Thread: JAZZ Discussion

For Paul Motian fans, the opportunity of a lifetime finally arrives:

http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Motian/dp...t_mus_ep_dpi_1

6 ECM albums in a box for about $40 - not bad! Add the Black Saint/Soul Note box for $30 for another 6.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

6 ECM albums in a box for about $40 - not bad!)
    Not bad at all.I preordered the Motian ECM box a few days ago from Amazon.I'm particularly excited about finally owning Motian's early ECM's on disc,especially Conception Vessel and Tribute,which i had on vinyl but never sprang for on cd.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I have all 6 on CD in the box already, a few of which at the time I was collecting them were not so easy to track down. So this is a great deal for anyone especially missing the last 4 in the box.

A few folks may be interested in this release.Melodic Art-Tet was a group that made the rounds of the NYC free jazz/new music scene in the 70s.Charles Brackeen(sax) and Ahmed Abdullah(trumpet) were co-leaders of this group.As far as i know, they never released any recordings, so this archival session from 1974 may be the group's first. I can't find any clips of this group,so that just whets my appetite for this.I post a link to the page from the online vendor.
    http://www.nobusinessrecords.com/NBCD56.php
    Last edited by walt; 04-20-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Speaking of affordable box sets, I recently purchased the Muhal Richard Abrams Black Saint box, and I can't stop listening to some of this stuff. The large ensemble album, The Hearinga Suite, features some of the greatest music I've ever heard. Fantastic! Here's a link with samples.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-co...e-mw0002425925

AS for Paul Motian, I picked up the Tribute album a while back, and it's a great one! I love the guitars on this album backed up by Charlie Haden's bass playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Speaking of affordable box sets, I recently purchased the Muhal Richard Abrams Black Saint box, and I can't stop listening to some of this stuff. The large ensemble album, The Hearinga Suite, features some of the greatest music I've ever heard. Fantastic! Here's a link with samples.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-co...e-mw0002425925
    The Hearinga Suite is top shelf music,as is Blu Blu Blu.

Amen, Walt! The whole Black Saint/Soul Note box set reissue series is one of the great recent events in the jazz record business. I remember searching fruitlessly for some of these albums back in the 80s & 90s. I never could find the stuff in any stores around upstate NY, with the exception of two Joe Lovano albums.

Muhal is another one that I'd tracked all the CDs from that set down one-by-one about 10 years ago. My faves are View From Within, Mama & Daddy, and Rejoicing With The Light. I'm also a big fan of Family Talk and Song for All which weren't included in the box for whatever reason.

This talk of the great Muhal makes me want to interject that everyone should read George Lewis's book about the AACM:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Stronger...s=george+lewis
    Gary Chapin

French accordion blog: http://www.accordeonaire.blogspot.com

^^^^^ Done and done. A great read. Props to George. Ron Radano's book on Braxton and the AACM, New Musical Figurations: Anthony Braxton's Cultural Critique, is also recommended....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

6 ECM albums in a box for about $40 - not bad! Add the Black Saint/Soul Note box for $30 for another 6.
    Great boxes, both; my review of the ECM Motian box will be published this coming week, for those looking for a little context.

I am totally in the dark. Paul Motian is a complete mystery to me. Should I be getting this? What kind of jazz are we talkin' 'bout here? I love the "ECM sound" - is this similar to that?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I am totally in the dark. Paul Motian is a complete mystery to me. Should I be getting this? What kind of jazz are we talkin' 'bout here? I love the "ECM sound" - is this similar to that?
    Paul Motian is one of the most influential drummers of the late 50's early 60's. His colorful drumming with The Bill Evans Trio is still to this held to one of the highest of standards. He also was the drummer for Keith Jarrett's US quartet during the 70's. Great drummer.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Click on the Amazon link for some samples. There wasn't much on YouTube. I think there's solid material on all the albums and certainly a must buy at that price.

He led a trio with Joe Lovano and Bill Frisell for nearly 30 years when he passed and. From the '70s on he became known as more of a textural drummer, and his first six records for ECM are kinda in three groups of two, stylistically, the final two feeling most in the ECM camp, though I tend to rankle at the term "the ECM sound" because his first four records are on ECM also, and sound totally different, so what exactly do you mean by "the ECM sound"?

Don't mean to be curmudgeonly, and definitely want to encourage you to check out Motian; but that phrase gets used a lot, and usually means something far narrower than the label's 40+ year history has demonstrated - and from the very beginning.

Cheers!
    John

This thread has been great. I find that my listening has really focused for this fortnight. For a while Brad Mehldau dominated my world -- I had first heard of him here on PE. Now I find that I'm focusing on Paul Motian in a way that I hadn't before -- the JMT (Winter and Winter) Live at the Vanguard records are AMAZING. And also Wayne Shorter. Sure I had known about Motian and Shorter before, but I hadn't listened to them so closely and "got" them in this way. So, thanks you all.
    Gary Chapin

French accordion blog: http://www.accordeonaire.blogspot.com

I'm spinning Blu Blu Blu right now, because of this thread. Man, this is a really cool record.

