Page 3 of 147 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

Joe Chambers is primarily known as a jazz drummer,but also is a gifted composer and sometime pianist.Chambers recorded a session with organ player Larry Young in 1978 titled Double Exposure,which i've dug from the first time it was played for me.Joe Chambers plays piano(with a dash of electric piano and synth) and some percussion,Larry Young is on organ throughout.This track is my favorite,Mind Rain.Enjoy.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Polish jazz has a tradition of great performers...

My latest discovery

Lloyd McNeill on flute,from the cd Asha.The tune is St.Margaret's Church.

Marion Brown-alto sax,from his ESP date, Why Not.The tune is La Sorella-with Stanley Cowell-piano,Norris Jones(Sirone)-bass,and Rashied Ali-drums.

Last edited by walt; 03-11-2013 at 08:33 AM.

Another Polish Jazz from past Laboratorium...if you do not have it do yourself a favour and get them both; Modern Pentathlon and Quasimodo

Another gem from Czech jazz

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Also, to be the first to ask for knowledge:

I've been trying to find very aggressive (visceral/loud/noisy/fiery) free jazz for quite sometime. The first album I bought in this style was Brotzmann's Machine Gun. It was like being hit with a brick in the face repeatedly. It was magic. Unfortunately, nothing since has quenched my thirst for such things quite like MG. Many things felt so...tame after listening to MG. Either lots of introspective/quiet breaks, or just not as enduringly intense as I hoped for. The closest thing I've found is some live video of Last Exit (which of course features the Brotzs). So, jazz loving populace of PE, I turn a hungry ear to you...what can you recommend for me of this ilk?

(Note: I've heard the following: Coltrane's Ascension [and other wilder bits], Coleman's Free Jazz, Ayler's Spiritual Unity, Last Exit, various Weasel Walter projects (including The Flying Luttenbachers which do come close as well, even if not really jazz) & The Thing [including some other Mats G. stuff]. However, please feel free to recommend anything even if it seems obvious)

Many thanks.
    It's not 100% jazz per se, but it sounds like you'd be into the early Naked City albums, especially the first one.

Also, despite your preference against dynamic variety, I'd recommend the earlier Pharaoh Sanders albums on Impulse (Karma, Deaf Dumb Blind)

There's a fairly recent album by Joe Morris called Wildlife (on which he plays bass, not his usual electric guitar) in a trio format (with a sax and drums) that should be right up your alley.

It's not as visceral or intense as Brotzmann, but there are a few Steve Lacy albums that might interest you. "Two, Five, Six, Blinks" is a good place to start with him, for this kind of thing. I have to get a plug in for Lacy here, since I think he's one of the most underrated jazz figures.

The ultimate energy blast. John Zorn and Tim Berne's "Spy vs. Spy." First time I saw this, David Sanborn was along for the ride.

Gary Chapin

French accordion blog: http://www.accordeonaire.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post

I'd recommend the earlier Pharaoh Sanders albums on Impulse (Karma, Deaf Dumb Blind)
    I'd add Tauhid to that list.

but there are a few Steve Lacy albums that might interest you. "Two, Five, Six, Blinks" is a good place to start with him, for this kind of thing. I have to get a plug in for Lacy here, since I think he's one of the most underrated jazz figures.
    I agree about Lacy being an underrated jazz figure.I went from digging and buying every Lacy lp i could get my hands on,and seeing Lacy live in NYC(solo,duet,trio,quartet)to finding Lacy too dry and cold and stayed away from his recordings for many years,then upon Lacy's death i started to get into him again.

The Lacy cds i reach for when the mood strikes me are his solo work from 1974,on Weal and Woe(Emanem) and the quintet session from 1972 ,The Gap(America).I have a couple of other Lacy cds that i'll play once in a blue moon.

I always dug Steve Potts(alto/soprano sax), Lacy's sidekick in his group for many years.Too bad i never see any recordings from Steve Potts.Wonderful player.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    David Gilmore - Numerology - Live at Jazz Standard

This is right out of Steve Coleman's playbook. I just recently got this as I didn't even know it was released, but it's risen to perhaps my favorite album of the year. Gilmore takes a surprisingly back seat role through much of this recording.

Checking into some more clips from this...
    Wow! What a smoking group!

I guess these have been out for a couple of years, but I just found out about it yesterday.
    Some great releases by Air, Walt Dickerson, Richard Abrams, etc. Amazon has samples for
    most of the albums.

Candid's Why Not Series

http://www.candidrecords.com/index.php?cPath=41

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I guess these have been out for a couple of years, but I just found out about it yesterday.
    Some great releases by Air, Walt Dickerson, Richard Abrams, etc. Amazon has samples for
    most of the albums.

Candid's Why Not Series

http://www.candidrecords.com/index.php?cPath=41
    Yeah, i have a few of these;both Air's,both Walt Dickerson's,Donald Smith-Luv and Monty Waters-The Black Cat.

Good stuff.

Ornette Coleman's early period especially the awesome This Is Our Music and the Golden Circle Stockholm albums.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    Polish jazz has a tradition of great performers...

My latest discovery

very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Planechant View Post
    The ultimate energy blast. John Zorn and Tim Berne's "Spy vs. Spy." First time I saw this, David Sanborn was along for the ride.

a big fan of that stuff and the David Gilmore Numerology ens.. One thing I love about the latter is the funky drums and pseudo-modal harmony mix up. I personally don't mind swing and hard bop grooves nor find them old-fashioned, but I especially like the bag of rhythmic tricks expanding to include all these styles. It is a very exciting time for jazz right now.

some other guitarists I have been liking lately:

The Mary Halvorson Trio.

and her quintet from the engaging Saturn Sings album

and someone I happen to find fascinating:

I have been re-visiting Ornette's '60s stuff and really digging it

and especially

I can't remember who posted the Jimmy Guiffre trio stuff last thread (Walt?) but I have invested quite a few hours on that stuff lately.

Quote Originally Posted by fictionmusic View Post

I can't remember who posted the Jimmy Guiffre trio stuff last thread (Walt?) but I have invested quite a few hours on that stuff lately.
    Yeah,that was me.Glad you're digging it.Some deep and rewarding music was made by these three men.Wish i had seen them live back in the days.

While we're on the subject of Ornette Coleman,a couple of other clips that make me smile....

Thanks! Never heard of [Charles Gayle] before. Looking forward to it.
    Also, Frank Wright, Frank Lowe, and Joe McPhee, all tenor n-r-g cats.....
    Last edited by mogrooves; 03-11-2013 at 08:34 PM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

The piano solo is also by Jack.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Planechant View Post
    Energy music question: David Ware and Charles Gayle are great suggestions. Can't remember if you mentioned Albert Ayler ... the reigning saint of the form. Sonny Sharrock, of course.

I know Ayler from Spiritual Unity (and I recently ordered At Slug's Saloon). Sharrock I know through Last Exit...I've heard his solo album Ask The Ages which was great, but not exactly what I'm looking for. Any specific SS albums to check out??

And thanks for the SVS link. I'll listen to it when I can.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

It's not 100% jazz per se, but it sounds like you'd be into the early Naked City albums, especially the first one.

Also, despite your preference against dynamic variety, I'd recommend the earlier Pharaoh Sanders albums on Impulse (Karma, Deaf Dumb Blind)

There's a fairly recent album by Joe Morris called Wildlife (on which he plays bass, not his usual electric guitar) in a trio format (with a sax and drums) that should be right up your alley.

It's not as visceral or intense as Brotzmann, but there are a few Steve Lacy albums that might interest you. "Two, Five, Six, Blinks" is a good place to start with him, for this kind of thing. I have to get a plug in for Lacy here, since I think he's one of the most underrated jazz figures.
    I have Naked City's debut and it is excellent indeed. The grindcorey pieces in the middle do have that intense quality I like (though are damn short, even in total).

I've heard Sander's Karma, and it is wonderful. TCHAMP is 30+ mins are enjoyment. A classic in the field for sure. I haven't really investigated him further, so thanks for the other rec. The other two are completely new names to me so the adventure continues there. Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I'd add Tauhid to that list.
    Thanks! Noted.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Also, Frank Wright, Frank Lowe, and Joe McPhee, all tenor n-r-g cats.....
    The samples I heard of Gayle all smell like winners. I will definitely be buying some albums.

McPhee is a name I recognize from the album Guts with Brotzmann. F Wright also sounds familiar but I can't place it. Either way...all will be added to my list. Many thanks.

Any specific SS albums to check out??
    Black Woman
    Machine Gun (with Tom Chapin)
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

. Any specific SS albums to check out??
    Guitar.

Solo electric guitar cd with some overdubs.Here's a track from the Guitar cd,titled Black Bottom.

Last edited by walt; 03-12-2013 at 09:08 AM.