Thread: JAZZ Discussion

saw Dave Holland's Prism last night.....catch them, if they come to your town. Pretty fusion-ish stuff....a Bitches Brew vibe at times, and early Mahvishnu at others...but beyond all those things.

Mosaic comes through(again) with a corker.Clifford Jordan Strata-East sessions,6 cd box.Two sessions lead by Jordan(In The World/Glass Bead Games);.Cecil Payne-Zodiac;Charles Brackeen-Rhythm X;Pharoah Sanders-Izipho Zam;Wilbur Ware-Super Bass

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinf...g_et=266843200
    Last edited by walt; 10-19-2013 at 08:53 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Mosaic comes through(again) with a corker.Clifford Jordan Strata-East sessions,6 cd box.Two sessions lead by Jordan(In The World/Glass Bead Games);.Cecil Payne-Zodiac;Charles Brackeen-Rhythm X;Pharoah Sanders-Izipho Zam;Wilbur Ware-Super Bass
    I'll probably get this one, but it's kind of a funny package in that Jordan himself doesn't play on most of the recordings.

And speaking of boxed sets, Aum Fidelity has an 8-CD William Parker box coming out next month - all previously unreleased live recordings - at a rock bottom price of 60 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    I'll probably get this one, but it's kind of a funny package in that Jordan himself doesn't play on most of the recordings.

And speaking of boxed sets, Aum Fidelity has an 8-CD William Parker box coming out next month - all previously unreleased live recordings - at a rock bottom price of 60 bucks.
    I know. When I first saw it I figured it was 6 cds of Clifford Jordan sessions.But this is the proverbial no- brainer for me.There's a couple of titles on it i've wanted for a while, so my pre-order is in.
    Last edited by walt; 10-20-2013 at 06:43 AM.

Aum Fidelity has an 8-CD William Parker box coming out next month - all previously unreleased live recordings - at a rock bottom price of 60 bucks.
    "...featuring drummer Hamid Drake, alto saxophonist Rob Brown, and trumpeter Lewis Barnes. These four musicians appear on each album, in both core & expanded form together with special guests Billy Bang, Bobby Bradford, James Spaulding; Cooper-Moore; Eri Yamamoto, Leena Conquest, and members of the Association for the Encouragement of Improvised Music (AMR) based in Geneva, Switzerland."

Autobuy.

I'll probably spring for the Jordan, even though I have the Ware, Payne, and Sanders sides.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

The Parker box is essential. I'll not be reviewing it, no time, so cannot count as one of my best for the year, but if I did I would be including it. It's absolutely epic. If you like the o'neal's porch band and variants thereof, don't pass on this one!

Listening to this stream on NPR - rather transcendent I think

http://www.npr.org/event/music/24050...03&utm_source=
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm working through my Brad Mehldau box, some Esbjörn Svensson (though the occasional electronics are disconcerting). Any other contemporary piano trios I should be aware of?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Which Meldau box? THe Art of the Trio?
    Gary Chapin

French accordion blog: http://www.accordeonaire.blogspot.com

Yep, Art of the Trio. Man, that was a lot of music for a decent price.

I love that set. I could put it on shuffle for a whole week at a time and be happy. And that doesn't answer your question, but I don't actually have an answer to your question. I stopped looking for more piano trios when I discovered Mehldau.
    Gary Chapin

French accordion blog: http://www.accordeonaire.blogspot.com

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    some Esbjörn Svensson (though the occasional electronics are disconcerting).
    That's an odd thing to say on a prog-rock web site.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Any other contemporary piano trios I should be aware of?
    Fairly recent:

Frank Kimborough ~ Live@Kitano
    Craig Taborn ~ Chants
    Marilyn Crispell ~ Azure (a duo w/Gary Peacock, but wtf!).....

[QUOTE=Jerjo;187085. Any other contemporary piano trios I should be aware of?[/QUOTE]

I've been digging a piano-bass-drums cd by New Zion Trio-Fight Against Babylon.With Jamie Saft on acoustic piano and Fender Rhodes,Larry Grenadier on acoustic bass, and Craig Santiago on drums.The idea seems to be to reconcile jazz and dub reggae aesthetics in the piano trio setup.

So far, so good.After a couple of listens it holds my interest.This is a keeper.

Last edited by walt; 11-26-2013 at 06:24 AM.

