Page 17 of 147 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    There is Jazz that some say doesn't swing, in a traditional way. And there's plenty of "through-composed" music that many people call Jazz. But in general, I think Swing and Improv are vital to Jazz.
    This reminded me of one time when I saw a tv show where they came back from playing a video of a tune that would be considered jazz, but the guest, a fairly well-known jazz critic (and possibly a NYC DJ) said, "It sounded like it was all written down in advance." Now it's bugging me that I can't recall his name, but I remember a vague resemblance to Buck Henry. I'm thinking it was on VH-1 New Visions, but I could be mistaken.

We're going to the Newport Jazz Festival road show here in Madcity tomorrow night. Randy Brecker & Karrin Allyson I'm very familiar with.

Can anyone tell me about sax player Anat Cohen?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Can anyone tell me about sax player Anat Cohen?
    She seems to stick more to the trad side of things. There's a ton of things to check out on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Another thing about bebop is that it was often played at brisk tempos; too fast to dance to. The practitioners like Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie often wrote tunes that sounded something like improvisations over the forms of blues and/or tin pan alley show tunes.
    Only the original cats could dance to bop.

Yet another 70s session from Strata-East that,afaik,hasn't made it to cd.The Piano Choir-Handscapes.Stanley Cowell and several other pianists,playing acoustic and electric piano, harpsichord and percussion.

Recorded live, not the best recording and a bit ragged in spots, but, imo, a great feel.Enjoy.The tune is Jaboobie's March.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    She seems to stick more to the trad side of things. There's a ton of things to check out on youtube.
    She's also better known as a clarinetist than a saxophonist, though she's great on both...

Tightrope by 3 Cohens is quite good, Anat with her siblings Yuval (soprano sax) and Avishai (trumpet) and Fred Hersch, an interesting mix of tunes by Monk, Dameron, Ellington, Mulligan along with originals. Pretty eclectic stuff....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

What Chet Baker DVDs do (any of) you recommend? also what's a good bio to read?

^^^^^ with regard to the latter question, go with Deep In A Dream: The Long Night of Chet Baker.

I agree with you completely, and think Black Codes and Jmood are unbelievably good. There's a moment on the first track of Jmood where something happens and the world just opens up, 0 to 60, I'm telling you, but I'm talking impact, not speed. Very very good. I was impatient with his shift to New Orleans-ish sounds -- picking up on the trumpet mannerisms of the Ellington Cotton Club days -- but I'm much less an ideologue these days. Enjoy the heck out of it. Even the one with the sermon written be Stanley Crouch. I can't believe I used to get pissed off because of this sort of thing. Who has the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Tiresias View Post
    I've been on a huge Wynton Marsalis binge. Because of his many ridiculous (IMNSO) statements about what jazz is and should be, and his commentary about things like Miles Davis's clothes, I wanted so much not to like his music, but alas, resistance was futile. His earlier records, anyway, are sublime (e.g., the debut, Think of One, and the masterpiece and my favorite, Black Codes from the Underground). I've ordered a couple more that are on their way (J Mood, Live at Blues Alley and the not so early in his career, Citi Movement). I happen to love brother Branford's playing as well. Any other fans? Detractors?
    Gary Chapin

French accordion blog: http://www.accordeonaire.blogspot.com

So, I'm on a Wayne Shorter binge. Just listening to everything from the blue note stuff to his newest, Without a Net, which is amazing and started the whole binge.

http://rd.io/x/QWjoYyJ5D5Q/
    Gary Chapin

French accordion blog: http://www.accordeonaire.blogspot.com

Planechant, I have the same reaction with JMood. I think it's Wynton's best, still, though I like Black Codes as well. I also really enjoy Standard Time, Vol. I, in particular the arrangement of Autumn Leaves, where they subdivide the melody rhythmically --first with one note in the first measure, then two notes over the second measure, then three notes over the third....it's really a cool arrangement.

But a Wayne Shorter binge, now THAT is something I can get with.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I also really enjoy Standard Time, Vol. I

Great record! I forgot to mention that one. His version of Caravan is smoking hot!

Quote Originally Posted by Planechant View Post
    Jmood are unbelievably good.
    Listened to this a few times last night and loved it! Tonight I am going to check out Citi Movement, which I've heard is excellent.

Killer tune from Wynton's debut:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6vzZWAd-k_I&feature=kp

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Yet another 70s session from Strata-East that,afaik,hasn't made it to cd.The Piano Choir-Handscapes.Stanley Cowell and several other pianists,playing acoustic and electric piano, harpsichord and percussion.

Recorded live, not the best recording and a bit ragged in spots, but, imo, a great feel.Enjoy.The tune is Jaboobie's March.
    Speaking of Cowell's Strata East label, John Betsch' Society... a return

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

this from their only album

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    NP:

Just arrived today.
    Just re-listened to the whole thing. Enjoyed all three discs very much. The bonus disc really makes it for me!

Had me thinking of this one from Strata East - Sonny Fortune...

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Stumbled onto this great set w/ Blood Ulmer and Sam Rivers.

^^^^^^^^

Smokin'.Thanks for posting this, Reid.

Glad you enjoyed it, Walt. I like hearing Rivers in this context. I wish it was on a CD.

Probably no point in starting a dedicated thread:

RIP Fred Ho

http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/04/14/fred-ho-lives/

I dig Tomorrow Is Now and The Way Of The Saxophone. A heavy cat.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Just read that a 2cd release is coming this spring..concerts by Jimmy Giuffre from 1965 in NYC..One cd is a trio with Giuffre, Richard Davis-bass-Joe Chambers-drums;Cd #2 is a quartet with Giuffre,Don Friedmann-piano,Joe Chambers-drums, and Barre Phillips-bass.

A record producer who knows about such things says this is a legit release.If so, this is exciting news, to me, at least.No word as to sound quality.

I'll be watching for this.
    This is for real.It's available for pre-order on Amazon.I ordered mine from a British vendor in the hopes it will be released sooner over there.Check out the clips linked below.I'm really really looking forward to this.

http://jazztimes.com/articles/125585...to-be-released

http://www.allmusic.com/album/jimmy-...s-mw0002645428
    Last edited by walt; 04-29-2014 at 05:33 AM.