Thread: JAZZ Discussion

  1. #2576
    Boo! walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland Gardens NY
    Posts
    4,255
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

  2. #2577
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    96
    Coming in a few weeks is Volume 2 of the J-Jazz compilation on BBE (Barely Breaking Even) Records:
    https://bbemusic.bandcamp.com/album/...apan-1969-1983
    Volume 1 from last year was my favorite release of 2018, unearthing a load of obscure and largely unheard rarities that spanned modal, hard bop, spiritual and fusion grooves from the Japanese jazz underground. Volume 2 is even better! They’re also continuing to reissue some of the full-length album rarities featured on the sampler, such as the excellent Makoto Terashita Meets Harold Land ‘Topology’ https://bbemusic.bandcamp.com/album/...-land-topology
    Views expressed by the author do not necessarily represent those of Sony Music

  3. #2578
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    Coming in a few weeks is Volume 2 of the J-Jazz compilation on BBE (Barely Breaking Even) Records:
    https://bbemusic.bandcamp.com/album/...apan-1969-1983
    Volume 1 from last year was my favorite release of 2018, unearthing a load of obscure and largely unheard rarities that spanned modal, hard bop, spiritual and fusion grooves from the Japanese jazz underground. Volume 2 is even better! They’re also continuing to reissue some of the full-length album rarities featured on the sampler, such as the excellent Makoto Terashita Meets Harold Land ‘Topology’ https://bbemusic.bandcamp.com/album/...-land-topology
    Wow! Very cool! I love that first volume, but had no idea there was another coming so soon.

    Hoping this shows up at the usual US vendors (e.g. Wayside, Laser's Edge).

  4. #2579
    Member helicase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    129
    More J-Jazz, great! And no overlap with Jazzman's Spiritual Jazz Japan as far as I can tell (a couple from the first J-Jazz appeared on that compilation), so I'll definitely be getting this.

  5. #2580


    There are times, listening to music, when you find yourself brought up short - by a beautiful melody, a special moment of musicianship...

    Today, listening to Wayne Shorter's "etc.", the track Penelope suddenly brought home to me, vividly, just how remarkable Shorter was/is as a composer.

    Obviously, this is no great insight, I'm not saying anything that anyone doesn't already know - but it really did hit home, viscerally, listening at that moment, to that tune...

  6. #2581
    Member hippypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tyler, Tx
    Posts
    724

  7. #2582
    Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post


    There are times, listening to music, when you find yourself brought up short - by a beautiful melody, a special moment of musicianship...

    Today, listening to Wayne Shorter's "etc.", the track Penelope suddenly brought home to me, vividly, just how remarkable Shorter was/is as a composer.

    Obviously, this is no great insight, I'm not saying anything that anyone doesn't already know - but it really did hit home, viscerally, listening at that moment, to that tune...
    Dang dude, I have to admit I don't know that track. But I'm very ill-versed when it comes to Wayne Shorter. I've got a couple of his albums, but that's about it. I really need to rectify that.

    Thanks for the heads up! I'm listening to it now.

  8. #2583
    Boo! walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland Gardens NY
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post


    There are times, listening to music, when you find yourself brought up short - by a beautiful melody, a special moment of musicianship...

    Today, listening to Wayne Shorter's "etc.", the track Penelope suddenly brought home to me, vividly, just how remarkable Shorter was/is as a composer.

    Obviously, this is no great insight, I'm not saying anything that anyone doesn't already know - but it really did hit home, viscerally, listening at that moment, to that tune...
    Outstanding music.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

  9. #2584
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Dang dude, I have to admit I don't know that track. But I'm very ill-versed when it comes to Wayne Shorter. I've got a couple of his albums, but that's about it. I really need to rectify that.

    Thanks for the heads up! I'm listening to it now.
    I really like this period of Shorter's work. He recorded seven sessions for Blue Note in a short period in the mid-60s, around the time he was also settling in with Miles' Quintet. In these, he's backed by the likes of Herbie, McCoy, Reggie Worknan, Ron Carter, Freddie Hubbard, Tony Williams, Elvin Jones, Joe Chambers amongst others - he was keeping some pretty good company!

    The first set, Juju, is very good. You can pick up five of the next six as a wee five-fer mini box set, in replica cardboard sleeves of the original lp covers, for the price of a single cd. It's an excellent collection - ETC is my favourite, but many cite Adam's Apple as the standout. Soothsayer is also very good, & the only slight drop-off for me is in the final outing, Schizophrenia - by which time, my sense is that he was beginning to feel the pull of the sort of music that Miles was beginning to explore in the final two lp's with his Quintet.

    The other album from this period is The All Seeing Eye. For many, it's the crowing achievement of this era for Shorter - but it's actually a very different beast from all the other sessions. Whilst everything else was recorded in the Quintet format, All Seeing Eye is an Octet. The compositions are more abstract, more angular, & the session feels more in tune with the musical ethos of Coltrane's Ascension, with which it is more or less contemporary.

    To explore these recordings alongside Herbie's own sets for Blue Note & the lp's recorded by Miles' Quintet - all from a short period of four or five years - is to enter a period of astonishing musical creativity.

  10. #2585
    Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    I really like this period of Shorter's work. He recorded seven sessions for Blue Note in a short period in the mid-60s, around the time he was also settling in with Miles' Quintet. In these, he's backed by the likes of Herbie, McCoy, Reggie Worknan, Ron Carter, Freddie Hubbard, Tony Williams, Elvin Jones, Joe Chambers amongst others - he was keeping some pretty good company!

    The first set, Juju, is very good. You can pick up five of the next six as a wee five-fer mini box set, in replica cardboard sleeves of the original lp covers, for the price of a single cd. It's an excellent collection - ETC is my favourite, but many cite Adam's Apple as the standout. Soothsayer is also very good, & the only slight drop-off for me is in the final outing, Schizophrenia - by which time, my sense is that he was beginning to feel the pull of the sort of music that Miles was beginning to explore in the final two lp's with his Quintet.

    The other album from this period is The All Seeing Eye. For many, it's the crowing achievement of this era for Shorter - but it's actually a very different beast from all the other sessions. Whilst everything else was recorded in the Quintet format, All Seeing Eye is an Octet. The compositions are more abstract, more angular, & the session feels more in tune with the musical ethos of Coltrane's Ascension, with which it is more or less contemporary.

    To explore these recordings alongside Herbie's own sets for Blue Note & the lp's recorded by Miles' Quintet - all from a short period of four or five years - is to enter a period of astonishing musical creativity.
    Wow, man... Some really good info here. Thank you for sharing!

    I will be getting to those 60s albums you mentioned. And I’m definitely going to check out All Seeing Eye, as that sounds fascinating.

    The 1960s were incredible years for jazz music (obviously!). I’m still finding stuff from that decade I’ve never heard.

  11. #2586
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Wow, man... Some really good info here. Thank you for sharing!

    I will be getting to those 60s albums you mentioned. And I’m definitely going to check out All Seeing Eye, as that sounds fascinating.

    The 1960s were incredible years for jazz music (obviously!). I’m still finding stuff from that decade I’ve never heard.
    It's really hard to credit - in what amounted to four years, Shorter recorded for Blue Note: Night Dreamer, JuJu (1964); Speak No Evil, The Soothsayer, Et Cetera, & The All Seeing Eye (1965); Adam's Apple (1966); & Schizophrenia (1967)...then, with Miles' Quintet, E.S.P. (1965), Miles Smiles (1966), & Sorcerer & Nefertiti (1967). What makes all of this even more extraordinary, I think, is that he was the primary composer for these recordings by Miles' Quintet - on average, writing around 50% of the material for these four albums.

    During that same period, he also managed to squeeze in sessions as a sideman for recordings by Art Blakey, Lee Morgan, Tony Williams & Bobby Timmons!!

    I'm not fussed for the music he made from the 70s onwards. But he has had a late renaissance with his Quartet over the last 10-15 years or so - Footprints Live!, Alegría, Beyond the Sound Barrier & Without a Net are all essential additions to Shorter's discography.

  12. #2587
    Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    It's really hard to credit - in what amounted to four years, Shorter recorded for Blue Note: Night Dreamer, JuJu (1964); Speak No Evil, The Soothsayer, Et Cetera, & The All Seeing Eye (1965); Adam's Apple (1966); & Schizophrenia (1967)...then, with Miles' Quintet, E.S.P. (1965), Miles Smiles (1966), & Sorcerer & Nefertiti (1967). What makes all of this even more extraordinary, I think, is that he was the primary composer for these recordings by Miles' Quintet - on average, writing around 50% of the material for these four albums.

    During that same period, he also managed to squeeze in sessions as a sideman for recordings by Art Blakey, Lee Morgan, Tony Williams & Bobby Timmons!!

