Page 12 of 147 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

It's two discs of solo piano pieces, recorded at two private parties held by a Warner Bros. executive at his house, in Beverly Hills, in 1955 Just a few months before he passed....

You need it, Ernie. Everyone needs it, in my opinion. One of the greatest musicians ever.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    You need it, Ernie.
    I know, but I have to pay credit card debts and the IRS off first. I've actually got a lot of work this month and am making some decent $$$, but it's all spoken for. Responsibility before fun...
    Last edited by No Pride; 05-15-2013 at 02:57 PM.

I found this one at a record store last weekend. Recorded at the Vanguard in '67 with Philly Joe Jones on drums.
    Mostly all upbeat, extroverted playing, which is unusual for Evans.

http://chickcorea.com/wp/live-concer...incoln-center/

Must see for readers/posters of this thread. Live video stream of Chick Corea with Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Center Jazz orchestra. Now (intermission for a few more minutes), tomorrow and Saturday, 8pm et. Enjoy. Smoking re-interpretations of Chick and RTF tunes so far.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Just heard Mulgrew Miller passed....posted a new thread about it.

I've been listening to pretty much straight-up Jazz for a couple weeks now.....digging into the Cool/West Coast stuff I haven't really spent enough time with......

Listening to Mike Mainieri with Charlie Mariano and Dieter Ilg, "Crescent." A live, unrehearsed recording focusing on Coltrane material. It's pretty great.

Listening to....
    .... Frank Kimbrough's trio date, Live At Kitano.

Caught Ed Palermo's Big Band (17 pieces) the other night. I'd call it a rock-jazz big band, with a heavy bias toward Zappa's material, but also with some hip Beatles arrangements, and a killing "Whipping Post". Great fun....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post

Caught Ed Palermo's Big Band (17 pieces) the other night. I'd call it a rock-jazz big band, with a heavy bias toward Zappa's material, but also with some hip Beatles arrangements, and a killing "Whipping Post". Great fun....
    The CDs I've heard from them seem to be very mannered (i.e., tame). Do they rip it up a bit live or is the vibe all "in the pocket"?

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    The CDs I've heard from them seem to be very mannered (i.e., tame). Do they rip it up a bit live or is the vibe all "in the pocket"?
    I can't speak to the CDs; I picked up Big Band Zappa (with Chris Potter & Dave Samuels) but haven't spun it as of yet. The arrangements are very well-rehearsed but with plenty of solo space (Palermo pointed to soloists "on the spot").

It was a predetermined setlist (no "whaddya wanna play now?" stuff), often with transitions from one piece to the next, but the vibe was loose. "Mannered" isn't how I'd characterize it; they kicked some serious ass. And Palermo's a funny mofo.

I saw the Branford Marsalis quartet last night in Burlington, VT as part of their annual Discover Jazz festival. First time seeing BM. They were amazing. We were given tickets - ended up in the sixth row. Sweet!

Jon Fishman of Phish was in the audience nearby. You'd never know he's rather well off by the look of him.

Listening to Darcy James Argue's Secret Society's new recording--Brooklyn Babylon.

Ambitious. Pretty amazing, after one listen. This is one that is going to get close attention and multiple spins.

The Paul Motian ECM box is getting mucho spins here at Chateau Walt.The trio dates with Charles Brackeen are top shelf.Amazing stuff that I hadn't heard before.

Looking forward for the re-issue of John Carter-Bobby Bradford Quartet from 1969-Flight For Four,originally on Flying Dutchman.Should be out mid-July on International Phonograph, the same folks that put out Bill Dixon-Intents And Purposes and Julius Hemphill-Dogon A.D.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Listening to Darcy James Argue's Secret Society's new recording--Brooklyn Babylon.

Ambitious. Pretty amazing, after one listen. This is one that is going to get close attention and multiple spins.

Ab-so-frickin-loo-lee!

Close to supplanting Maria S as my favorite big band on the scene, today. Love this guy, his arrangements, his amazing audio-visual ideas. Progressive to the very core.

Bumping this discussion as it may have gotten lost.

I finally got around to listening to the live disc "Unfinished Highballs" from the reissue box of Terje Rypdal's Odyssey. This is quite the archival live release and really brings alive what the band was doing at the time. Great stuff!
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Listening to the Teddy Charles Tentet right now....

You know, I only played that disc off the Odyssey box once and it was just the first song. It seemed so foreign to the actual Odyssey album I just filed it away. Felt more like Pierre Dørge & New Jungle Orchestra to me.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    You know, I only played that disc off the Odyssey box once and it was just the first song. It seemed so foreign to the actual Odyssey album I just filed it away. Felt more like Pierre Dørge & New Jungle Orchestra to me.
    Well, it was a whole new set of material, written specifically for this collaboration with the Swedish Radio Jazz Band, so it would be expected to be different.i love it, but must admit I turn to the actual Odyssey album more often. Not because I don't like Unfinished Highballs - it's great - Odyssey is just greater

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomview View Post
    Just picked up Andrew Hill's Grassroots. Killer!
    Never much cared for this one but haven't listened to it in ages; will spin it later and see.

As I type, I'm digging Drew Gress's new one, The Sky Inside (w/ Berne, Taborn, Alessi, and Rainey).

I figure posting this item in the jazz thread makes as much,or more, sense than starting a new thread(which would likely die a quick death).

Simon H Fell is a British double bass player/improvisor/composer who has tried,in his music, to reconcile jazz, free improv and aspects of 20th century classical music.The cd SFQ-Thirteen Rectangles released in 2003 is one that i've enjoyed and played from time to time.It reminds me, at times, of some of Anthony Braxton's small ensemble works.The instrumentation is Simon Fell-double bass,Alex Ward-clarinet,Gail Brand-trombone,Alex McGuire-piano,and Steve Noble drums.I post a link that plays 4 compositions from SFQ-Thirteen Rectangles.Enjoy.
    http://sfqmusic.bandcamp.com/album/thirteen-rectangles

I just discovered this the other night: Herbie Hancock and the New Standard All-Stars:
    Herbie Hancock, John Scofield, Michael Brecker, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette and Don Alias. What a lineup!

I've got to be careful now that YT has enabled the ability to upload full concerts; this could be highly addictive!

Jean Derome,Canadian saxophone player/composer released a cd called Jean Derome et les Dangereux Zhomes-Carnets de Voyage.Damn good music,avant but accessible.I've been enjoying it for a few years.Here's a short track from the cd, titled Zuripari.Instrumentation is sax, trombone, guitar, bass, keyboards,drums.

Playing this compilation right now:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/32-gem...z-mw0000047094
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Playing this compilation right now:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/32-gem...z-mw0000047094
    Good stuff.Thanks for posting it.

Just received this:

image.jpg

Haven't had a chance to spin it, but the packaging is nice with liner notes, musician listings and recording dates/locations.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.