Thread: JAZZ Discussion

Got the complete Buddy Rich 46 to 56 and 57 to 62. 10 cds a lot to listen to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Hello Gang!.
    Great recommendations and talk ... as usual !.

Of interest:
    I've been listening to the music/albums of the polish ensamble, a septet nowadays, EABS (Electro-Acoustic Beat Sessions).

The following words summarize their proposal:

“The growth in popularity of jazz music in recent years has been described as a renaissance or new chapter for the genre.

Attracting new audiences has seen a growth in acclaim for international artists including Kamasi Washington & The West Coast Get Down collective or BadBadNotGood.

This resurgence has also been felt within british jazz scene. Musicians such as Yussef Kamaal, Shabaka Hutchings, Ruby Rushton, Nubya Garcia or Moses Boyd have put a new stamp on jazz music by fusing elements of classic jazz with modern sounds.

Polish septet, EABS applies a similar philosophy to their music, blending traditional Polish Jazz with sounds from other genres, thus creating a new and personal interpretation of modern jazz.

EABS have created their unique compositions by employing an approach exercising the idea of “reconstruction from deconstruction” where sampling and looping are merged with jazz improvisations. The injection of hip-hop, jungle, funk, gospel and electronic music add a futuristic tone to the tracks.”
    http://www.eabs.pl/#section-5

- Repetitions (Letters to Krzysztof Komeda).
    https://eabs.bandcamp.com/album/repe...zysztof-komeda

“This album is an analysis of conscientiously selected compositions by Komeda between 1962-1967. EABS explores some of Komeda’s lesser-known compositions featured in ballet etudes, movies, short films, documentaries, animations and compositions illustrating Polish poems recited in German. ”

- Repetitions (Letters to Krzysztof Komeda) Live at Jazz Club Hipnoza (Katowice) ****
    https://eabs.bandcamp.com/album/repe...pnoza-katowice

- Kraksa/Svantetic is the final part of a dedication to Krzysztof Komeda, recorded straight to tape at Radio Opole in Poland featuring Tenderlonious on flute and soprano saxophone.”
    https://22amusic.bandcamp.com/album/kraksa-svantetic

- Video:
    https://youtu.be/TQlw-SEVWOE

Finally, I’m not familiar with their first one:
    - Puzzle Mixtape ... will see! -
    https://eabs.bandcamp.com/album/puzzle-mixtape
    Slavic Spirits is their newst and filled with 100% original material.

"Therefore, in their further musical quest, the band stayed observant of the signs and inspirations from their predecessors from the jazz and big beat era, who paved the way through their willingness to experiment and pursue a unique sound."

https://eabs.bandcamp.com

Nice!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post

This is the title track from the first full album by Graham Costello's Strata. This has quickly become my favourite release from 2019.
    finally got a chance to listen to this...I like it. Greg Ward's is still the top for me thus far into 2019, but this is still very enjoyable. thanks for the heads up
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

- Just for a sunny/windy Sunday morning!l

Good effort by this young argentine guitarist, composer, arranger, teacher and producer that comfirms the great moment of Jazz music in Argentina.

Regards!.
    Cheers for this Tomas....really fantastic ! I get a Metheny ECM vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    You certainly got my attention with this. Any mention of Pat Metheny will always hook me.

Thanks gents.
    Last edited by aith01; 04-05-2019 at 01:31 AM.

^^
    You're welcome my Friends!.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Me too and he also recognizes as influences artists such as Grant Green, Bill Frisell, Jim Hall and Ben Monder, as well as world music, rock and experimental avant-garde.

Cheers!.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

I have recently discovered the Manchester-based tenor sax player Nat Birchall. Sounds Almighty was an inspiring confluence of post-bop blowing with the deep grooves of roots & dub reggae.

In the last couple of days, I've got hold of his earlier release, Akhenaten, which you can listen to &/or buy here:

https://natbirchallmusic.bandcamp.com/album/akhenaten

It's a deeply spiritual recording, evoking the recordings of Alice Coltrane & Pharaoh Sanders from the late 60s/early 70s. Birchall's playing is warm, deep & beautiful throughout.