    I'm not fussed for the music he made from the 70s onwards. But he has had a late renaissance with his Quartet over the last 10-15 years or so - Footprints Live!, Alegría, Beyond the Sound Barrier & Without a Net are all essential additions to Shorter's discography.
    Don't miss the 1965 classic Tony William's album Spring - it has the unique lineup of Shorter and Sam Rivers on saxes, Herbie Hancock on piano and Gary Peacock on Bass as well as some truly awesome compositions by Tony.
    4216-anthony-williamss-spring-cover-160up2019.jpg

  13. #2588
    Boo! walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland Gardens NY
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Don't miss the 1965 classic Tony William's album Spring - it has the unique lineup of Shorter and Sam Rivers on saxes, Herbie Hancock on piano and Gary Peacock on Bass as well as some truly awesome compositions by Tony.
    4216-anthony-williamss-spring-cover-160up2019.jpg
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

  14. #2589
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,531
    You bastards are going to cost me money!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  15. #2590
    Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frownland
    Posts
    765
    Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    It's really hard to credit - in what amounted to four years, Shorter recorded for Blue Note: Night Dreamer, JuJu (1964); Speak No Evil, The Soothsayer, Et Cetera, & The All Seeing Eye (1965); Adam's Apple (1966); & Schizophrenia (1967)...then, with Miles' Quintet, E.S.P. (1965), Miles Smiles (1966), & Sorcerer & Nefertiti (1967). What makes all of this even more extraordinary, I think, is that he was the primary composer for these recordings by Miles' Quintet - on average, writing around 50% of the material for these four albums.

    During that same period, he also managed to squeeze in sessions as a sideman for recordings by Art Blakey, Lee Morgan, Tony Williams & Bobby Timmons!!

    I'm not fussed for the music he made from the 70s onwards. But he has had a late renaissance with his Quartet over the last 10-15 years or so - Footprints Live!, Alegría, Beyond the Sound Barrier & Without a Net are all essential additions to Shorter's discography.
    For whatever reason, Footprints Live! doesn't really do it for me, but Beyond The Sound Barrier & Without A Net (as well as the recent Emanon) are all top notch and essential Shorter works that fit perfectly with that early career octet mentioned in the opening of your post (my favorites being JuJu, The Soothsayer, and The All Seeing Eye)
    No humor please, we're skittish.

    Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

  16. #2591
    Funnily enough, it was Footprints Live! that was my "gateway" into Shorter. I caught the Quartet at the New Orleans Jazz Festival, back around 2001/2002, & knew little or nothing about them, other than Shorter's reputation. I didn't figure them out on that occasion, much to my regret - what they were doing just didn't click with me. But I read the positive reviews these records were getting, & tried again. And listening again, they suddenly began to make sense - the feel of the space in the music, the way the musicians wove around each other rather than taking turns to solo, & especially these sublime moments when they're collectively improvising, & the music just "takes off".

    It's wonderful, tracing the emergence of this musical "aesthetic" as it develops across these Blue Note lp's, alongside the albums with Miles (& with Tony Williams!).

  17. #2592
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,531
    Wow, significant Shorter albums on Blue Note are OOP. Oh well, that's what Discogs is for.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  18. #2593
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Wow, significant Shorter albums on Blue Note are OOP. Oh well, that's what Discogs is for.
    The five-fer box-set is still available: https://www.amazon.co.uk/5-Original-...t_mus_ep_dpi_2, as is JuJu https://www.amazon.co.uk/JuJu-Wayne-...t_mus_ep_dpi_3, Speak No Evil https://www.amazon.co.uk/Speak-Evil-...t_mus_ep_dpi_1, & The All Seeing Eye https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00004X0...ing=UTF8&psc=1. By my riffmatik, you could pick up all 8 discs for under £28!!

  19. #2594
    Casanova TCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,515
    NW:


    Pura Vida!.

    There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

  20. #2595
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    3,341


    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

  21. #2596
    I agree that that those Shorter and Hancock Blue Notes are fantastic. The stuff Andrew Hill did around that time (and Bobby Hutcherson's Dialogues, which is closely related) are also awesome.

    Fans of the Shorter/Hancock stuff might also dig Free Form by Donald Byrd. Wayne and Herbie are on it.

  22. #2597
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    3,341


    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

  23. #2598
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,354
    Free Human Zoo



  24. #2599
    Boo! walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oakland Gardens NY
    Posts
    4,255
    Booker Ervin-tenor sax.Pony Poindexter-alto sax,Nathan Davis-flute,Kenny Drew-piano,Jimmy Woode-bass,Edgar Bateman-drums,Ted Curson-trumpet.Brussels May 1966.

    Last edited by walt; 1 Week Ago at 07:05 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

  25. #2600
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,531
    Anyone in the mood for some "new" Coltrane?

    https://www.npr.org/2019/08/16/75151...anadian-direct
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •