Page 85 of 147 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 3675

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

Sonny Rollins - The Bridge.........what a fantastic album! Sometimes jazz just hits the spot and sounds soooo sweet.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Sonny Rollins - The Bridge.........what a fantastic album! Sometimes jazz just hits the spot and sounds soooo sweet.
    Hah! - quite so! - last night, it was Moanin' by Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers, a Blue Note classic, that was doing just that for me.

https://dinosaurband.bandcamp.com/

Wonder Trail, the new lp by Dinosaur - the excellent combo led by Laura Jurd - has just been released.

Initial listens suggest this may very well be a worthy follow-up to their excellent debut release.

Very excited by this! - I caught them on this tour, & they were absolutely on fire.

Oh, sweet mercy. Must have!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    I caught them on this tour, & they were absolutely on fire.
    Lucky dog. This was one of those wish-I-discovered-'em-years-earlier things for me. Don't know if I would have gotten the chance to see them live even then (did they come to the USA much?), but I could have enjoyed the albums for a lot longer. This one definitely looks too good to pass up.

Hah! - quite so! - last night, it was Moanin' by Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers, a Blue Note classic, that was doing just that for me.
    Great, great stuff!

Very excited by this! - I caught them on this tour, & they were absolutely on fire.
    I'm sort of in the dark with EST.....I vaguely recall a Metheny-esque vibe, is that at all accurate? What should I listen to?

My fave is the title track off "Seven Days of Falling" but I don't know if it is truly representative of their style and reach

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I vaguely recall a Metheny-esque vibe, is that at all accurate?
    Probably not really. It was always an acoustic piano trio underneath. They dabbled with some amps/effects (mainly to the double bass) and some electronic drum/beat rhythms toward the end, but nothing I know of that would have gone far enough to sound Metheny-like.

IIRC, they always called themselves "a rock group that also played jazz" or something to that effect. The pieces would have plenty of groove and chords/structures that sounded more like smart rock than conventional jazz, though there was some of that too. The beauty of it was how the mix incorporated so many different things.

What should I listen to?
    This could quickly get in-depth enough to deserve its own thread, but my initial short answer is Viaticum or Tuesday Wonderland.

Under-recognized....

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Wonder Trail, the new lp by Dinosaur - the excellent combo led by Laura Jurd - has just been released.

Initial listens suggest this may very well be a worthy follow-up to their excellent debut release.
    Thx for the heads up... really enjoyed their first and their concert last year.
    Last edited by Trane; 05-05-2018 at 06:00 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I am enjoying the new one. Going to see them next week.

I'm sort of in the dark with EST.....I vaguely recall a Metheny-esque vibe, is that at all accurate? What should I listen to?
    Frankie - do you remember that thing, when you first got sucked into the Canterbury vibe? - or when krautrock first hit your senses?

e.s.t. is going to be *just* like that for you!

They found their feet through a bunch of very good albums, including a set channeling Monk. But, as Jerjo says, Seven Days of Falling is the lp where they just nailed it - & after that, things just kept getting better & better. Again, Jerjo is right to point you towards the title track - but once you're there, hang around for Behind the Yashmak - a stunning 10 minute workout, & the track which, I think, changed the game for piano trios, & for jazz hipsters (this is a good thing, btw!).

There's the beautiful melodies; there's the incredible soloing; there's Berglund's pulsating, driving, bass. But then there's the drums - moving easily from the kind of backing you'd find with Bill Evans in his 1960/61 heyday to more angular Monk-style syncopation, to drum & bass scittering/pulsing. It's this latter groove that opens up their experiments with electronica - which in turn were the launchpad for all the exciting young kids pushing piano trio gigs way beyond what we thought were the confines of jazz.

Pound for musical pound - that gig during their 2005 UK tour, remains probably the single most outstanding musical experience I've ever had (for a bit of context, VdGG are probably my all-time favourite band, & I caught their reunion, an event I thought I would never have the chance to witness, & it was everything I could have hoped for & far more besides - & e.s.t. at around the very same time were even better!).