The latest batch of budget-priced Black Saint/Soul Note boxed sets have been released by CAM Jazz recently, including Oliver Lake, Andrew Cyrille, David Murray Vol. 2 (looks like duos/trios/quartets after the complete Octet recordings in the previous box), Paul Bley, and Art Farmer. Also part of the series is an 11-CD Giorgio Gaslini "Complete Dischi Della Quercia Recordings" which I'm quite intrigued by even though I've only ever heard one album from him. As always the boxes are priced at a per-unit price of about $5-6.

The latest batch of budget-priced Black Saint/Soul Note boxed sets have been released by CAM Jazz recently, including Oliver Lake, Andrew Cyrille, David Murray Vol. 2 (looks like duos/trios/quartets after the complete Octet recordings in the previous box), Paul Bley, and Art Farmer. Also part of the series is an 11-CD Giorgio Gaslini "Complete Dischi Della Quercia Recordings"
    The Andrew Cyrille box is the one for me.A very tempting array of records by Cyrille,a couple i owned on wax back in olden days but never acquired on disc.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Fairly recent:

Frank Kimborough ~ Live@Kitano
    Craig Taborn ~ Chants
    Marilyn Crispell ~ Azure (a duo w/Gary Peacock, but wtf!).....
    All great. Farther back, there's Tete Montoliu, which I think a lot of people haven't heard....if you're familiar with the great piano trios, etc. Hiromi, of course, with fusion leanings....

For more straight-up, more recent stuff...Richie Beirach. Steve Kuhn. Mulgrew Miller. Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Randy Weston, Michel Petrucciani. Vijay Iyer! Jason Moran! Bobo Stenson, Marc Copland, Enrico Pieranunzi. So many more.....

Oh, yeah...and Fred Hersch.

RIP Chico Hamilton.

A track from Chico Hamilton's superb 1962 record Drumfusion.Chico Hamilton-drums,Gabor Szabo-guitar,Charles Lloyd-sax/flute,Albert Stinson-bass,Garnett Brown-trombone.

Just heard one of the finest albums I have heard in quite some time. Jimmy Raney's 1983 work, "the Master". He certainly was. It certainly is.

His renditions of the first 3 cuts: "The Song is You", "Billie's Bounce", and "Along Came Betty" are incredible. Impeccable tone, beautiful phrasing, wonderful lines. I could study these choruses for weeks on end and it would musically make my year.

The greatest exponent of bebop on the guitar. Criminally not well known except perhaps by jazz guitarists.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Jimmy Raney's 1983 work, "the Master".
    I don't know this album--although I saw him around that time--but his stuff from the 50s is killer. His son Doug ain't bad either......

RIP Amiri Baraka (aka LeRoi Jones)

A dedicated thread seems pointless, so I'll post this here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entert...5f6_print.html

His politics were often problematic, but he knew the music. A major thinker about jazz, he was a huge influence on my own tastes and views about the music, and his books--especially Blues People:....--remain required reading.

I recall hearing about him standing outside of Studio We, an NYC "loft scene" space in the 70s, berating people who were attending a performance there for expoliting black music/musicians. In the 80s he was presenting concerts at his home in Newark where I talked with him a few times, and he couldn't have been more gracious.

I don't know this album--although I saw him around that time--but his stuff from the 50s is killer. His son Doug ain't bad either......
    You can hear it on Spotify and buy it off iTunes.

He's playing with a Euro rhythm section. Fantastic interaction. Format is standard (head, everyone queues up and takes a chorus, head). But the playing is wonderful.

RIP Amiri Baraka (aka LeRoi Jones)

A dedicated thread seems pointless, so I'll post this here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entert...5f6_print.html

His politics were often problematic, but he knew the music. A major thinker about jazz, he was a huge influence on my own tastes and views about the music, and his books--especially Blues People:....--remain required reading.

I recall hearing about him standing outside of Studio We, an NYC "loft scene" space in the 70s, berating people who were attending a performance there for expoliting black music/musicians. In the 80s he was presenting concerts at his home in Newark where I talked with him a few times, and he couldn't have been more gracious.
    He seemed to be an honest cat who admitted past failings and seemed to be always searching and evolving (Beat poet, Black Nationalist, convert to Islam, convert to Maoism, et al) but, nonetheless, remained steadfast to the issues of social justice in general and to art, literature, poetry, jazz and music in particular. He seemed to also be an unrepentant Newark resident forever who was active in his community and also someone who also experienced profound family tragedy/deaths around him.

I should go dig out my copy of "Blues People". I seem to remember that the murder of Malcom X was a very seminal and important turning point in his life.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Picked up my tickets to see John Abercrombie's Quartet in a month.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.