Page 40 of 147 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 3675

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I've got a pretty big swath from ECM (lots of Abercrombie and Rydal), and I'm basically filling in gaps on Coltrane. Walcott, Weather Report and Hancock are all first listens and new entries to the collection... Weather Report and Head Hunters aren't usually what I gravitate toward, but I figured I should fill in some gaps. Both are good, but I'll be slow to explore further in that direction (I guess Mahavishnu is the only other true fusion band I own).
    In that case, I'd highly recommend Herbie Hancock's and Wayne Shorter's (pre-fusion-ish) albums that they made in the '60s. Aside from those two being great improvisers, they were a couple of the best jazz composers during that period when jazz was really evolving and moving away from blues, (I've got) rhythm changes and chord progressions based on tin pan alley standards. I'd also recommend (tenor saxophonist) Joe Henderson's albums during that period, another great player and composer.

Last edited by No Pride; 09-27-2015 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Also a big fan. They are one of the more unique avant/free jazz ensembles out there [...] They had more synergy as a group than most who dare to pull off such complex improvisational pieces.
    Interestingly even their most free sounding material (e.g. Ancora da Capo) was actually composed, but of course once on stage the ensemble always let it loose and flow. That is probably where my Henry Cow connection comes from.

Another thing I love about their music is the theatrical component, which manifests itself in bizarre comedian teases, impromptus and excerpts from popular music of all sorts (think of early Samla Mammas Manna, Area, Gong and some more from Canterbury/post-Cow projects) playfully interwoven into linear music narrative.

I always viewed Ganelin Trio (as well as the aforementioned rock acts) as a sort of the music equivalent of comedia dell'arte. And their performance at London's Purcell Room in 2004 only reinforced my impression; the trio looked a bit as if they came straight from the stage of a Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro's movie...

Here are some more examples of "theatrical jazz", bizarre, playful and mesmerizing:

Joëlle Léandre - "Les Douze Sons" (1983)
    Roof - "Trace" (1997)
    4 Walls - "Which Side Are You On" (2004)
    Simon Nabatov - "A Few Incidences" (2004)

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Coltrane: My Favorite Things
    Coltrane: Giant Steps
    I would suggest branching out along the Dolphy axis:

John Coltrane - "Africa/Brass (Sessions)" (there is a complete 2CD version)
    John Coltrane - "Live In Stockholm '61" (available recently in "So Many Things: European Tour 1961" box - mind the year!)
    Eric Dolphy - "At The Five Spot" (2CD complete edition with all officially released recordings is worth consideration)
    Charles Mingus - "At Antibes"
    Charles Mingus - "Town Hall Concert '64" (not to be confused with earlier recording at the same place)

All-killer, no-filler.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    I would suggest branching out along the Dolphy axis:

John Coltrane - "Africa/Brass (Sessions)" (there is a complete 2CD version)
    John Coltrane - "Live In Stockholm '61" (available recently in "So Many Things: European Tour 1961" box - mind the year!)
    Eric Dolphy - "At The Five Spot" (2CD complete edition with all officially released recordings is worth consideration)
    Charles Mingus - "At Antibes"
    Charles Mingus - "Town Hall Concert '64" (not to be confused with earlier recording at the same place)

All-killer, no-filler.
    I can't dispute that!

Related to the earlier Woody Shaw discussion: I listened to McCoy Tyner's "Expansions" for the first time in decades last night. I forgot about this tune and how much I dig it:

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Oh no, another great gone. I saw him with a quintet circa late '70s or early '80s. The long gone venue was connected to a hotel often frequented by business convention attendees and Phil was clearly unhappy with the crowd, but he still sounded great. R.I.P.

William Parker, where's a good place to start? I don't have anything, so just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    William Parker, where's a good place to start? I don't have anything, so just curious.
    He's got a pretty huge discography going back 40 years, and I'm a bit of a fanboy, but for starters maybe try:

(a) one album from In Order To Survive, his late 90s/early 00s quartet with Rob Brown, Cooper-Moore, and Susie Ibarra.

(b) one album from his current quartet with Brown, Lewis Barnes, and Hamid Drake.

(c) one album from his large ensemble project, the Little Huey Creative Music Orchestra.

The Aum Fidelity label has put out stuff from all three.

Turned on my NPR music station in the car yesterday. New World Cafe was playing Steely Dan's "Doctor Wu" followed by Paul Simon's "Have a Good Time". That's a bit mainstream for them and then David explained, both tracks had sax solos by Phil Woods.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    (a) one album from In Order To Survive, his late 90s/early 00s quartet with Rob Brown, Cooper-Moore, and Susie Ibarra.
    I recommend double live "Peach Orchard", with Assif Tsahar guesting on bass clarinet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8P5AW9BdMU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFpxDF2tqxs

(b) one album from his current quartet with Brown, Lewis Barnes, and Hamid Drake.
    Here excellent "O'Neal's Porch" is no-brainer - it is the first (and arguably the best) studio album of this lineup.

(c) one album from his large ensemble project, the Little Huey Creative Music Orchestra.
    I suggest starting with double live "Mayor of Punkville".

Now enter my recommendations:

(d) Leena Conquest-fronted ensembles

Singer-songwriting collaboration between the vocalist and William started with the excellent "Raining on the Moon", then yielded Curtis Mayfield's and Duke Ellington's songbook projects (three live albums altogether), then another studio album ("Corn Meal Dance") and finally the Vermeer song series (included in the recent "For Those Who Are, Still" box). Get the first album and the Vermeer recordings, both are incredibly strong, and then if you dig them check everything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sz9G0xBnl4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGJ0TnKOVc8

(e) Universal Tonality recordings

For the moment we got only two sessions, live "Double Sunrise over Neptune" by a 16-piece orchestra and "Red Giraffe with Dreadlocks" by an octet (also in the "For Those Who Are, Still" box). Both must-haves and hopefully there is even more in the pipeline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJwXbFuvfcw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-BG1uBF-Jc
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 10-07-2015 at 11:40 AM.

Ok, thanks for the Parker recommendations, I'll look into him. I know he's got quite a bit of stuff out there so finding some point of where to begin looked a bit overwhelming. They have some of his music on Amazon, but not all of it. I assume some of it is deleted? I was watching a YT video the other day, and one of the people in the vinyl community recommended a limited 2-lp release by him. William Parker Quartet: http://www.discogs.com/William-Parke...elease/1536467

I thought it looked interesting, and wondered what it might sound like although the poster or vlogger mentioned that it was not typical of his other stuff.

Here's a NPR review of the albums too: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=95690977 There's a few sound bytes on it too.
    Last edited by hippypants; 10-07-2015 at 11:34 AM.

Palm of Soul w/ Jordan, Drake, and Parker. This sounded pretty good: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

Here's some ECM recommendations from YT. I haven't heard some of these, but it put me in a ECM mood, and also made me aware of a few things to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    In that case, I'd highly recommend Herbie Hancock's and Wayne Shorter's (pre-fusion-ish) albums that they made in the '60s. Aside from those two being great improvisers, they were a couple of the best jazz composers during that period when jazz was really evolving and moving away from blues, (I've got) rhythm changes and chord progressions based on tin pan alley standards. I'd also recommend (tenor saxophonist) Joe Henderson's albums during that period, another great player and composer.

JuJu and Speak no Evil also.

Tyner: Focal Point and Fly with the Wind. Two very different albums.

Speaking of Wayne Shorter (who I love), ya gotta checked out Dave Liebman Big Band tribute:

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Speaking of Wayne Shorter (who I love), ya gotta checked out Dave Liebman Big Band tribute:
    Nice! Love Shorter and Lieb; that's an album I could sink my teeth into (not literally)!

Beautiful tune and arrangement with a tasty guitar solo.

Beautiful tune and arrangement with a tasty guitar solo.

Nice, but is bossa nova considered jazz? I guess it' a form of jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Nice, but is bossa nova considered jazz? I guess it' a form of jazz.
    I don't worry about that stuff. But there's long been a mutual admiration among jazz players and Brazilian musicians.

I don't worry about that stuff. But there's long been a mutual admiration among jazz players and Brazilian musicians.
    Bossa Nova is heavily influenced by American jazz, at least harmonically. In turn, a lot of jazz musicians have been influenced by bossa, samba and other Brasilian music; Pat Metheny and Chick Corea, to name but a few.

The founders of Bossa were huge Jazz fans for sure...Sinatra was the hero of both Jobim and Gilberto.

"And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    The founders of Bossa were huge Jazz fans for sure
    American jazz and Brasilian bossa/samba is a match made in heaven. (Killer Herbie Hancock solo alert)

Epic album, Ernie...love it.

"And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."