Frankie - do you remember that thing, when you first got sucked into the Canterbury vibe? - or when krautrock first hit your senses?

e.s.t. is going to be *just* like that for you!
    I always hesitate to predict what experience someone else will definitely have, but that's a good bet. e.s.t. was absolutely that kind of mind-opening discovery for me (and of course many others). Wondrous, thrilling stuff.

that gig during their 2005 UK tour, remains probably the single most outstanding musical experience I've ever had
    I'm trying not to be bitter. The CD got a couple nice raves from John K's outfit already.... seems like it's as superb as we could hope for.

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/est-liv...o-thackara.php
    https://www.allaboutjazz.com/est-liv...-ackermann.php
    Last edited by Spiral; 05-07-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I think this new one, Live In London, is a great entry point.

I personally prefer the later stuff (Leucocyte & 301), but like the others have said, anything after Seven Days Of Falling is pretty much worthy of listening to.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post

IIRC, they always called themselves "a rock group that also played jazz" or something to that effect. The pieces would have plenty of groove and chords/structures that sounded more like smart rock than conventional jazz, though there was some of that too. The beauty of it was how the mix incorporated so many different things.

Interesting. This never came through to me while listening. They are jazz, through and through, in sound.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

We Out Here: A LDN Story

A sort of compilation (none of the tracks are available anywhere else) of a jazz/rock/funk/soul London tribe ala late 60's/70's style, just like we love it. One could speak of retro-JR/F here, but with Afrobeats and hints of Acid-jazz.
    These guys & gals (anywhere between 10 to 15 of them) describe themselves as a multiracial incestuous scene where everyone diddles with anyone and play on their different projects. To my knowledge, only Hutchings and Theon Cross (both are in Sons Of Kemmet) prior to the creation of te project. Only Ezra Collective (two albums out in the last two years) and Joe Armon-Jones have released albums, but things will evolve very quickly, as Joe Armon-Jones released his first album called Starting Today

So far, We Out Here has delocalized to Paris, Berlin and Brussels (where I caught them on this Tuesday & Wednesday) for exhibitions (2 x 2 concerts) that come with a film-screening of the tribe. The whole thing is godfathered by Shabaka Hutchings (he also contributes a track) and made possible through Brownwoods Recordings.

https://weouthere.bandcamp.com/releases

plenty more to check out.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Wow, that e.s.t. is exquisite--wonderful sound and the performance is out of this world. Hope the rest of you get to enjoy it soon if you aren't already.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Interesting. This never came through to me while listening. They are jazz, through and through, in sound.
    Well, you can also tell they were shaped by so many things beyond 'just' jazz. I think that was all they meant.

I'm sort of in the dark with EST.....I vaguely recall a Metheny-esque vibe, is that at all accurate?
    I have a couple of their CDs. They have some Metheny influence along with a heavy dose of Keith Jarrett.

Cat Toren's Human Kind-Soul

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    We Out Here: A LDN Story

A sort of compilation (none of the tracks are available anywhere else) of a jazz/rock/funk/soul London tribe ala late 60's/70's style, just like we love it. One could speak of retro-JR/F here, but with Afrobeats and hints of Acid-jazz.
    These guys & gals (anywhere between 10 to 15 of them) describe themselves as a multiracial incestuous scene where everyone diddles with anyone and play on their different projects. To my knowledge, only Hutchings and Theon Cross (both are in Sons Of Kemmet) prior to the creation of te project. Only Ezra Collective (two albums out in the last two years) and Joe Armon-Jones have released albums, but things will evolve very quickly, as Joe Armon-Jones released his first album called Starting Today

So far, We Out Here has delocalized to Paris, Berlin and Brussels (where I caught them on this Tuesday & Wednesday) for exhibitions (2 x 2 concerts) that come with a film-screening of the tribe. The whole thing is godfathered by Shabaka Hutchings (he also contributes a track) and made possible through Brownwoods Recordings.

https://weouthere.bandcamp.com/releases

plenty more to check out.
    Hola Trane!.
    Nice and thankx for the H.U.!!.
    I´m familiar with the music of Nubya García and the excellent Shabaka Hutchings´ Sons Of Kemmet!.

Love Brownwoods Recordings!.
    https://brownswoodrecordings.bandcamp.com/

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.