer & keyboardist Srdjan Ivanović brings out a lot of inventiveness for his band, the Blazin' Quartet, from his native Balkans. Ivanović told us about the Balkans as a place where the east musically meets the west and then best communicate through the colorfulness of jazz. His most recent album called "Sleeping Beauty" perfectly transfers these melodic impacts from the Balkans as well as the utterly European atmosphere that his band's members from France and Italy contributed to the music. Thus, this CD is much closer to the ECM aesthetics from the best days of that label than to the "classic" world-fusion from the Balkans. The great tracks on this CD, for example "The Man with the Harmonica", warm up while the whole band plays with movement and energy. Really, if you love the atmosphere of the late seventies ECM records, this MoonJune release is for you.

Last edited by Monet; 08-31-2021 at 01:43 AM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Just in case you weren't aware already, "The Man with the Harmonica" is a piece from Ennio Morricone and bits of it appear throughout Once Upon A Time In The West, playing an integral part in the storyline.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Just in case you weren't aware already, "The Man with the Harmonica" is a piece from Ennio Morricone and bits of it appear throughout Once Upon A Time In The West, playing an integral part in the storyline.
    Morricone covers work fine for me. Furthermore, on "Sleeping Beauty" CD, these Morricone covers create to these ears a harmoniousness with Balkan tradition-influenced tracks composed by Ivanović, for instance "Rue des Balkans", which featuring flute player Magic Malik.

edit: An excerpt from Andreas the track from "Sleeping Beauty" CD by Blazin' Quartet; a duo by Andreas Polyzogopoulos (trumpet) and Srdjan Ivanović (keys) live in studio:

Last edited by Monet; 08-31-2021 at 01:57 AM.