There's a lot of discussion about rock music in the OT forum. Makes me feel like an outsider sometimes. I've got nothing against rock; hell, that's where I came from. The first music I ever got excited about was The Beatles. Then it was on to Hendrix, Cream and Zeppelin. It wasn't too long after that when I discovered jazz. I still dig a lot of different kinds of music, but straight ahead rock 'n roll and blues/rock just doesn't do much for me anymore. The jazz I got into as a young man has had a lot more staying power. Can't help it! So I guess I came to this thread for some sanctuary.

I listened to this album the other night. Still floats my boat!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    There's a lot of discussion about rock music in the OT forum. Makes me feel like an outsider sometimes. I've got nothing against rock; hell, that's where I came from. The first music I ever got excited about was The Beatles. Then it was on to Hendrix, Cream and Zeppelin. It wasn't too long after that when I discovered jazz. I still dig a lot of different kinds of music, but straight ahead rock 'n roll and blues/rock just doesn't do much for me anymore. The jazz I got into as a young man has had a lot more staying power. Can't help it! So I guess I came to this thread for some sanctuary.

I listened to this album the other night. Still floats my boat!
    I heard that, Ernie. Was digging this one last night:

Quote Originally Posted by Planechant View Post
    This thread has been great. I find that my listening has really focused for this fortnight. For a while Brad Mehldau dominated my world -- I had first heard of him here on PE. Now I find that I'm focusing on Paul Motian in a way that I hadn't before -- the JMT (Winter and Winter) Live at the Vanguard records are AMAZING. And also Wayne Shorter. Sure I had known about Motian and Shorter before, but I hadn't listened to them so closely and "got" them in this way. So, thanks you all.
    Brad Mehldau is so subversive and sublime. He was, given his nerdy white guy look, wrongly and superficially thought of as the new Bill Evans (pre-obese, pre-hard core drug addict, early on, thin with Mr. Rogers sweater/Vince Lombardi glasses Evans).

What he does with rock tunes is incredible. Heard his expanded ersion of the Beatles little throwaway dittie, "Blackbird". Wow. Beautiful. It's like what Lou Donaldson said of Charlie Parker: "Charlie Parker plays the tune, whatever he's doing on "All the Things You Are", he's playing "All the Things You Are". Sonny Stitt (and many others) may play a bit of the tune, but then he has to run all his harmonics. And the song is no longer "All the Things You Are" but Sonny Stit's harmonics".

Brad is more Bird than Stitt, in this regard. He's always playing the tune.

Wonder if anyone's paired up, in concert, "Blackbird" with "Bye Bye Blackbird"??

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I heard that, Ernie. Was digging this one last night:
    Sounds great, Mo! Nothing like a super uptempo with "Impressions/So What" changes!

BTW, I played with Chico Freeman a couple of times, WAY back when. I was in Fred Anderson's group when I was 18-19 years old and Chico came by and sat in. He actually started out on trumpet; maybe he wanted to do something different than his dad. He switched to tenor sax while I still knew him. It worked out rather well for him!

FYI,the reissue of John Carter-Bobby Bradford Quartet,Flight For Four(Flying Dutchman Records,1969) is scheduled to be released in a couple of months on International Phonograph,the same folks who brought us Bill Dixon-Intents and Purposes and Julius Hemphill-Dogon A.D.

Hot damn.

Sounds great, Mo! Nothing like a super uptempo with "Impressions/So What" changes!

BTW, I played with Chico Freeman a couple of times, WAY back when. I was in Fred Anderson's group when I was 18-19 years old and Chico came by and sat in. He actually started out on trumpet; maybe he wanted to do something different than his dad. He switched to tenor sax while I still knew him. It worked out rather well for him!

I think they're almost exact except this starts in Cm11 instead of Dm11. The Ebm11 is there for the B though. Either way it kicks ass!

Cool that you worked with Chico, Ernie. This has been my favorite thread on PE for quiet a while.

I played with Chico Freeman a couple of times, WAY back when.
    That's hip, Ernie. I used to see him semi-routinely in NYC back in the "loft" era daze.

Quote Originally Posted by fictionmusic View Post
    I think they're almost exact except this starts in Cm11 instead of Dm11. The Ebm11 is there for the B though. Either way it kicks ass!
    Yeah, it's C-.

Hicks just slays!!!

OK, as the resident dumbfuck on this thread, I will step in it again and ask, who is Brad Mehldau? Acoustic piano? Similar to Evans? I love seminal Bill Evans.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart