Page 13 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

Does anyone own the Mosaic Select set for Tony Williams, which is basically late 80's post-bop mainly acoustic stuff?

Crikey, there's no end to these boxes.....now, a Miles Davis mono box.....

http://www.milesdavis.com/us/news/mi...riginal-albums
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I've been beefing up my collection of earlier Jazz lately, and listening to quite a bit of older stuff....basing my activity on the Penguin Core Collection.

Sometimes I just like to listen to some of that older stuff--it has a sort of infectious joy that sometimes gets buried in the overly-cerebral or "cool and sterile" space of much of post-modern jazz, IMO....

Anyone else ever used the Penguin as a buying/research/collection guide?

I just checked out the Penguin Core Collection page.Mucho great stuff of course.Never seen it before now.
    Last edited by walt; 09-07-2013 at 08:15 AM.

Yeah....Chico Freeman, man....never heard him until recently. A gaping hole in my Jazz Knowledge.....
    And Meade Lux Lewis, speaking of the older stuff!!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The Penguin Core Collection lists the Complete Plugged Nickel box. This seems like overkill. For one thing, it's out of print.

Keep in mind, the last true edition of the Penguin was in 2008, I think...and Jazz CD's go out of print more quickly, and quietly, than Prog CD's, I think! Many of the things on that list have been OOP or in some cases re-released in different versions, even.....

But there is a bit of overkill, I think, on the list in general. Seriously, how much Django does one need? Some of the choices are....strange to my tastes, as well. AEC, for example....some of the later work is more cohesive. There's also a bit of a Brit slant to the whole thing.....or so I think.

But in general, a GREAT resource, and wide-ranging in it's inclusion of various styles.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Yeah....Chico Freeman, man....never heard him until recently. A gaping hole in my Jazz Knowledge.....
    And Meade Lux Lewis, speaking of the older stuff!!
    Been checking out Earl Hines recently.All superlatives apply.

I've been getting into Go Right - Jazz from Poland 1963-75

The Novi singers are great, and it really captures that groovy Euro-fusion sound of the late 60s early 70s.

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I've been getting into Go Right - Jazz from Poland 1963-75

The Novi singers are great, and it really captures that groovy Euro-fusion sound of the late 60s early 70s.

Groovy.

Here's a track from Keyboard Circle-1976 cd,with two Dutch keyboard players, each playing Fender Rhodes and trading off supporting bass on Arp Odyssey,and a drummer."Of its time" electric jazz, but if you dig lots of Fender Rhodes(and I do),this may tickle yer fancy.Pay no attention to the graphic on the screen.There's no horns on this cd, just keyboards and drums.

Last edited by walt; 09-07-2013 at 08:16 AM.

I have that, good un' Walt!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Ornette Coleman Quartet in Paris 1971.Hang on till 4:35 in when Dewey Redman switches to tenor,Ornette's on violin(very soft),Charlie Haden on bass with wah wah, and Ed Blackwell.Folks this is some of the most powerful/beautiful music you'll hear from this(or any) jazz ensemble.Check it out.Enjoy.
    Last edited by walt; 09-08-2013 at 03:37 AM.

^^^^
    I enjoyed that, Walt. Thanks!

Is there something wrong with me that I spend as much time on this thread as the stoner rock one?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Is there something wrong with me that I spend as much time on this thread as the stoner rock one?
    Yes, you've graduated from "prog addict" to "music addict". Club dues are expensive.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

How about Christian McBride? I bought my first copy of Downbeat the other day and he won the award for best bass player. Anyone have any of his stuff?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I have his album Number Two Express. It's a solid modern jazz date featuring great players, but it's never been a favorite. I suppose I'm a bit jaded because this kind of music has been around for several decades and I've heard it all before. I know he has some more fusiony type material as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    How about Christian McBride?
    I have him as a sideman on a few things, but never felt compelled to pick up any of his things as leader. But, about two weeks ago I was in a record store and they were playing his most recent(?) album People Music, with Steve Wilson. I picked it up along with the earlier Number Two Express (with Gary Bartz, Steve Nelson, and Kenny Barron). Both albums are hip.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    My taste doesn't really go much into old, pre WW2 jazz though, can't really relate to Dixieland or old big band stuff. The former is not arranged enough for my taste, the latter is often too arranged and polite.
    For a "happy medium", check out Jelly Roll Morton's Red Hot Peppers, loose and spontaneous, but meticulously organised. And modern.....

I have a bunch of McBride.....Vertical Vision and Sci Fi would appeal, I think, to fusion fans. Family Affair will appeal to soul jazz fans, and anyone who likes it a bit greasy. Number Two Express and his more recent stuff is more straight ahead post Bop...all of it is very good to great, IMO.

I listen to mostly 1955-present stuff, but I've been spending some time with Bix, Tram, Jelly Roll, PHJB, ODJB, and Chris Colyer, as well as Duke's Blanton and pre-Blanton stuff. What's amazing to me is that from the birth of recorded Jazz, say 1920, until 1950--a period of three decades--there was a HUGE change in the nature of this music. Compare New Orleans Rhythm Kings, say, to Parker and Gillespie, or better yet, to the earliest West Coast stuff....and then think about Prog from 1968-1988.

Well, it took him only 30 years, but Uncle Stanley has finally published volume 1 of his Charlie Parker bio. I picked it up today:

http://tinyurl.com/o3hlvae

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Well, it took him only 30 years, but Uncle Stanley has finally published volume 1 of his Charlie Parker bio. I picked it up today:

I'll wait for Vol.2.I'm more interested in reading about Bird in full flight,at the height of his(all too short lived) powers.
    Last edited by walt; 10-02-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Spinning the Complete Dial and Savoy Master Takes now,....Bird Lives!

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post

From what Gary Giddins has said, this is supposed to be THE Bird book. Some serious scholarship. Will pick this up.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I have his album Number Two Express. It's a solid modern jazz date featuring great players, but it's never been a favorite. I suppose I'm a bit jaded because this kind of music has been around for several decades and I've heard it all before. I know he has some more fusiony type material as well.
    Here's a good place to start: Live at Tonic (Ropeadope, 2006). First of three discs is more structured, with his then-kickass band featuring keyboardist Geoffrey Keezer, drummer Terreon Gully (both also of the spectacular Joe Locke / Geoffrey Keezer Group heard on 2006's Live in Seattle and 2012's studio follow-up, Signing, and Gully also the drummer in another vibraphonist, Stefon Harris' great electric band Blackout, heard on 2004's Evolution and 2009's Urbanus), plus saxophonist/flautist Ron Blake. Discs 2 & 3 of this single disc-priced triple are more jammy, with guests violinist Jenny Scheinman (Bill Frisell and, amongst others, her own Mischief & Mayhem group), pianist Jason Moran, guitarists Charlie Hunter and Eric Krasno, trumpeter, Rashawn Ross and turntablist DJ Logic. I prefer the first disc, but the other two definitely have their moments.