Page 42 of 147 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 3675

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I saw him once with Elvin Jones and Gene Perla.
    I picked up this Elvin Jones album last year. Features Perla, Joe Farrell, Frank Foster.

Foster and Farrell on saxes.

Foster on flute.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Another one I listened to recently is Joe Farrell Quartet on CTI records. It's quite accessible, which some may view as a criticism, but I don't. Music doesn't have to be out there or whatever to be enjoyable. http://www.discogs.com/Joe-Farrell-Q.../master/280681
    Not sure I would call Farrell albums "accessible" , especially given that the label CTI was generally very accessible. Farrell's first two or three for the label are as complex as it gets in CTI's catalogue (to the best of my knowledge, anyway)

Personally, I think he was at his most accessible in the first two RTF albums
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I really like this Elvin Jones Album (with Gene Perla and Jan Hammer)

^^^
    Another version of that tune is on the Charlie Mariano album Helen 12 Trees, which also features Jan Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I picked up this Elvin Jones album last year. Features Perla, Joe Farrell, Frank Foster.
    God, do you think there's enough reverb and delay on the saxes?! It makes it almost unlistenable for me... and that's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Better sound for sure! I didn't realize Hammer went back to record with Jones in the post-Mahavishnu days or even that Elvin made albums with electric instruments. Cool!

When I heard Elvin, Farrell and Perla live, it was around the time he made his first album with Farrell (and with Jimmy Garrison on bass), "Puttin' It Together." It came out in '68 and I think I heard them in '69. I was but a keed.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    God, do you think there's enough reverb and delay on the saxes?! It makes it almost unlistenable for me... and that's a shame.
    I like the reverb. It fits the mood of the tune. Not that I would want to hear it all the time. Another good one I picked up is Poly-Currents.

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Mark Murphy 1932-2015

Legendary jazz vocalist Mark Murphy has died in New Jersey after a lengthy illness that kept him from performing since 2012, according to the Associated Press. He was 83.

Manager Jean-Pierre Leduc says Murphy died Thursday at the Lillian Booth Actors Home in Englewood, New Jersey.

Murphy was raised in Syracuse, New York, and graduated from Syracuse University, majoring in Music and Drama. He was discovered at a jam session in Syracuse by Sammy Davis Jr. in 1953.

He was a six-time Grammy Award nominee who sang with a wide range of techniques, from scatting and vocalese to spoken word. He released more than 40 recordings since making his debut with the 1956 album "Meet Mark Murphy."

He was the recipient of the 1996, 1997, 2000, and 2001 Down Beat magazine readers jazz poll for Best Male Vocalist of the Year.

He worked as an actor in London in the 1960s before returning to the U.S., where he recorded highly acclaimed albums for the Muse label including tributes to Jack Kerouac and Nat King Cole.

Murphy continued to tour internationally into his 80s, appearing at festivals, concerts, in jazz clubs and on television programs, throughout the U.S., Europe, Australia and Japan.
    - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/ns/mark-murphy....CwwOpIKg.dpuf

NPR article on the enduring legend of playing at the Village Vanguard:

http://www.npr.org/2015/10/22/450908...llage-vanguard
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I love the Village Vanguard, and go there whenever I'm in NYC.
    In my early twenties friends and I would hop the train down, and hit the jazz clubs--always ending up there at the Vanguard. I've probably been there.....30+ times, by now? That place is steeped in history (and in the smell of decades-old booze and smoke, even though it's a non-smoking place now...the smell still lingers...along with a touch of "basement."

Been to the Vanguard a bunch of times.It's almost like entering a shrine.Knowing that so many giants stood on that stage over the years........you can't help but be awed.
    Last edited by walt; 10-24-2015 at 04:27 PM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Shepp--nice

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post

Any fans of Matt Ulery?

I think he hit it out of the park with his last album "In the Ivory". The music he has been making is highly composed chamber-jazz, but there's a real unique flow of musical storytelling that seems to permeate the work. One would think it would have crossover appeal to prog fans.

https://mattulery.bandcamp.com/

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

^^^ I'm not particularly big on Ulery, but I do dig eighth blackbird's work:

http://www.eighthblackbird.org/recordings/
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Any fans of Matt Ulery?

I think he hit it out of the park with his last album "In the Ivory". The music he has been making is highly composed chamber-jazz, but there's a real unique flow of musical storytelling that seems to permeate the work. One would think it would have crossover appeal to prog fans.
    I liked it! Matt is a Chicago guy and I've heard him play in a couple of bands, but not his own; in fact I didn't know he was a composer. Always enjoyed his upright bass playing though!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    +1

Also, I enjoy this one ... different "beast" ...

Last edited by TCC; 10-30-2015 at 11:41 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Also a big fan. They are one of the more unique avant/free jazz ensembles out there with an interesting story that surrounds their struggles to create this kind of music under a communist state.

They had more synergy as a group than most who dare to pull off such complex improvisational pieces.

My faves and recommendations include:

Catalogue
    Poco-A-Poco
    Ancora da Capo
    Semplice
    and Ttaango... in Nickelsdorf

That 15 year reunion album wasn't too shabby either.
    And then there are 3 fans here... :-) ... great Jay Dee & Poisoned Youth ... I really like all of their albums ... great, great musics!.
    Love Leo Records too ... of course!.

Do you know Ama Jazz? ... another winner IMO ...!

http://www.leorecords.com/?m=select&id=LeoLab_020
    "The most mysterious recording that reached Leo Records' quarters from the Urals (a mountain ridge that separates Europe from Asia). AMA stands for "Association of Musicians of Avant-garde". AMA-JAZZ is a quartet (piano, sax, drums, el.bass) that plays highly charged, powerful, passionate, intuitively structured music. They are of The Ganelin Trio school, and like The Trio in the past they will be compared to the Art Ensemble of Chicago. Total time: 72'33"

Cheers!.
    Last edited by TCC; 10-31-2015 at 12:35 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

A double disc that deserves more attention IMO ... starting with myself: Blues for Tony ****.

Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

N.W.:

Next in line:

Erik Truffas ... The Mask ... great record!!

Ah Via Musicom ... !! (good álbum BTW!!)
    Last edited by TCC; 10-31-2015 at 01:52 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Indeed, though I kind of lost his trace for a few years during the later 00's, Truffaz has been a fave of mine since the later 90's and Out Of Dream, possibly his second album
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Terje Rypdal-guitar and soprano sax;Bjornar Andresen-double bass;Espen Rud-drums.The cd is Min Bul,from 1970.Just received it in the mail yesterday.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    For whatever reason this time of year reminds me of The Pat Metheny Goup, and my favorite album by them (of which there are many) is the self titled Pat Metheny Group with the white album cover. Favorite track may be, Jaco, though I think the whole album is extraordinary. That whole era with American Garage, Wichita Falls, and Offramp is my favorite.
    Damn straight. I only have vinyl and a CD made from the vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    ^^^ I'm not particularly big on Ulery, but I do dig eighth blackbird's work:

http://www.eighthblackbird.org/recordings/
    I like what I'm hearing. Thanks for sharing!
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.