Page 36 of 147 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    Don't remember if this artist has been mentioned yet, but excellent stuff....Kamasi Washington - 'Re Run Home' from the album "The Epic"
    Ernie and I went back and forth on this one some pages back. Evidently, Washington is front & center in a re-vitalized scene in L.A.

NP: Thomas Chapin Trio - Night Bird Song
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Ernie and I went back and forth on this one some pages back.
    We did? I don't remember that; was I the antagonist?

NoBusiness jazz label is releasing a(2cd) 1977 John Carter trio session, first time on cd.Echoes From Rudolph's, released originally on John Carter's own label,will be supplemented by a KPFK radio session from 1977.A link to order the cd is provided below.

John Carter on clarinet and soprano sax;Stanley Carter on acoustic bass;William Jeffrey on drums;Melba Joyce on vocals on one track.Same lineup on the KPFK session,afaik.

http://www.nobusinessrecords.com/NBCD80-81.php
    Last edited by walt; 08-28-2015 at 12:16 PM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

This pianoplayer is a genius - Carsten Dahl

I just bought 4 of his soloalbums today.

Just received this cd in the mail and i'm digging it.Skyline Trio-Sun Moee(i have no idea what a "moee" is).Thomas T.Dahl on electric guitar, Mats Eilertsen on double bass and Olavi Louhivuori on drums.They're out of Norway,the drummer is Finnish.Pleasant stuff,nothing very heavy or profound,just nice tunage,in an early ECM kinda vibe.So far, it's a winner for me.
    Here's a track from the cd.

Last edited by walt; 08-28-2015 at 01:58 AM.

Carsten Dahl improvises. He is a jazzpianist but has also recorded Bachs Golberg variations with prepared piano (also used here from the 21'th minute).
    His soloconcerts are usually completely improvised, never the same. He says he doesnt really know what his fingers are playing.

If you think its too quiet, jump to th 8'th minute, and hang in there until at least the 16'th minute. The sound could be better, but the music...and his technique !!

http://www.carstendahl.dk/

Who is http://www.tiger-music.com/da/carstendahl
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 08-28-2015 at 12:51 PM.

Wayne Krantz, from his first album, "Signals" (1990). I don't think I've ever heard anybody approach solo guitar quite like this:

New Ben Monder album - on ECM even, and featuring some recordings with Paul Motian. Oct. 30th.

Ben Monder: electric guitar, electric baritone guitar
    Pete Rende: synthesizer
    Andrew Cyrille: drums, percussion
    Paul Motian: drums

Guitarist Ben Monder first recorded for ECM as a member of the Paul Motian Band on Garden of Eden in 2004, and Amorphae was originally conceived as a series of duets for Ben and Paul. A first exploratory duo session was recorded in 2010. After Motians death the following year it was decided to expand and complete the project with another highly influential and innovative drummer, Andrew Cyrille, adding also Pete Rende on synthesizer on two pieces.

So here we hear Monder solo, in duo with Motian, in duo with Cyrille, and in trio with Cyrille and Rende. This range of expressive options casts light upon Monders musical concepts and their adaptability. A guitarists guitarist, Monder is also a master of texture and unusual voicings, creating what one reviewer has called detailed sonic landscapes of mystery and power.

All the music on Amorphae is his, apart from, Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin, the Rodgers & Hammerstein chestnut from the musical Oklahoma!, performed here by Monder and Motian.

Tracks 2, 6, 8 recorded October 2010 at Sear Sound by James A. Farber
    Tracks 1, 3, 4, 5, 7 recorded December 2013 at Brooklyn Recording by Rick Kwan
    DDD
    Produced by Sun Chung
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    New Ben Monder album - on ECM even, and featuring some recordings with Paul Motian. Oct. 30th.