A recurrent/favorite here …

NW:
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    I have recently discovered the Manchester-based tenor sax player Nat Birchall. Sounds Almighty was an inspiring confluence of post-bop blowing with the deep grooves of roots & dub reggae.

In the last couple of days, I've got hold of his earlier release, Akhenaten, which you can listen to &/or buy here:

https://natbirchallmusic.bandcamp.com/album/akhenaten

It's a deeply spiritual recording, evoking the recordings of Alice Coltrane & Pharaoh Sanders from the late 60s/early 70s. Birchall's playing is warm, deep & beautiful throughout.
    It was on my "wishlist" for some days until yesterday: I really enjoyed too!.

Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

_________________________ Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    A recurrent/favorite here …

NW:
    Anyone who watched American TV in the 70s/80s should recall "- "I'm sure you'll recognize this lovely melody as 'Stranger in Paradise'. But did you know that the original theme is from the 'Polovetsian Dance No. 2' by Borodin?" when they hear the part at 8:30 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Anyone who watched American TV in the 70s/80s should recall "- "I'm sure you'll recognize this lovely melody as 'Stranger in Paradise'. But did you know that the original theme is from the 'Polovetsian Dance No. 2' by Borodin?" when they hear the part at 8:30 or so.
    Hey:
    Thanks Dave for the observation: I didn't realize it but it sounds so familiar with … something …!

Last edited by TCC; 04-12-2019 at 03:50 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Hey:
    Thanks Dave for the observation: I didn't realize it but it sounds so familiar with … something …!

Davis was coaxed into the studio by Larry and Julie Coryell, to whom he had been introduced by his friend Eleana Steinberg. Steinberg's attentions were apparently helping to get Davis off cocaine and alcohol, and he began composing again. These items, on which Davis plays only organ, are just riffs, with the standard flashy excesses of late-1970s fusion. Apparently Davis and/or Steinberg suggested as the title for this tune "Amanaura," but it was copyrighted as "Miss Last Summer." (See the interviews with keyboard player George Pavlis and Eleana Steinberg on George Cole's The Last Miles website.) Davis was very happy with this music, and he wanted Coryell, whom he called "Notes Anonymous" on account of his tendency to play too many notes, to join a band. Coryell wisely declined. Davis was in no condition to play in a band, much less lead one. It would be more than two years before he returned to regular touring.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

Wow, Miles smiles!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Wow, Miles smiles!
    Seconded here. And thanks for the head's up with: George Cole's The Last Miles website.

Deeper Impact: The Miles Davis Podcast is interesting too

I'll bet. I have some Buddy Rich already, but that 46 to 56 is tempting. I remember him well from The Tonight Show.

Anyone know what's the deal with the pre-echo in TCC's #2434? You can hear what Mikkelborg plays before he plays it, in several places.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post

N.W.:
    John McLaughlin & Jimmy Herring: A Meeting of the Spirits : 11/4/17 : The Capitol Theatre Full Show.

- Great musical document IMO!.

Last edited by TCC; 04-19-2019 at 04:27 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Anyone know what's the deal with the pre-echo in TCC's #2434? You can hear what Mikkelborg plays before he plays it, in several places.
    +1
    Really don't know … !
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Guitarist Ben Monder has a new 2 disc CD called "Day After Day." It's all covers and the first disc is solo guitar; second one is trio. As much as I like disc 2, it's the solo stuff that really floored me! Nobody plays solo guitar remotely like Ben and his harmonic concept is astounding; it comes as much from modern classical as jazz. His technique is pretty amazing too; lots of contrapuntal stuff going on. You can hear the whole thing on Bandcamp: https://benmonder.bandcamp.com/album/day-after-day

Thanks for the link. Ernie! I dig his solo playing as well. I wonder if there are any acoustic tracks? That ultra dark electric tone is pretty murky.

Album samples from Ben's website. A couple of acoustic numbers on the trio disc.

http://www.c-marek.de/xmonder/?p=506