Page 60 of 147 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 3671

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I used to know Cyrus when he was a "local" cat in Baltimore. A lovely guy and a good player (particularly for someone who came to the music relatively late), but for me his playing, proficient though it is, is neither here nor there, all the right notes in the right places impressively executed but not really telling me anything. Of course, ymmv.
    Have to agree, but, it works for me too as Mulgrew Miller´s: basically, it depends on the occasion, mood, time and place :-)

Pura Vida!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Grant Green music:

Thankx my friends for the H.U. and the recomendations!!

"Green Street" is great!!
    Tankx Walt!

Next in line:
    "Oleo, Solid & Nigeria", tankx mogrooves!!
    N.P.: (great IMO!)

Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

^^^^^ Yeah! Great rhythm section with the always hip Sonny Clark.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

RIP Charles Davis(tenor/baritone sax).Long time player in Sun Ra Arkestra,also blew with Steve Lacy,Charles Tolliver,Sam Rivers,among others.Caught Davis with Sun Ra and Charles Tolliver way back when.A talented cat.

RIP Dominic Duval(double bass).Played with Cecil Taylor,Joe McPhee,among others.Caught him with Joe McPhee in trio with drummer Jay Rosen.Big sound,great big ears.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Hmm, I had read Duval was in a hospice. RIP to both.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    ^^^^^ Yeah! Great rhythm section with the always hip Sonny Clark.
    Yes good Sir & a pleasent listening too!.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

I haven't been here much this year, so I don't know if this guy has been mentioned, but he's my latest interesting discovery. Eldar Djangirov is a 29 year old Russian born pianist who's family moved to the US when he was 10. I heard his 2009 album, "Virtue," which is a very intense fusion album that showcases his compositional prowess along with some very impressive playing. A little later, I found out that he also frequently plays straight ahead jazz classics and standards. I don't know how these young people grow up to even be interested in jazz in this day and age (let alone excel at playing it), but however that happens, I'm grateful; makes me feel that music's future is in good hands!

The opener (featuring special guest, Joshua Redman) from "Virtue:"

Eldar's trio playing one of bebop's more well know tunes (thanks in part to Jaco's rendition), "Donna Lee:"

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I haven't been here much this year, so I don't know if this guy has been mentioned, but he's my latest interesting discovery. Eldar Djangirov is a 29 year old Russian born pianist who's family moved to the US when he was 10. I heard his 2009 album, "Virtue," which is a very intense fusion album that showcases his compositional prowess along with some very impressive playing. A little later, I found out that he also frequently plays straight ahead jazz classics and standards. I don't know how these young people grow up to even be interested in jazz in this day and age (let alone excel at playing it), but however that happens, I'm grateful; makes me feel that music's future is in good hands!

The opener (featuring special guest, Joshua Redman) from "Virtue:"

Eldar's trio playing one of bebop's more well know tunes (thanks in part to Jaco's rendition), "Donna Lee:"
    Thanks No Pride for the H.U.!
    First time here: like it!

Definitely have to explore more his music, specially his approach to bebop and jazz classics/standards!

Pura vida!!

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    N.P.: (great IMO!)

N.P.:

Grant Green - Matador (1964).
    Great piece of music and superb musicians too: one of his greatest achievements IMO!.

Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Definitely perked up when i saw this listed.

Andrew Cyrille Quartet-Declaration Of Musical Independence, on ECM.Cyrille on drums/percussion,Ben Street-double bass,Bill Frisell-guitar-Richard Teitelbaum-keyboards.

I'm in.

https://www.amazon.com/Declaration-M...e%3A1249114011
    Last edited by walt; 08-02-2016 at 03:23 PM.

A beautifully produced compilation that can serve as a great introduction to the Ra curious, or a brilliant addition/gap filler for the long time fan. Includes a superb booklet including informative essays, detailed track info, musician photos, and a two page color display of 18 Saturn albums. And there are some previously unreleased tracks to spicen the gumbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post

A beautifully produced compilation that can serve as a great introduction to the Ra curious, or a brilliant addition/gap filler for the long time fan. Includes a superb booklet including informative essays, detailed track info, musician photos, and a two page color display of 18 Saturn albums. And there are some previously unreleased tracks to spicen the gumbo.
    Thanks Reid!.

That one plus ... :

Marshall Allen Presents Sun Ra And His Arkestra ‎– In The Orbit Of Ra

"In The Orbit Of Ra is a new collection presented by the longest serving member of the Arkestra and current bandleader, Marshall Allen. Bringing together Sun Ra highights from over 25 years of music, the album is the first internationally released compilation to provide an introduction to the music of Sun Ra, all mastered from the original tapes."

Regards!.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Brazilian saxophonist Livio Almeida can be described as regular an affiliate pianist Arturo O'Farrill's sextet: O'Farrill returns the favor by producing Action & Reaction. Almeida takes center stage here, composing the many tracks and joined by pianist Vitor Gon? alves, bassist Eduardo Belo, and drummer Zack O'Farrill (trumpeter Adam O'Farrill is featured on two selections). Brazilian music (and Latin jazz generally) is definitely a prominent flavor on the program-most notably through the opener "Sambasus" utilizing its samba feel-but this really is a jazz album first, easily normally the one with the greatest "jazz" emphasis through this range of Latin jazz releases. Just about the most memorable tracks is most likely the ballad "Those (not too infant) Eyes," which means the classic Wayne Shorter tune "Infant Eyes" from Speak No Evil (Blue Note, 1966). Almeida brings great energy and a feeling of adventure for this date, joined using a strong band.
    Bar chair has become positively ubiquitous — and for good reason. They allow family, friends and even strangers to join us in the kitchen. Every school night, my sons did their homework sitting on a bar stool at our counter, where they could finagle help whether it was needed or not. Many a night, dear friends would perch on those same stools, keeping us company while we cooked or celebrating together after a touchdown.

Any fans of Klein and Los Gauchos??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Keep in mind now, this post is being made after a really strong double IPA

Who would win in a fight, Miles or Mingus? Yes, Miles has some boxing experience but goddamn, Mingus had a righteous fury in his fists. Also a greater reach.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Mingus had a righteous fury in his fists....
    ...and a rifle.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Sunny Murray had a chair, which he used to bonk Mingus upside his head(so the story goes,according to Sunny).
    Last edited by walt; 08-13-2016 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Mingus had a righteous fury in his fists. Also a greater reach.
    Jimmy Knepper had some thoughts on this, even though he said Mingus gave him more of a backhand smack 'cross the mouth than a punch,per se.Knepper said a tooth or tooth filling was broken by Mingus.Thereby hangs a tale.

Just bought Charles Mingus' Ah Um, and Coltrane's A Love Supreme for $3 per CD at a flea market. The wife and I are dropping off some stuff at the house, eat lunch and then go for a long ride!
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Just bought Charles Mingus' Ah Um, and Coltrane's A Love Supreme for $3 per CD !
    That's what i'd call a hip haul.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post

Any fans of Klein and Los Gauchos??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have his Live In Barcelona CD which I bought for the tune, Richard. I need to spin it again.

Fancy a bit of Istanbul in these troubled times.??

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

maybe not very "jazzy", but definitely brassy

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Just read that Rudy Van Gelder, engineer and studio builder(he started as an optometrist,recording jazz as a hobby), died at age 91.Anyone who owns even a modest collection of modern jazz albums has sessions recorded by Rudy at his New Jersey studios; his well known studio in Englewood Cliffs NJ with its vaulted wooden ceiling was the site of countless classic recordings.

Rudy has stated that when people talk about the vaunted "Rudy Van Gelder sound", they should know that he tried to construct a recording studio in line with what Blue Note founder Alfred Lion thought jazz music should sound like."The Rudy Van Gelder sound was really the Alfred Lion sound."

RIP Rudy Van Gelder.
    Last edited by walt; 08-25-2016 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Just read that Rudy Van Gelder, engineer and studio builder, died at age 91.Anyone who owns even a modest collection of modern jazz albums has sessions recorded by Rudy at his New Jersey studios; his well known studio in Englewood Cliffs NJ with its vaulted wooden ceiling was the site of countless classic recordings.

Rudy has stated that when people talk about the vaunted "Rudy Van Gelder sound", they should know that he tried to construct a recording studio in line with what Blue Note founder Alfred Lion thought jazz music should sound like."The Rudy Van Gelder sound was really the Alfred Lion sound."

RIP Rudy Van Gelder.
    Rudy deserves his own thread. He's as important to jazz history as the most iconic musicians. R.I.P.