]
    Cool business. I'm in.Thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by walt; 08-30-2015 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Just received this cd in the mail and i'm digging it.Skyline Trio-Sun Moee(i have no idea what a "moee" is).Thomas T.Dahl on electric guitar, Mats Eilertsen on double bass and Olavi Louhivuori on drums.They're out of Norway,the drummer is Finnish.Pleasant stuff,nothing very heavy or profound,just nice tunage,in an early ECM kinda vibe.So far, it's a winner for me.
    Yeah, good stuff. Thanks for sharing. That Hubro label has been releasing some interesting stuff, mixture of jazz, post-rock, noise, improv, folk, soundscapes, etc., with some recognizable ECM names and others predominantly from Norway. They may eventually emerge as a companion for Rune Grammofon.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

. That Hubro label has been releasing some interesting stuff, mixture of jazz, post-rock, noise, improv, folk, soundscapes, etc., with some recognizable ECM names and others predominantly from Norway. They may eventually emerge as a companion for Rune Grammofon.
    Agreed.I have Hakon Stene-Lush Laments For Lazy Mammal on Hubro.Kind of cinematic, meditative soundscapes.Relaxed and relaxing music.Definitely isn't jazz.

Hubro's yet another label putting out interesting music. There are so many.
    Last edited by walt; 08-30-2015 at 01:33 PM.

Sounds promising! Ben Monder is a ridiculously talented and highly unique artist; I'll listen to anything he puts out.

While still on a guitar roll... Adam Rogers is a MF!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Sounds promising! Ben Monder is a ridiculously talented and highly unique artist; I'll listen to anything he puts out.
    Cool! Hopefully the ECM record will give him a higher profile. And with two great drummers too!

Adam Rogers led me to this:

I saw Chris Potter once with Graig Taborn and Wayne Krantz, and Potter got me ! Its not often I dig sax as much as guitar, or even more !
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 08-30-2015 at 03:57 PM.

I only had one Ben Monder cd, Flux, until recently, when i bought Oceana.What a superb album Oceana is.Silly me for being late to the game.What matters is, i have it now, and it's the real deal.Been loving this track especially.

Awesome music in an interesting docu about Chris Potters Underground.

I went through a jazz phase in the early 70s. My brother had some jazz records and I'd play them occasionally. One album he had was Herbie Mann Live At The Village Gate. Somehow I latched on to Herbie Mann and bought some of his contemporary albums - Memphis Underground, and Push Push. I've always liked flute in jazz. The only other jazzbo I've ever been interested in (not counting all the fusions cats) is Dizzy Gillespie. I have a couple of his albums, my favorite being "Afro-Cuban Jazz Moods" with Machito: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Cuban_Jazz_Moods

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Dizzy Gillespie. I have a couple of his albums, my favorite being "Afro-Cuban Jazz Moods" with Machito: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Cuban_Jazz_Moods

+1.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I saw Chris Potter once with Graig Taborn and Wayne Krantz, and Potter got me ! Its not often I dig sax as much as guitar, or even more !
    Chris Potter is a heavy; for me, he's the most exciting tenor sax player since Michael Brecker! He played on a friend of mine's album, pianist/composer Steve Million. I saw him play with Steve and his band at the CD release party; only time I've seen him thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I went through a jazz phase in the early 70s. My brother had some jazz records and I'd play them occasionally. One album he had was Herbie Mann Live At The Village Gate. Somehow I latched on to Herbie Mann and bought some of his contemporary albums - Memphis Underground, and Push Push. I've always liked flute in jazz. The only other jazzbo I've ever been interested in (not counting all the fusions cats) is Dizzy Gillespie. I have a couple of his albums, my favorite being "Afro-Cuban Jazz Moods" with Machito: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Cuban_Jazz_Moods
    Charlie Parker made an album with Machito too, called "The Latin Bird."

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Chris Potter is a heavy; for me, he's the most exciting tenor sax player since Michael Brecker!
    Word !

double Word. Chris is the Shizznit. I've seen him twice. The guy is an inexhaustible well of melodic invention, at high speed. And funky!

^^
    +3!.

Somehow, Dexter Gordon & Kenny Drew & Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen trio shows up ... sweet!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Stumbled across an awesome documentary about Buddy Rich on Youtube...

Buddy Rich - Jazz Legend

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoFAiiHMhDA
    Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg15mruZDzY

I like big band jazz. At some point I need to get some of his recordings. The guy was a killer. Currently watching the epic performance of West Side Story.

Speaking of Adam Rogers, he used to play in the NY fusion band Lost Tribe alongside David Binney and David Gilmour, not the Pink Floyd DG.

Always loved this tune:

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Speaking of Adam Rogers, he used to play in the NY fusion band Lost Tribe alongside David Binney and David Gilmour, not the Pink Floyd DG.

Always loved this tune:

+1
    "Soulfish" is my favorite Lost Tribe`s album.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.