Page 24 of 147 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

For anyone who's interested, those great 70s Hermeto Pascoal albums that were selling for ridiculous prices, are now available for a song at CD Japan. 8.50 each. http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/products?q=hermeto+pascoal

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    For anyone who's interested, those great 70s Hermeto Pascoal albums that were selling for ridiculous prices, are now available for a song at CD Japan. 8.50 each. http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/products?q=hermeto+pascoal

WOW!!!! Thanks, Reid, for this. All five purchased. I've been looking for these for, well, decades...
    Thanks again!
    John

Cool! Wish I wasn't always so broke this time of year. The only one of those I have is "Live at Montreux," though I have a couple from this millennium.

I just saw Hiromi with Anthony Jackson and Steve Smith (Vital Information) a couple weeks ago -- they were fantastic.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Cool! Wish I wasn't always so broke this time of year. The only one of those I have is "Live at Montreux," though I have a couple from this millennium.
    I wish somebody would release the Montreux performance on DVD. I know it's on film. Anyway, I picked up the album, Festa Dos Deuses. It's up on YouTube, and it sounds great! There's also a rare 1972 big band album up there that I never heard of. It was recorded for the Muse label. The arrangements are slightly dated, but there's some beautiful music here.

Last edited by Reid; 11-25-2014 at 10:45 AM.

It was recorded for the Muse label. ]

Man, there were so many noteworthy sessions recorded for Muse that still haven't seen the light of day on cd.Some were briefly available on the 32Jazz reissue label,but these are hard to find,afaik.For example, to name just two....

Joe Chambers(with Larry Young)-Double Exposure
    Creative Construction Company-CCC-Volumes 1 and 2......lots more
    Last edited by walt; 11-25-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Yeah! The late Joel Dorn re-issued a bunch of great stuff on 32Jazz. A few years back, Dusty Groove got hold of a bunch of the original CDs they were selling for 5 bucks. I picked up a few by Kenny Barron, James Spaulding, and Jimmy Heath.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk View Post
    I just saw Hiromi with Anthony Jackson and Steve Smith (Vital Information) a couple weeks ago -- they were fantastic.
    Hmmm, Simon Phillips must be off playing with some other band. But Smith is hardly a slouch; I'm sure it was great!

I saw her Sonic Bloom band do two sets a few years ago and it was a blast! Hiromi's one of the few jazz/fusion artists that are as fun to watch as they are to listen to.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    There's also a rare 1972 big band album up there that I never heard of. It was recorded for the Muse label. The arrangements are slightly dated, but there's some beautiful music here.
    It doesn't say anything about Muse, but this seems to match up:
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/hermet...t-mw0000860899

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Hmmm, Simon Phillips must be off playing with some other band. But Smith is hardly a slouch; I'm sure it was great!

I saw her Sonic Bloom band do two sets a few years ago and it was a blast! Hiromi's one of the few jazz/fusion artists that are as fun to watch as they are to listen to.
    Yeah, I'd love to see Sonic Bloom, but I was in the mood for the kind of more traditional piano trio instrumentation and composition that she was playing that night, so I was not disappointed.

And yes, he was fantastic too. Reminds me, I need to go off and look up Vital Information -- I've heard them recommended to me before, but never got around to checking them out, I don't think.

Speaking of trad. piano trio, Tidal has me listening to GoGo Penguin right now, and I'm really digging it.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    It doesn't say anything about Muse, but this seems to match up:
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/hermet...t-mw0000860899
    It was a Muse release.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    It was a Muse release.

I wasn't denying that it was a Muse release, but the allmusic link I provided seems to be the same album, and it provides a bunch of credits.

I would have guessed CTI, myself. Anyway, I've never seen the LP or CD.

Gary Bartz - Does Jazz Education Have It Backwards?

Sounds right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Gary Bartz - Does Jazz Education Have It Backwards?

Sounds right to me.
    Damn straight.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    A bump for recommendations...

Recently I've been enjoying these Black Saint/Soul Note box sets that are getting released. I have the Anthony Braxton, Cecil Taylor, & Sun Ra ones, and was curious if people could give opinions on the Ed Blackwell, Andrew Cyrille, Muhal R Abrams sets. (I suppose it's more based on the discs inside the sets than the actual sets themselves) Any others that would pique my interest (given the other artists I"ve queried about here)??

Thanks.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Muhal Richard Abrams is superb! Lots of diversity from free, to progressive big band, and some blues. Also love the Steve Lacy. Will be grabbing the new Lacy set eventually. I would buy a few more, but it's pointless. I have no time to listen to all this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Ed Blackwell, Andrew Cyrille, Muhal R Abrams sets. Any others that would pique my interest (given the other artists I"ve queried about here)??
    The Blackwell is required, the Cyrille is worth it for Metamusicians' Stomp alone (and look for What About as well), and the Abrams is hip, but you need Young At Heart/Wise In Time and Levels and Degrees of Light.

Hemphill, Murray, Lewis, Waldron, Pullen, Adams, and Lake should go on your wish list
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

ECM is releasing a Jack DeJohnette session,Made In Chicago, in March.Muhal Richard Abrams, Roscoe Mitchell,Henry Threadgill,Larry Grey(a Chicago based double bass player)and DeJohnette are on board.

Sounds promising.
    Last edited by walt; 12-19-2014 at 08:38 AM.

Joe Harriott-Amancio D'Silva Quartet-Hum Dono. This 1969 session is finally out on cd, and its about fucking time.Harriott on alto sax,D'Silva on guitar, Dave Green-bass,Bryan Spring-drums.Norma Winstone on vox on a few tracks, Ian Carr on flugelhorn on a couple of tracks. Here's a cut from Hum Dono.Out on Dutton Vocalion records, who usually do reissues well.My copy is in the mail to me.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    ECM is releasing a Jack DeJohnette session,Made In Chicago, in January.Muhal Richard Abrams, Roscoe Mitchell,Henry Threadgill,Larry Grey(a Chicago based double bass player)and DeJohnette are on board.
    That was a great concert. Didn't know it was being released on CD.

This is the only available clip of of Jimmy Giuffre 3 and 4 1965 Concerts 2-cd set released earlier this year.This is a trio track, with Richard Davis-bass and Joe Chambers-drums.Giuffre on clarinet.I prefer the quartet tracks, with Don Friedman-piano,Barre Phillips-bass and Joe Chambers-drums.The quartet tracks sound more..together,as if they were worked on /rehearsed more than the trio tracks,also, Don Friedman is quite impressive on piano,he sounds right at home in Giuffre's musical conceptions.Superb sound.And remember, this was 1965!!!

Last edited by walt; 12-14-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Joe Harriott-Amancio D'Silva Quartet-Hum Dono. This 1969 session is finally out on cd, and its about fucking time.Harriott on alto sax,D'Silva on guitar, Dave Green-bass,Bryan Spring-drums.Norma Winstone on vox on a few tracks, Ian Carr on flugelhorn on a couple of tracks. [/video]
    One of THE missing Brit-Jazz classics, IMO. Our copies are on the way, so I haven't heard this reissue yet, but all the Vocalion reissues have been very well done, so I'm sure it will to too.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I've got this playing right now because my wife demanded to hear some Christmas music. It's not what she had in mind but damn, this is just fine.

http://open.salon.com/blog/grahamneg...ve_never_heard
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart