Thread: JAZZ Discussion

Just thought I'd be the 1000th reply on this topic

but on post 1001
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Here's some ECM recommendations from YT. I haven't heard some of these, but it put me in a ECM mood, and also made me aware of a few things to look for.
    I had never heard the Stanley Cowell Trio - Illusion Suite he mentions. I found it on Youtube and it is all over the place and really cool!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    American jazz and Brasilian bossa/samba is a match made in heaven. (Killer Herbie Hancock solo alert)

I can't find my CD copy of this, but it sounds like DeJohnette on drums. Joe Henderson died way too young. But on that tune I could listen to the rhythm section go on and on...

That Stanley Cowell tune is beautiful! I don't have any of his abums, but I've always dug his playing as a sideman.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I can't find my CD copy of this, but it sounds like DeJohnette on drums. Joe Henderson died way too young. But on that tune I could listen to the rhythm section go on and on...
    One of the interesting things about that album is that half of it is Brasilian players and the other half is American players. You're right about Jack DeJohnette and the bass player was Christian McBride. Even if I didn't already mention Hancock, he's not hard to identify. The Brasilian players include Eliane Elias and the late great Nico Assumpcaio on bass.

Joe Henderson died way too young.
    Joe was 64 when he passed away. Not that young, especially when you think about guys like Clifford Brown or Charlie Christian who never made it to 30. But yeah, I wish Joe was still here amongst the living.

I should've grabbed a copy of that Charlie Christian Genius Of The Electric Guitar box when it was in print. It's way too expensive now.

That Stanley Cowell tune is beautiful! I don't have any of his abums, but I've always dug his playing as a sideman.
    Dig Stanley Cowell's achingly beautiful playing on this Marion Brown tune.One of my faves.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Dig Stanley Cowell's achingly beautiful playing on this Marion Brown tune.One of my faves.
    Listening right now. Beautiful indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    I had never heard the Stanley Cowell Trio - Illusion Suite he mentions. I found it on Youtube and it is all over the place and really cool!
    That was pretty cool!

Dig Stanley Cowell's achingly beautiful playing on this Marion Brown tune.
    It was nice, but I can only take rubato (no time) for so long. I know, it's a personal problem.

Great set recorded by Radio Bremen.

loved the Stanley Cowell YT sample

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

This is a fantastic album. Nice choice.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

One of the better legit archival jazz releases of the last few years.Gary Burton Quartet-live-1968, with Larry Coryell,Steve Swallow and Bob Moses.

FYI-Sonny Sharrock-Ask The Ages is (finally) coming out on cd.It was out briefly on cd years ago. My favorite SS record.Sonny on guitar, Pharoah Sanders-sax,Charnette Moffat-double bass and Elvin Jones on drums.My Amazon pre order is in.
    Last edited by walt; 10-18-2015 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Good luck finding this!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

FYI-Sonny Sharrock-Ask The Ages is (finally) coming out on cd.It was out briefly on cd years ago. My favorite SS record.Sonny on guitar, Pharoah Sanders-sax,Charnette Moffat-double bass and Elvin Jones on drums.My Amazon pre order is in.
    I only made it through a few minutes of the Mtume album, but the Sonny Sharrock record I can listen to. Thanks for the heads up, Walt!

A friend and his wife swung by over the weekend and stayed for the night headed up to Arkansas. He burned me a couple of CDs. His taste is hard to describe other than saying diverse. He's not very interested in prog, but listens to some of that along with some 60's music, but also likes jazz, African, world, acoustic, etc.

He gave me a Coleman Hawkins 1946-1947 Classics. I'd never heard of him, except his name, but it's very good.

The Fats Navarro Story - The Beebop Boys. I have a 2 record set of Navarro on vinyl, but this is a worth listen as well, fun stuff.

Fats Waller's Hallelujah! - The Definitive Fats Waller on Stash records. I'd not heard any Waller except for his name, but it's sort of early era piano and music, with some vocals. Different or eclectic for sure.

The Original James P. Johnson--on Asch Recordings - 1942 - 1945 Piano Solos, I'd not heard of this musician, but I like it. Sort of boogie woogie stuff or early jazz/blues. Hard to describe but nice.

The Best of Gabby, Volume II on Hula Records--this took me a bit to get into at least get past the first couple of tracks which are sung in a wobbly Hawaiian dialect, but once you get past that, it settles down and gets better. The music reminds me a bit of something you might hear from Ry Cooder.

The Fats Navarro Story - The Beebop Boys. I have a 2 record set of Navarro on vinyl, but this is a worth listen as well, fun stuff.
    Fats was a badass! You don't hear him mentioned nearly as much as some other jazz trumpet players, but he was one of the greatest. Unfortunately, he was a member of the short life jazz trumpet club along with Clifford Brown and Booker Little. He lived longer than the other two; he made it all the way to 26 years old.
    Last edited by No Pride; 10-19-2015 at 05:45 PM.

He gave me a Coleman Hawkins 1946-1947 Classics. I'd never heard of him, except his name, but it's very good.
    Yeah,"Bean" was a "first line" player.He recorded one of the first unaccompanied sax solos in jazz history in 1948.Quite a forward looking thing to do.

Last edited by walt; 10-20-2015 at 02:51 AM.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

Oh yes! I'm glad I'll be able to get my hands on this one.
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

The Best of Gabby, Volume II on Hula Records--this took me a bit to get into at least get past the first couple of tracks which are sung in a wobbly Hawaiian dialect, but once you get past that, it settles down and gets better. The music reminds me a bit of something you might hear from Ry Cooder.
    Cooder is a fan. Gabby played on his Chicken Skin Music album.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    This is a fantastic album. Nice choice.
    not much merit

I just had discovered it from the YT suggestion after searching for more Cowell tracks.... Loved Mtume in his Archie-Pharoah-Coltrane-McCoy days, and I posted it straight away

For whatever reason this time of year reminds me of The Pat Metheny Goup, and my favorite album by them (of which there are many) is the self titled Pat Metheny Group with the white album cover. Favorite track may be, Jaco, though I think the whole album is extraordinary. That whole era with American Garage, Wichita Falls, and Offramp is my favorite.

Another one I listened to recently is Joe Farrell Quartet on CTI records. It's quite accessible, which some may view as a criticism, but I don't. Music doesn't have to be out there or whatever to be enjoyable. http://www.discogs.com/Joe-Farrell-Q.../master/280681

Another one I listened to recently is Joe Farrell Quartet on CTI records. It's quite accessible, which some may view as a criticism, but I don't. Music doesn't have to be out there or whatever to be enjoyable.
    Some of it is a bit out there:

... and some of it isn't:

... but variety is the spice of life, right?! It's a nice album. Of all of the sax players who double on flute, Joe got the most beautiful sound. I saw him once with Elvin Jones and Gene Perla.